Faithlife EBooks and Logos Reading Plan?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 75
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 4 2019 6:07 AM

Can any of the Faithlife ebooks be read with the Logos reading plan function?  Using the reading plan is very helpful to me, but I'd like to be sure a Faithlife ebook can be read with it before I purchase it.  Otherwise, I'll purchase it in Kindle format.  The price is the same.

The e-book I'm considering is Rediscovering the Holy Spirit by Michael Horton.

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2019 6:19 AM

A reading plan can be created for any book in Logos (including personal books, although the books are unavailable on mobile). FLEB titles (as you have inquired) often don't have as many milestones, so you may need to be creative in how you create your plan. For example, you can create a custom reading plan by selecting (click/drag) each days reading. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 75
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2019 6:32 AM

So FLEB titles can be read with the reading plan function?  I'm a little unclear on what "don't have as many milestones" means.

Posts 10127
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2019 9:52 AM

David R. Bess:

So FLEB titles can be read with the reading plan function?  I'm a little unclear on what "don't have as many milestones" means.

Yes they can. They don't have page, or date, or bible milestones. So if you want Logos to automatically create the plan for you, this will work best when you have exactly the same number of sessions as are chapters in the Logos ToC - I just picked a random FLEB title to prove

Thus the readings break neatly at the chapter breaks (verified all of them). One can put the start date into the past to get cover page etc away.

Alternatively, one can mark sections in the book and generate a custom reading plan, as suggested above. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2019 11:04 AM

David R. Bess:

Mick seemed to explain it well, but if you still have questions we can help. I will say that sometimes FLEB titles are EASIER to create reading plans than "Logos Edition" resources. The reading plan feature could use some improvement!

To answer your general question, I don't think there is any reason why you should not purchase the Kindle version over the FLEB one based on what you have described. 

Posts 10127
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2019 2:34 PM

JT (alabama24):
I don't think there is any reason why you should not purchase the Kindle version over the FLEB one

Ah, well. The FLEB resource will be part of the Logos ecosystem, so will potentially come up in searches, will be able to have Logos' much more elaborated highlights and notes applied to it. It will help build a valuable library.

Based on the OP, it will of course be able to be read from a Reading Plan - does Kindle even offer such a functionality? Never seen it - and when reading it, bible references will automatically display and all the other Logos stuff is only a click away. FLEB books are way better than Kindle resources (with the one exception that HCCP doesn't allow those they publish to be sold internationally).   

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 75
David R. Bess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 4 2019 3:05 PM

I'll probably opt for the Faithlife format, since it can read with the reading plan.  Breaking a book down in a reading plan is very helpful to me.  It also keeps more of my theological books in the same system.

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 5 2019 5:59 AM

NB.Mick:
Ah, well.

David R. Bess:
I'll probably opt for the Faithlife format,

I am glad that you chose wisely. The above was a typo on my part as I wrote it on my phone. Smile

I meant to say, "I don't see any reason you should purchase the Kindle version over the FLEB." Embarrassed

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS