Curious why logos.com would have to send a request to facebook.com when I purchase something

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18900
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 12 2019 1:31 AM

I notice this in the lower left corner of the Order Summary page whenever I'm placing an order on Logos.com, along with the sequence of other websites Logos.com is contacting. The rest of them mostly make sense, but why Facebook?

And also at one point earlier in the process...

Here are the others that mostly make sense, for comparison:

(I had to look up what CrazyEgg does, but it makes sense for analytics)

(at first I thought this was a special Logos website for Canadian users Smile -- CDN is a common abbreviation for Canadian -- but then I learned it also means Content Delivery Network, and that's likely what it means here and elsewhere below)

But what business would Logos.com have sending data to Facebook? Or communicating with Facebook Connect? This is kind of suspicious to me. Logos doesn't allow you to log on via your Facebook account (and I wouldn't want it to!) and doesn't or shouldn't connect with our FB friends list. What other reason would they have to be doing this? Targeting ads to us on FB based on what we bought on their website? (I have yet to see a Logos ad on FB, so I kind of doubt that.)

Posts 227
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 5:20 AM

It is a tracking mechanism to trace what has happened when someone clicks on a Facebook ad.

Here's a link for more info : https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/implementation

Scripture set to music for worship and aid memorization. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DojPa0TlpCGhtUJq1e3Pw

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 5:39 AM

Every page on Logos.com loads https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js

Among other things, it will allow Logos to add demographics into their analytics: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/implementation/

If you don't like the tracking, block it with Privacy Badger.

Posts 11189
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 6:28 AM

Mark Barnes:

Yep. My browser routinely blocks FL's identity-stuff, especially FB and also FL's ad server. Of course, I refuse all FL emails, and accept all  A-Company, etc. I have no patience for FL's amateur marketing.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 11189

Mark Barnes:

Yep. My browser routinely blocks FL's identity-stuff, especially FB and also FL's ad server. Of course, I refuse all FL emails, and accept all  A-Company, etc. I have no patience for FL's amateur marketing.

Posts 11189

Mark Barnes:

Posts 11189
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2019 6:30 AM

Look at that! 3 duplicates. I was going to delete them, but just illustrates ... I thought they stopped duplicates.

Posts 18900
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 2:15 PM

Mark Barnes:

Thanks. Looks like it only works on Opera, Chrome, and Firefox for Android. I wonder why not Firefox for Windows, which is the browser I use most often.

Posts 1084
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 15 2019 3:59 PM

Firefox 71 has the option to block all third party tracking. I've used Adblock Plus, Ghostery and noScript with FF for years so it hasn't been much of a problem though.

Posts 10
PLBuff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 6:14 AM

I'm running Firefox for Windows (Win 10) and Privacy Badger works for me.  If you can't get it to work for some reason, I just discovered that Firefox has a "Firefox Container" to keep them at bay.

Posts 18900
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 6:49 PM

PLBuff:
I'm running Firefox for Windows (Win 10) and Privacy Badger works for me.

Ah cool. I was overlooking (or rather misreading) the big orange button that installs for all browsers except the one listed below it. I thought it was just the heading for a section of install links, and didn't see a specific link for Firefox Win so I thought there wasn't a Firefox Win version.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS