Home Page "Gone Walk-about' Again

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:17 PM | Locked

4.0d Beta 4

Last week after several days without the Home Page,  I tried Melissa's suggestion to hit "SHIFT-F5" but it did not appear to work.

I then re-booted (holding down the CTRL key) and that DID work.

Now , 2 days later ,Home page is again a continual "spinniong pizza."

As I don't look at it that often, I am not concerned, but if others had this issue, they might be?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 24698
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:35 PM | Locked

Would be good to have some logs, Steve.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 3:52 PM | Locked

0876.logos4setup_1.zip

Dave Hooton:

Sorry, David

4456.DigitalLibraryInstall.zip

7608.Logos4.zip

6237.Logos4Crash.zip

4087.logos4setup.zip

Also as I  mentioned in an ealier post, this {on new lapTop] install to Windows 7 (64 bit)  did not go as smoothly as other re-installs.

I received Error messages re 'wrong" date on files; some "user" files are missing (I have notes, favorites, My tags & Iibrary Rating"stars')

(Dave, which is the "Collections" file or DB? that might still need to be copied & re-installed? I can't figure out which one it is)

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 24698
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 4:53 PM | Locked

SteveF:

Dave Hooton:

Sorry, David

We need the latest logos4.log (one supplied is 19 June) relating to the "spinning pizza"

SteveF:

Also as I  mentioned in an ealier post, this {on new lapTop] install to Windows 7 (64 bit)  did not go as smoothly as other re-installs.

I received Error messages re 'wrong" date on files; some "user" files are missing (I have notes, favorites, My tags & Iibrary Rating"stars')

(Dave, which is the "Collections" file or DB? that might still need to be copied & re-installed? I can't figure out which one it is)

Just remind me of the thread and the issues  ie.  where did "wrong date" errors occur?

For Collections restart L4 a couple of times + Sync Now. It usually takes a few hours to happen but you can try to copy the "good" database from \Logos4\Documents\{random}\ResourceCollectionManager (rename the one in B4 just in case).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 6:38 PM | Locked

2728.Logos4.zip

I had to use the task manager to close the program.

I had it "pinned."

That is the second time that it has not closed down properly while pinned.

I'm not going to pin it to the task bar again.

2500.2nd Logos4.zip

I'm pretty sure that I waited 2-3 minutes for the Home Page to show.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:16 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
you can try to copy the "good" database from \Logos4\Documents\{random}\ResourceCollectionManager

Thanks David, it worked  immediately!

Dave Hooton:
where did "wrong date" errors occur

During re-install/install on new laptop using one of the WIKI methods.  it claimed that some files were "too old" or out of date? I'd never had a message like that before and didn't think to write it down.

I still have a spinning pizza wheel ie. no content on the Home Page but am VERY relieved to have all of my collections back. Thank-you!

also, as mentioned earlier, Logos 4  will not "shut down" by itself...I must use the Task Manager. Is this a new issue?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:33 PM | Locked

SteveF:

Logos 4  will not "shut down" by itself...I must use the Task Manager. Is this a new issue? 

That is not a new issue that all are experiencing. You're the first one I've heard that's having it. If you just start up Logos 4 and then try to close it right away (once it is completely loaded) do you get this problem? Do you have logging enabled? If not, please do so (http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging) and then try it again. See if it leaves you a log file that you can post here to help us diagnose the problem.

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 21 2010 7:37 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:
See if it leaves you a log file

It does not generate a "crash" log.

This one appears to be identical to the one posted earlier? 2781.Logos4.zip

Thanks

Rosie Perera:
If you just start up Logos 4 and then try to close it right away (once it is completely loaded) do you get this problem?

Yes.

Edit: These look like they never finished loading? But I checked one of them to see if I could find the newly restored collections.

Edit 2 - long after I used the Task Manager to force a shut down, Logos4.exe*32  still shows in Task Manager/Processes

And until I had manually "ended" its process, I could NOT restart it from a shortcut.

I had two Logos windows open. This time right clicking on Taskbar/clicking close all these windows etc = 1 window closed and "main" window frozen.

When I try to do the same for the remaining window, I get the Windows "warning bell".

Only right clicking on "end process" worked.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:58 AM | Locked

Steve ~  We'll review your logs, thank you.

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:10 PM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Thank you.

But I'm more concerned about the program "freezing up" every time I try to turn it off with the "red x."

The task manager must be used AND the program must also be deliberately "ended" under the Processes tab.

Otherwise, simply ending it under the Applications tab does take Logos 4 off of the computer screen, but the Logos4.exe *32 etc still resides under the Processes Tab

9and must ALSO be removed using a right click option).

EDIT - After "deselecting" everything, hitting both Shift F5and F5, selecting fewer choices (mostly "my" materials, not the Logos "advertising" or "internet" materials AND after turning off (as described above) the Home Page has finally come back. Something intermoittent going on?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 24698
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:20 PM | Locked

SteveF:
During re-install/install on new laptop using one of the WIKI methods.  it claimed that some files were "too old" or out of date? I'd never had a message like that before and didn't think to write it down.

You must ensure you do not copy files/folders to an older version of L4 ie. from 4.0d beta to 4.0c, or even from 4.0d Beta 4 to 4.0d Beta 1 because a new version of the database schema cannot be read by older software versions!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:29 PM | Locked

Dave Hooton:
You must ensure you do not copy files/folders to an older version of L4

That may have happened. I was unsure whether to put a Beta version on the new laptop--The "stable" version I loaded may have been older? I was only able to get past that by going ahead and installing the most up-to-date Beta.

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 24698
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:33 PM | Locked

SteveF:
That may have happened. I was unsure whether to put a Beta version on the new laptop--The "stable" version I loaded may have been older?

The "stable" 4.0c is indeed older than 4.0d beta!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 6:19 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:

Melissa could you check out these as well?

At some point  I had put the laptop to "hibernate-sleep" etc. When I "woke" it today, this was the error message: "Logos has stopped responding"

4278.Logos4.zip

2654.Logos4 (2).zip

There was NOT a new Crash log.

6874.Logos4Crash.zip

I do not know if this is part of the "It won't turn off" problem.

Some good news: When I re-loaded, the Home page appeared correctly.

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:33 AM | Locked

SteveF:

Melissa could you check out these as well?

At some point  I had put the laptop to "hibernate-sleep" etc. When I "woke" it today, this was the error message: "Logos has stopped responding"

We'll take a look at the new logs.

SteveF:

I do not know if this is part of the "It won't turn off" problem.

Some good news: When I re-loaded, the Home page appeared correctly.

Regarding your previous logs, it looks like it was trying to load a very large layout (perhaps the last layout is loading by default?), and it was taking some time to load (and perhaps the home page was being loaded in the meantime). The Cited By panel may have been part of that layout which designates the collections you have enabled, of which it sounds like you have a large number.

Posts 1638
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 8:19 AM | Locked

Melissa Snyder:
it was trying to load a very large layout (perhaps the last layout is loading by default?)

Yes.

Melissa Snyder:
The Cited By panel may have been part of that layout which designates the collections you have enabled, of which it sounds like you have a large number.

Yes

If it would help, I can both "save'" it Blank (ie empty of resources) and then "start up" as "blank" (then load a snapshot)

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS