Vulgar title on prepub

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 58 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 7424
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 13 2019 4:38 AM

According to google and other places, the word included in this title is inappropriate for a scholarly work.  I’m surprised no one has said anything about this.  Many were whining when Dracula made it to Logos and now this.  I wonder what the author is trying to accomplish with such title? Then of course, cursing is tolerated by many who don’t mind posting F-bombs in Facebook and what not; so I’m sure many won’t mind having this since according to today’s standards this particular word is considered “Cool.” Here’s the link in case the picture doesn’t show: https://www.logos.com/product/185678/burying-white-privilege-resurrecting-a-badass-christianity 

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 5:04 AM

I personally don't like a subtitle like this but, from reading about this resource more, it appears the author is doing this purposefully in order to evoke an emotional response, especially from those of "white privilege".

Here is one review that explains this further - https://pres-outlook.org/2019/05/burying-white-privilege-resurrecting-a-badass-christianity/ This is a quote from the review:

"This book is a tough reading assignment. The language is intentionally and effectively provocative, rather than a clinical diagnosis with objective language and a clear protocol for addressing the disease. The book has no intention of offering either a happy ending or a how-to guide. Instead, it is a mirror with harsh lighting, intended to expose flaws with genuine righteous indignation. And it is unrelenting, because De La Torre anticipates the reader’s defense mechanism – an inclination to respond, “But I’m not like that!” – and shows how that response itself is characteristic of privilege."

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 11075
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 6:38 AM

Vulgar, as common. As the base for the Vulgate. Maybe usage these days, but I'd not be offended, since the meaning is well beyond its root meaning.

That's not to argue that DAL is wrong. I'd assume culture.

I don't know about a generalized privilege (lots of poor), but race is definitely alive and well in the 'church'. Of course, I voted myself, for the Roman Senate, to stop those awful Galatian Christians from entering our Achaia. More seriously, Jerusalemites knew exactly who the Galileans were.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3727
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 6:57 AM

Thanks for the link.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 31
Christopher Bucklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 7:25 AM

Bruce Dunning:

"De La Torre anticipates the reader’s defense mechanism – an inclination to respond, “But I’m not like that!” – and shows how that response itself is characteristic of privilege."

Ah, the old "If you're white, admission of your racism is evidence that you're racist, and denial of your racism is ALSO evidence that you are racist." Nothing wrong with that logic at all. "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Honestly, the blatant false narrative of this book is more offensive than the inappropriate language in the title. Still, the addition of the inappropriate language in the title is bothersome, especially on a website I normally feel safe to have my kids navigate.

Posts 7424
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 8:15 AM

For a Cuban, he definitely has some nerve writing a book like that.  He’s bashing America when Cuba is in no better shape.  I was going to mention racism, but I didn’t want to spark more controversy (De la Torre ironically comes across as racist himself).

Yep, the book is definitely ironic.  The saying ” Preacher, preach to yourself” rightly applies to this guy.  It’s a pattern with cubans.  Trust me, living in Florida and dealing with quite a few of them has helped me to get to know them really well.  Cuba is number 1 and they wanna fight for their country from here, but when they’re in their country all they want to do is run away and keep quiet.  It’s easier to criticize someone else’s country and be bold about it than actually taking the beam out of your own eye first.

Irony o ironies!

DAL

Posts 1083
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 10:00 AM

Our language is definitely coarsening. I truly regret that, but it's likely one of the least of our problems as a society.  I question the wisdom of using coarse language as a means of provocation.  Having said that, I'm neither surprised nor offended that Faithlife would offer this work.  It has absolutely no appeal to me - but I suspect I'm not in the author's target audience. If I were, he'd likely have chosen a different title. But that's ok. It's not all about me, or about people like me.

Posts 5322
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 12:24 PM

Christopher Bucklin:

Bruce Dunning:

"De La Torre anticipates the reader’s defense mechanism – an inclination to respond, “But I’m not like that!” – and shows how that response itself is characteristic of privilege."

Ah, the old "If you're white, admission of your racism is evidence that you're racist, and denial of your racism is ALSO evidence that you are racist." Nothing wrong with that logic at all. "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Honestly, the blatant false narrative of this book is more offensive than the inappropriate language in the title. Still, the addition of the inappropriate language in the title is bothersome, especially on a website I normally feel safe to have my kids navigate.

This is the book that everybody who cares about contemporary American Christianity will want to read.”

So if you don’t read the book then you don’t care about contemporary American Christianity ?

Personally not overly concerned about the title. Context needs to be considered before getting offended by it. And obviously it is being used by the publisher / author to draw attention to the book and distinguish it from the next book on the shelf - to get it noticed - which it has been effective in doing since we are discussing it.

Each has their own way to parent and knows their children better than others but generally speaking if a child saw this title I would see it as a discussion starter with that child rather than seeing it as something to protect them from seeing in the first place. With each child being different the nature of conversation would vary accordingly.

For me as presented the premises of the book come across in a way that the book doesn’t appeal to me as one to pick up and read but if I was researching this topic I might purchase purely to gain this authors perspective to get a wide view of the topic. Reading only what appealed to me would or I agreed with would be pointless.

Posts 29391
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 1:01 PM

Christopher Bucklin:

You've read it? Will you please give an outline of its argument? Thanks.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2460
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 1:06 PM

I'm seeing more books that tell me the church cares more about what the world thinks rather than caring more about the mission of telling what God thinks to the world. 

It's not the title that is the problem.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 19
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 1:44 PM

I'm really not sure I would consider that to be "vulgar."  Should it be on the cover of an academic work?  Probably not.  But vulgar?  Far from it.

Posts 11075
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 1:56 PM

mab:

I'm seeing more books that tell me the church cares more about what the world thinks rather than caring more about the mission of telling what God thinks to the world.

It's possible due to both Jesus' discussion with the extra-religious jews (issue of hypocracy), and the good apostle Paul's emphasis on 'how things look', both relative to saving the jews and cosmos respectively.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3235
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 3:05 PM

The book is junk- pure and simple- you can try to put lipstick on it- but the author is way off base- another hate whitey book from the Obama culture.

Posts 29391
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 3:26 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:
The book is junk- pure and simple- you can try to put lipstick on it- but the author is way off base- another hate whitey book from the Obama culture.

Cut the crap, Whyndell. This is not the place to inject political partisan comments. If the forums cease to be a refuge from partisan crap, I'm out of here.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3235
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 4:56 PM

Is for me- the loser book stinks- my opinion matters Satan has enough voices in this World.

Posts 4009
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 5:08 PM

I haven’t read the book but it got me curious enough to read the product description from the publisher revie website: 

Short. Timely. Poignant. Pointed. Burying White Privilege is all of these and more. This is the book that everybody who cares about contemporary American Christianity will want to read. 

Many people wonder how white Christians could not only support Donald Trump for president but also rush to defend an accused child molester running for the US Senate. In a 2017 essay that went viral, Miguel A. De La Torre boldly proclaimed the death of Christianity at the hands of white evangelical nationalists. He continues sounding the death knell in this book.

De La Torre argues that centuries of oppression and greed have effectively ruined evangelical Christianity in the United States. Believers and clerical leaders have killed it, choosing profits over prophets. The silence concerning—if not the doctrinal justification of—racism, classism, sexism, and homophobia has made white Christianity satanic. Prophetically calling Christian nationalists to repentance, De La Torre rescues the biblical Christ from the distorted Christ of white Christian imagination.

Posts 29391
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 5:08 PM

Whyndell, I agree that your informed opinion matters when presented in a truthful manner - verbal slurs of groups of people are lies helping the master of lies.

Mattillo, thanks for bringing some real information into the thread.

Posts 2460
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 5:12 PM

MJ. Smith:

This is not the place to inject political partisan comments. If the forums cease to be a refuge from partisan crap, I'm out of here.

If you look at the author of the book and everything he does and writes about, it is most certainly political and partisan. Whyndell is simply reacting to it. Even the book's description reeks of it. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2278
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 5:17 PM

The vulgar title is not bringing out the best in some people here.  Words matter.  

I appreciate the non-vulgar thoughts.

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 13 2019 5:39 PM

Thanks y'all. I wasn't going to buy this, but my curiosity was piqued.

I'm not bothered by the word bad***. It's a common slang word meaning "ultra cool" or "tough guy". It's been in use since the 1950s. It does not bring to mind the human backside at all to me, so I don't consider it a vulgar word. Whether the derivation originally came from the three-letter word meaning the human backside is beside the point (there's some doubt about that -- many source think it's more likely that it came from a stubborn donkey). It no longer has that connection.

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS