Collections Question

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 184
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 16 2019 2:03 PM

I have split my commentaries up a while ago into various types (comm_technical, comm_intermediate, sermons etc) and regularly use an adapted passage guide to search through my commentaries.  However, some new ones I forget to label and put in.  I currently have my commentary guides set up to explicitly include certain series or books.  Is it possible to create a collection that would look something like this:

New collection syntax type:commentary -comm_technical -comm_intermediate

The aim being it would pick up the stragglers that I've forgotten to code?  I did see Mark Barnes extensive coding on how he split commentaries but still think he was writing lots of code to pick up on multiple series rather than demonstrating a syntax like that above.

Any ideas on how to implement this would be great - or if you're pretty sure it's impossible that's helpful too!  Thank you! :)

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 3:57 PM

Paul, I think the easiest approach is to create another collection with start field: type:commentary, as you've suggested, but then add the collections you've made using the "Exclude from collection" option for each of the other collections you've created (or by dragging the collections to the "Minus these resources" panel) so all your other collected end up in the "Minus these resources" panel.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18386
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 16 2019 10:03 PM

Paul Chatfield:
The aim being it would pick up the stragglers that I've forgotten to code?

Library filter could find stragglers. My commentary tags begin with Commentary so can find untagged ones by filtering:

Type:"Bible Commentary" -MyTag:Commentary

Screen Shot shows my list of Commentary tags. Thankful for Collection rules for sorting commentaries (updated for Logos 8 Base Packages) by Mark Barnes (so use collection rules to filter my library so can tag commentaries, which is quicker for collection cache refresh, but needs manual tag updating after purchasing more commentaries).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 184
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 1:14 AM

Thank you these suggestions both of you.  I've spent 2-3 hours coding some collections and then setting my final as type:commentary -(various series I have) and seem to be picking up the few that I've as yet unassigned which is great.  Thank you both!

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 6:42 PM

Paul

You sound like you are on the right track!

I have spent a good few years with my commentaries, filtering out the best, renaming them (i.e Book / Author / Series), tagging them (i.e. critical, pastoral, application etc.) and then assigning them into collections.

I have then produced a guide with the best of my commentaries arranged in the various collections. It certainly takes a long time to really sort out your commentaries, but once done, it allows you to make best use of the resources in the most efficient way.

Hope that gives you some 'extra' ideas! :)

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 23,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 6:56 PM

Mark Rodgers:
I have spent a good few years with my commentaries, filtering out the best, renaming them (i.e Book / Author / Series), tagging them (i.e. critical, pastoral, application etc.) and then assigning them into collections.

What good work you've done.

I noticed you have a typo in your rename of Calvin's commentary: "Exodues to Deuteronomy" -- has an extraneous 'e' in there. It wouldn't show up in a search for type:commentary title:exodus.

Posts 84
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 19 2019 7:07 PM

Well spotted Rosie! Fixed :)

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 23,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS