Page 1 of 5 (90 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 89 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 25 2009 6:51 PM

Do you like having a startup sound in Logos Bible Software? Is it enough that you can turn it off in preferences, or should we just get rid of it? Or do you like it?

In the next version, should we go to the trouble to create a new sound? Can a little audio logo, or bumper music, get you into the mood to start your study, or is it just a distraction?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Posts 322
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:03 PM

The sound doesn't do much for me, it just tells me that it's starting up the software ( and lets me know if I have the volume turned on too loud), although it has over the years had a definitive Logos catch to it. If it was me, I'd give the user the option to turn it off, no matter what other sounds you might give folks.

Blessings,

Ralph

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:08 PM

Give three or four choices and make it possible to use my own WAV or MP3 file.  Also, do not lose the ability to turn the sound completely off.

Thanks for asking.

Yours because His,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:33 PM

Kill it. It's one of the first things I turn off when I install Logos. Not as bad as the Windows Start Navigation sound, but one of those things that always makes me wonder, "Why do they keep that in there?"

Posts 644
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:35 PM

I'm in the have the ability to turn it off camp, especially if it would save start-up time. I personally wouldn't mind losing it to start-up quicker but if others wanted to hear it, a check box option would make both parties happy.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 7:36 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Give three or four choices and make it possible to use my own WAV or MP3 file.

Could you imagine the fun users would have sharing their most creative start-up sounds Definitely would increase the "coolness factor".

Paul

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 19
George Gunn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:05 PM

Turning it off is always one of the first things I do after a Libronix install. Inevitably, I end up working on my computer either late at night or early in the morning while everyone else in the house is asleep. The last thing I need is any kind of sound emanating from my computer! I use Libronix for Bible study, not for producing sounds. If I want to play music, I'll use an application that's designed for that purpose.

--

George Gunn

Shasta Bible College

www.shasta.edu

Posts 153
Rob Kuefner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:20 PM

Bob,

I like the new sound you have at the end of your videos... the blip, blip, blip as the letters of the word Logos are flipped... if that was available I'd use it as my startup sound. I used to use the startup sound, but after many years of use, I've since stopped doing so. I don't know why I like the little blip sound, I guess, short sweet and to the point, whenever I hear it I think of the Logos letters, and thus Logos! That's my two cents!

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:19 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Do you like having a startup sound in Logos Bible Software? Is it enough that you can turn it off in preferences, or should we just get rid of it? Or do you like it?

In the next version, should we go to the trouble to create a new sound? Can a little audio logo, or bumper music, get you into the mood to start your study, or is it just a distraction?

I always turn the sound off because it comes on much louder than any other sounds I may have been playing so that it almost makes me jump out of my chair.  I would favor being able to customize the sound and even turn it off entirely.  It should only affect the startup sound, however, and not any other sounds which might be generated from the program.  Customization by using one's own wav files or mp3s might be desirable for some.  It probably wouldn't do much for me since I prefer classical music to other types.  If it's going to interrupt my music, it had better be short.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:24 PM

Put me down for "don't care". I've had the sound turned off since I first installed the package.

It's not that I have anything against your greeting. I just don't like computer noise. I have all of my sounds turned off except my e-mail alert.

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 10:51 PM

Its annoying and one of the first things I turn off.  At the least make it default ot off and let  poeple turn it on.  If I forget to do this and am working in a quiet place the first time I load it, I get a lot of rude looks.  "Sorry, just studying my bible!"  Great witness.  I know, could go the other way.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 11:15 PM

Bob Pritchett:

I'm the odd one out. I think it's kind of cool and adds to the distinctiveness of Logos on your computer. Having the ability to switch it off is a bonus as well.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2009 11:31 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Bob Pritchett:

I'm the odd one out. I think it's kind of cool and adds to the distinctiveness of Logos on your computer. Having the ability to switch it off is a bonus as well.

Bob, Peace to you!        I reallly like it also...     Sets me in a good mood ...        Often prompts a big smile .....     Makes me "ready to get at it"!  Make it 'turn-offable' for others, if you will, but I have appreciated it for years ....    *smile*

...   Mel

Milford Charles Murray

Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 12:08 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Its annoying and one of the first things I turn off.  At the least make it default ot off and let  poeple turn it on.  If I forget to do this and am working in a quiet place the first time I load it, I get a lot of rude looks.  "Sorry, just studying my bible!"  Great witness.  I know, could go the other way.

I agree 100%. It is the first thing I look were to switch it off, not only in Logos but in any application. I use Logos all the time, early morning, late evening, at the devotion meeting with pastors, all kind of board meetings, and I need to be sure I can start my Logos without sounding the trumpet about it. If there are people who use it, keep it. If it would help to make Logos start faster, kill it. Just make sure there is an option in the new version to switch it off in case you keep it, without switching off all the other sounds of the program, like Greek pronunciation etc. (I think George mentioned it already).

Well, if you are working on the intro sounds already, it must mean version 4 is really close Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 1:11 AM

I don't mind the startup sound, though keeping the option to turn it off would be nice.  Other sounds could be nice as well.  I'm one of the Logos fanatics that downloaded the ringtone (it drives my wife crazy because she thinks my phone is ringing when Logos starts on the computer Wink). 

As to whether or not to keep it, I would say that it would be a noticeably missed part of the Logos system, even for those who turn it off when they install it (we are creatures of habit, and if we install it again and go to turn it off and it's not there, what would we do?)  Just my two cents.

Blessings!

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 10554
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 3:50 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Bob

I don't care what you do with the sound, as long as we retain the ability to turn it off! Like many others, that is the first thing I do after installation. I wold appreciate it if you would add this capability to the Mac version.

Jack

Posts 1635
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:30 AM

Same here, Bob. Whatever you do with sound, I'm going to turn it off. That's essential in an office environment.

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 4:42 AM

I will always turn it off, but I don't mind you keeping it for others as long as the option to shut it off is available.

John Fidel

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 6:47 AM

Startup sound is nice, but the one complaint I have about the current one is that it is too long!  Make it a bit shorter, keep the option to turn it off and include the option to add your own sound would be great.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 89
JF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 26 2009 7:06 AM

I have it as my ringtone on my phone.

Page 1 of 5 (90 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS