Linking Tabs in Mobile 8 iOS.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 36
Christopher (Greenfield, WI) | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 8 2019 6:05 AM

I've linked 5 tabs together (1 book and 4 Bibles).

Pressing a Bible verse in the 1st tab opens up the verse in the dialog box.  Pressing "Jump to reference" opens up the 2nd tab of a Bible to the Bible verse.  However, when scrolling left to the other three Bibles, the verse does not appear (Bibles are not linked).

What am I doing wrong?

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 8 2019 7:37 AM

Christopher (Greenfield, WI):
What am I doing wrong?

Difficult to say - I've just checked it and it's working for me.

What happens if you just link two Bibles together - do they stay in sync?

Posts 28029
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 8 2019 7:56 AM

Can you show a screenshot of them linked?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 36

If I open a verse in one of the four Bibles, that verse is linked to the other 4 Bibles.

However, if I open a verse from the the book (Hearing God through the Year: A 365 Day Devotional), only the next adjacent Bible opens to that linked verse.  The 3 Bibles following that do not.

Posts 36

Hey JT,

After hitting the link button in the upper left corner, all the tabs (1 book; 4 Bibles) are linked.  I then "Deselect All" and then "Select All" to make sure all the blue link icons are "lit".  Then I click "Done".

The strange thing is after clicking "Done", all of the blue link icons become greyed out (I'm assuming they are all still linked).

So I click a Bible Reference in the book and the next adjacent Bible links properly.  The Bibles after that are not linked to the Bible verse.

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 8 2019 10:11 AM

If I open a verse in one of the four Bibles, that verse is linked to the other 4 Bibles.

However, if I open a verse from the the book (Hearing God through the Year: A 365 Day Devotional), only the next adjacent Bible opens to that linked verse.  The 3 Bibles following that do not.

Sorry - I understand the point you are makng now.

I can reproduce what you are describing and it sounds like a bug to me.

Posts 36
Thanks for checking Graham! Glad that I'm not losing my marbles (although a few do slip out-of-the-bag from time-to-time. :)
Posts 54
T-Bone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2019 12:59 AM

Graham Criddle:

Sorry - I understand the point you are makng now.

I can reproduce what you are describing and it sounds like a bug to me.

This is a known bug that occurs with the iOS apps. I wrote up a case for this a couple of years ago and there are several ways to make it happen (this is just one of them).

Currently, opening a Biblical reference as described above will not automatically sync that reference to all linked Bibles.

As a temporary workaround one can open the Bible (tab) that has linked properly and then use that Bible to navigate somewhere else then back to the original reference at hand (whether through a slight scroll operation, a page forward/back operation, etc.). This should correct the issue for the remaining linked Bibles.

Posts 36

Good to know! Smile

Posts 54
T-Bone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2019 5:00 AM

Good to know! Smile

Christopher,

It appears you are fairly new here and you've asked some great questions. If I may ask, what is your opinion of the quality of Faithlife's Mobile apps? Any details are appreciated.!

Posts 36

Hey T-Bone,

No pressure hey?!

I'm really not qualified yet to answer that as I'm very new to the mobile apps (tablet) scene.  I made the plunge into the tablet arena (iPad) less than a week ago.  So I'm still finding my way around Faithlife's mobile apps as well as other apps.  To paraphrase Yoda: the learning curve steep it is. Well sort of.  Some things are intuitive and some are not.  I guess everyone's brain is wired somewhat similarly as well as differently making the learning process unique for everyone.

As far as I can determine, the future is in the cloud.  The backend will house most of the information while the front end will assemble the information as you need it.  So the goal for mobile app designers is to provide a simple yet powerful, intuitive, fast interface along with multiple options to achieve a given objective (different strokes for different folks).   This also means that you can't include the kitchen sink into the mix -- developers have to be picky what to offer end users in the mobile app arena.

So far, I like the Faithlife mobile apps.  I think they are intuitive and designed well.

FWIW, I can say that I usually do not use Faithlife products on my iPhone 5s because my eyesight is not on par with Superman.  I fact I just checked and discovered that at some point, I deleted the Faithlife apps altogether from the phone.  Color me embarrassed.  If memory serves me correct (got a coin?), I deleted them in part because I wasn't using them and because I needed to make room for other apps.

Oh, on a slightly different tangent, I noticed that my available library is different depending on whether I'm in the Logos app or the Faithlife Ebooks app.  In other words, I have less library material available in the Faithlife Ebooks app.  I'm guessing some of the material in the Logos app isn't really suitable for the Faithlife Ebooks app.

Posts 28029
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2019 6:47 PM

I noticed that my available library is different depending on whether I'm in the Logos app or the Faithlife Ebooks app.  In other words, I have less library material available in the Faithlife Ebooks app.  I'm guessing some of the material in the Logos app isn't really suitable for the Faithlife Ebooks app.

Well, no. There is a switch you can flip to show/hide those resources. 

Posts 36

Switch hunting I will go.

Thanks JT!

Posts 28029
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 9 2019 9:30 PM

Apparently the newest release (out today) makes the default setting to show all books. I don't know if having a current install with the setting switched off will be overridden by the new version or not. 

I don't have the app installed to tell you more. Tongue Tied

Posts 36

Found the "switch."

On the Home page, type "rebuild index" in the "Enter passage or search" box at the top of the page and press "go".

Posts 28029
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2019 6:05 PM

Well, that isn't the switch, but it might have been necessary for you to do.

Posts 36

Shazam!  I bypassed the switch! Party!!!

What do I win?

Posts 28029
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2019 8:22 PM

What do I win?

A party hat, but apparently you already have one. Smile

I bypassed the switch!

In a previous post, I had mentioned that FL changed the behavior. It <used> to be that only "eBooks" showed up by default. They have since changed the behavior so that ALL resources show up by default, and you have to turn OFF other books to show only "eBooks." My guess is that the change in behavior only impacts new installations. That may have been why you needed to run the command. 

Posts 36

So I'm still looking for the switch.

Anyone want a used party hat?Big Smile

I'll have to remember that If I want only e-books to show up, I'll punt (until I find the switch).

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 11 2019 11:50 PM

The “switch” being referred to is in Settings:

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS