Open Theism resources

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 39 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 5:07 PM

Kendall, perhaps the way this thread has turned might be a good time to suggest that editorializing comments that seem derogatory toward other  theological viewpoints have no useful place in the forum.

Your suggestions are good, and I welcome them.  The rest of the original post wasn't too helpful, however.  There are people from all backgrounds on these forums, from fundamentalist Baptist to Roman Catholic.  Because forums are a poor medium to convey nuance as well as being far too easy to spout off and click "post", take great care in just getting to the point. 

As for Calvinist books, there are a lot of them because they sell, and because there are several scholars of that theological outlook who are competent, popular, and prolific writers.

Anyway, I welcome your suggestions, and wonder if you have any more open theism books you'd like to see beyond the two or three mentioned.  I encourage you to put together a list of 5 or 10 and not only post them on suggestions, but also send the list to suggest@logos.com

thanks!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 6:21 PM

Dan DeVilder:

I would like to see more Open Theism resources.  Besides one you mentioned, how about The God Who Risks by John Sanders.

Since I am living in Will Roger's home state i will borrow (& butcher) one of his famous phrases to say, "I have never met a Logos resource I didn't like."

I would bid on Open Theism works in Community Pricing. But I would rather see Paul Tillich & a host of other "left-fielders" before I'd place a Pre-Pub order on it.

As far as the comedians go............. yes, the comments were humorous but they weren't all that nice to the original poster. I hope he takes them in the light-heartedness i think they were said in.

fwiw: There is no way I could ever embrace Open Theism because I KNOW God is omni-*, sovereign, and intimately interested in his children. And it is nice to know on this Father's Day, just whose child you are. Yes Cool

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 109
Larry Heflin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 8:47 PM

The Collected Works of John Frame http://www.logos.com/products/details/3586 contains several works addressing open theism. But, on a second reading of your post, I suppose he's not what you're looking for.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 20 2010 8:47 PM

Matthew C Jones:

fwiw: There is no way I could ever embrace Open Theism because I KNOW God is omni-*, sovereign, and intimately interested in his children. And it is nice to know on this Father's Day, just whose child you are. Yes Cool

And a hearty amen to that.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:19 AM

Matthew C Jones:
There is no way I could ever embrace Open Theism because I KNOW God is omni-*,

I agree, but do you think that God realizes He's omni-*?

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:52 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Matthew C Jones:
There is no way I could ever embrace Open Theism because I KNOW God is omni-*,

Smile He has probably learned it by now if He's been reading this thread! Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:04 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Very good of you to point out my very bad statement. It kinda leaves the definition "open" to whatever interpretation anybody chooses to assign to it. Could it be similar to Open Theism?

In light of your post I must clarify, instead of assuming everybody understands what "omni-*"  could possibly mean.

God is omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient.
(The last attribute means God does in fact know that he knows. Geeked )

To keep it relevant to Logos I have a couple resources that open deists could read:
The Existence and Attributes of God  http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/EXATTGOD
The Attributes of God, Volume One http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/ATTRGOD1
The Attributes of God, Volume Two http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/ATTRGOD2

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:58 AM

Just a few more open theism works that Logos would consider.  The original post is looking for works that support open theism, not against it.  Any good suggestions for works against open theism should be started in another thread, thank you all!

Basinger, David. The Case for Freewill Theism: A Philosophical Assessment. Downers
Grove, IL: IVP, 1996.

Borgman, Paul. Genesis: The Story We Haven’t Heard. Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity
Press, 2001.

Beilby, James and Eddy, Paul. Eds. Divine Foreknowledge: Four Views. Downers Grove,
IL: IVP, 2001.

________. Satan and the Problem of Evil: Constructing a Trinitarian Warfare
Theodicy. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2001.

________. God At War: The Bible and Spiritual Conflict. Downers Grove: IVP, 1997

Hasker, William. Providence, Evil, and the Openness of God, London: Routledge, 2004.

Hayes, Joel S. The Foreknowledge of God; Or, The Omniscience of God Consistent with
His Own Holiness and Man’s Free Agency. Nashville: Publishing House of the
M[ethodist] E[piscopal] Church, South, 1890.

Pinnock, Clark H. and Cobb, John B. Jr., eds., Searching for an Adequate God: A
Dialogue Between Process and Free Will Theists, William B. Eerdmans, 2000

Polkinghorne, John. Ed. The Work of Love: Creation as Kenosis. Grand Rapids, MI:
Eerdmans, 2001

--thanks to a online compilation by John Sanders.  There are more works and journal articles.  This is merely a representation.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 5:01 AM

Apparently this Logos work is supportive of open theism: (it was on such a bibiography)

http://www.logos.com/products/details/4523

(specifically Goldingay's vol. 1 of Old Testament Theology)

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:04 AM

Rosie Perera:

Thats funny on so many levels...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 9:10 AM

Rosie Perera:

Here is a short article that lays out just that viewpoint. But I don't think the author was laughing when he wrote it.

FOREKNOWLEDGE: There's More Than Meets God's Eye by Rev. James M. Harrison
http://home.flash.net/~thinkman/articles/foreknow.htm

I may be reading him incorrectly but Harrison's conclusion seems to be you must either be fully Calvinist or Open Theist. I personally believe........

We need more Logos resources on open theism!   (Did you really want to hear another theological tirade? Devil )

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:56 PM

Here's another one that I have in a print edition, which has an approving blurb on the back from Clark Pinnock. It describes ten models, including two chapters on the openness model, and then offers the author's own proposal which he calls a "Middle Knowledge Calvinist Model."

Tiessen, Terrance. Providence & Prayer: How Does God Work in the World? (IVP, 2000). Table of Contents.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 2:38 AM

Here's another Logos resource that has some coverage of openness theology and process theology:

No One Like Him: The Doctrine of God (John S. Feinberg) 

I'm not sure where he finally comes down in the end, but it seems from the description that he gives a fair hearing to open theism:

Many contemporary theologians claim that the classical picture of God painted by Augustine and Aquinas is both outmoded and unbiblical. But rather than abandoning the traditional view completely, John Feinberg seeks a reconstructed model—one that reflects the ongoing advances in human understanding of God's revelation while recognizing the unchanging nature of God and His Word. Feinberg begins by exploring the contemporary concepts of God, particularly the openness and process views, and then studies God's being, nature, and acts—all to articulate a mediating understanding of God not just as the King, but the King who cares!

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:32 AM

I'd just like to say that I am sorry for saying what I did about Logos. My comments were unfair and I repent of them. I hope anyone who may have been offended will forgive me. I love Logos and I am looking forward to having more resources on it in the future. God bless you all!

Smile

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:44 AM

Oh, and by the way, I forgot to say on my last post, a big Beijing thank you to all who gave me suggestions. I am new to the Open Theism reading area, so I didn't know what resources to ask for other than the small amount that I mentioned. As my familiarity grows, I will no doubt add more to the list.

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:03 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
I'd just like to say that I am sorry for saying what I did about Logos.

Apology accepted!  The thing is, we could do a line up of all the stupid things forum members have said--and probably just about every "MVP" would be included too.  It would be an impressive list of quotations!  Yeah, and most of them are sinners, too.  SurpriseWink

Posts 3914
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 5:04 AM

lol, rereading my own post--not saying you were "stupid," I was just ahhh, ummm, I should've quite while I was ahead . . .

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 1:15 PM

Here's another suggestion, still in pre-pub but under development, so it probably shouldn't be too long a wait: Across the Spectrum: Understanding Issues in Evangelical Theology, by Greg Boyd and Paul Eddy (Baker Academic). Check out the Table of Contents in the preview pages. It's got a whole chapter on the Foreknowledge Debate, presenting the Arminian view, the Calvinist view, and finishing with the Open view. As you know, Boyd is the author of God of the Possible: A Biblical Introduction to the Open View of God (not yet predestined to end up in Logos format, though with God all things are possible Smile), so we can be pretty sure where Across the Spectrum comes down on that topic. Looking through the TOC, it looks like there's some other meaty content in there. I've just put in an order for this book.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 2:41 PM

Rosie Perera:
though with God all things are possible

I noticed the disciples try to limit God's choice between two fellows in Acts 1:23. God apparently did the impossible and drew a lot for Paul (Saul of Tarsus) instead. Since there are only 12 seats for Apostles in Heaven Paul & Matthias will have to duke it out....................

Much as we try to put God in a box, he just won't fit.Big Smile

(Off-topic: ROSIE,  I'll email you soon.)

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 7:37 AM

Kendall,

I really like and enjoy the theory of Open Theism, although I would not classify my self as an open theist...at least not yet. I had to do some work on Open Theism in grad school and would be glad to share my resources with you. Shoot me an email to "dbuckham" (and the rest is) "gmail" (and of course that is) dot com. 

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS