Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 2 of 16 (320 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 319 Replies | 25 Followers

Posts 350
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:12 AM

1. Android Text to Speech (Mobile). Discussion | Voice

I find it very helpful to be able to listen to a book while visually reading it. It is crucial for accessibility. And from what I know of my generation, they love to listen to books.

2. Improve Notes Panel Search (Desktop)
       a. Search actual book highlight quotes

b. Search query can filter/suggestion/select Notebooks (that way you don't need the notebooks search)

3. Headings in Notes (Like in Sermon Docs)

4. More Notes Improvements

a. Easy Notebook Creation (Example)

b. Filter Notes By Labels

c. Right Click (Open New Tab, Open Expanded, Copy, Paste, Duplicate, Delete)

d. Check boxes in Notes (https://community.logos.com/forums/t/178862.aspx)

5. Reference Scanner Export (Discussion)

Posts 97
Thomas Pape | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:34 AM

Translation tool that I can read books in logos in other languages - and translate directly, similar to how some programs can do in the browser

Posts 9108
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:38 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What are the most important things we should solve for Logos 9?

1. Make it easier to do complex searching
  2. Make it faster
  3. Make it simpler

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What new books should we include?

Carta! Carta! Carta! Please make an effort to come to an agreement with Carta so that we can benefit from their amazing maps!

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
Make it faster for users with enormous libraries (20,000+ resources; I have 25,474 unhidden ones) and lots of collections (I have 221). Everywhere that being such a power library owner slows down the product needs to be sped up or I cannot use the product.

I second everything Rosie said.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I could say so much more but I'm trying to keep it simple just as I think Logos 9 should do.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1578
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:47 AM

Here's my top 3 for Logos 9 (Desktop): 

Speed Improvements - Logos needs to be much faster, especially on machines that are somewhat dated when it comes to specs. Other Bible Software companies have this figured out really well and it seems to work in their favor. At the end of the day, when it comes to L9, I would rather invest $3000 into my Logos library and not a new machine. If things stay as they are, then I'm likely going to need a new machine by the time L9 is scheduled to release. 

Better Original Language Tools - Logos has made huge strides forward and bridged the gap between itself and other Bible Software companies in the last two releases. But, I think there needs to be a more focused a effort on making Logos a scholarly tool, especially when it comes to working with the original languages. I would like to see more MSS image integration, tools for Textual Criticism (maybe a TC guide), etc. This goes for Greek, Hebrew/Aramaic, and other early translation languages. 

Easier Library Interaction/Discovery - With a Library of nearly 20,000 resources, it can get a bit overwhelming trying to find the right resource(s) for the job. I think L8 made massive leaps forward. But, I still struggle trying to sort through so many resources. Searching and using guides is helpful because I've tried to tag my resources as I've added them to my library. But, it's still a mess and I feel like I'm not getting the best use of my money most of the time.   

I'll admit here that #1 and #2 have caused me serious consideration to leave the Logos ecosystem and invest in another. I havent made that commitment yet. But, I'm not interested in having to buy a new computer every other Logos release to keep up with its hardware demands.

I'll add more to the thread as I think of them. 

-John 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 165
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 7:02 AM

My Suggestions - thanks for asking! (8 was a great improvement over 7 and I look forward to even greater improvements in 9).

Notes Tool UI improvement

• Better formatting options.
  • Simplify UI 
    • See MS OneNote below as an example.
    • Unite Sermon Tool, Canvas, Clipping Tool, Notes & Highlights into 1 interface.
    • Make Canvas easier to use and perhaps give it a live interface in Proclaim for teaching.
  • Clipping Tool should copy bibliographic information to Word and other text tools.

Speed - faster is always better

• Populating dropdown lists.
  • Faster startup times.

More robust keyboard shortcuts

• Everything that can be done with a mouse should have a shortcut key.
  • Library is a good example the cmd L (mac) or ctrl L opens window or another instance of library.
  • I would suggest the same for Default Bible, Notes tool and new note, Layouts, Factbook, Bible Word study, Copy current verse and/or current selection, etc.

Visual Filter

• For Bibles make the Visual Filter button have an on/off function like Multiple Resources and Interlinear buttons.

Posts 1918
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 7:29 AM

A couple of related things that immediately come to mind are:

1. Overhaul sentence diagramming
  2. BibleArc-like features for phrasing - it should be as easy and responsive as BibleArc is

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 10545
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 7:45 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

2. Make it faster
  3. Make it simpler

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Carta! Carta! Carta! Please make an effort to come to an agreement with Carta so that we can benefit from their amazing maps!

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
Make it faster for users with enormous libraries (20,000+ resources; I have 25,474 unhidden ones) and lots of collections (I have 221). Everywhere that being such a power library owner slows down the product needs to be sped up or I cannot use the product.

I second everything Rosie said.

Yes, yes, yes.

I could say so much more but I'm trying to keep it simple just as I think Logos 9 should do.

Three more yes's: yes, yes, yes.  

I'm still on El Seven. I really don't need more software 'stuff' (but don't begrudge those who do). But I doubt L9 will do anything with search, after a decade now. Or speed, other than minor this and that. Or simpler. You still can't recommend it for 'normal' Christians.

I know, Bruce .... I'm supposed to be hopeful! But 10 years?

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 6
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 8:09 AM

1.  Make it simpler.  One should not have to have a degree in computers or some type of certificate degree and attend or watch countless Morris or Mark videos or attend courses to operate the software of Logos 8 or 9.

2.  Make it faster.  I agree with previous statements that one should not have to spend thousands to buy the newest, fastest computer equipment to get decent operation of Logos every few years.  The program shouldn't take so long to do searches or bog down because of having several windows open.  The software simply needs to be redone to operate....

3.  Make it capable of being running totally in offline mode, without the need of being connected to the internet what so ever.  After all, when one buys a book and puts it in their library they own the book and have it at their disposal 100% of the time.  Logos has gotten away from that.  The only time I or anyone should have to connect to the internet is for program updates and purchase downloads.  Not everyone has internet 100% of the time.  Other software programs are not internet dependant and Logos (Faithlife) has forgotten that. 

4.  Make it cheaper,  not everyone is a millionaire.  Too often electronic books are cheaper elsewhere and in other programs.  Yes, I know about the linking bit etc.  But when I see the same books offered in other software programs for 1/3 or 1/2 the price of Logos ones or sometimes in Kindle for much cheaper it makes me wonder and ponder....   Why is it so expensive in Logos?  Simply put... MAKE IT CHEAPER!!

BlueBird

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 8:14 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Mark Barnes:
I appreciate that to sell upgrades to Logos 9 you need something new, but I don't think that's what Logos needs right now.

Agreed!

Thirded. The quality of original language data should be scrupulously error-free and easily searchable, the datasets and research rabbit trails that branch out from that should be rigorously documented. Over the years, this point has been made several times already.

Posts 319
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 8:19 AM

Better maps!!!! I have been asking for this for YEARS!

And also add Carta resources!

Posts 309
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 8:58 AM

Release an external software which will tag and add all of the necessary embedding into PBB. Even if it's imperfect, it's still reduces the huge amount of work necessary. Let us use PBB in mobile. What might make it irresistible is for smaller price for feature sets, or itemization of feature sets allowing us to buy something we need specifically. Emphasis on the latter, because I imagine feature development is not cheap. 

Posts 6738
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 9:05 AM

As Rosie and others mentioned: Speed for everything in the software and a way for indexing not to affect and slow down your whole computer! 

And for the sake of everyone: Bring all CARTA resources to Logos! Seriously, it’s been almost a full decade since this thread was started: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/25757.aspx pretty much begging to bring CARTA and people willing to PAY YOU!

BUT...BUT, if you’re not going to bother to make improvements in the graphics department, then don’t even bother bringing CARTA over to Logos.  Let the users wait another decade before desecrating CARTA’s graphics by lowering the quality of their images by putting them in the current platform! 

DAL

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 9:15 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

YES. I'd like to see a search wizard, where we can build searches based on all the available searching/data set options.

Bruce Dunning:

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

I really don't get why Carta isn't already in Logos. Adding this as new package for L9 would be a major milestone for Faithlife.

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 309
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 9:15 AM

Roger G Black:

4.  Make it cheaper,  not everyone is a millionaire.  Too often electronic books are cheaper elsewhere and in other programs.  Yes, I know about the linking bit etc.  But when I see the same books offered in other software programs for 1/3 or 1/2 the price of Logos ones or sometimes in Kindle for much cheaper it makes me wonder and ponder....   Why is it so expensive in Logos?  Simply put... MAKE IT CHEAPER!!

BlueBird

Emphasis on the expense. It's really a very, very hard to pass the barrier. It's extremely important despite the difficulty in doing so. Perhaps you could reward Publishers who are willing to play ball. If some publishers want to make sure others will not accept lower royalties, would you guys simply adopt a policy which says that you will not listen to attempts to limit Publisher competition? Also, what about customizable base packages?

Posts 53
Eduardo Fergusson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 9:37 AM

Please improve the Sermon Editor, make it easy to move a block of scripture text or a quote from a book, add the functionality to edit the sermon on the Mobile App, this is the tool that I used the most as a pastor, and it feels so incomplete... thank you! 

Posts 835
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 9:55 AM

Top priority: Fix missing caret when editing Notes on secondary monitor.

Finish adding the keyboard shortcuts for editing that were lost in L7 ==> L8:

• Ctrl+L     Align Left
  • Ctrl+E    Center
  • Ctrl+R    Align Right
  • Ctrl+J     Justified
Posts 3446
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 10:38 AM

DAL:
BUT...BUT, if you’re not going to bother to make improvements in the graphics department, then don’t even bother bringing CARTA over to Logos.  Let the users wait another decade before desecrating CARTA’s graphics by lowering the quality of their images by putting them in the current platform!

I think FL understands that the rest of us who haven’t been complaining about graphics quality want Carta in Logos sooner, rather than later.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 11:05 AM

I agree with what many others have said about improving features that already exist but have only been partially implemented or are in clear need of additional work. To add to the examples that have already been mentioned, there are still dictionaries and encyclopedias that have not been made compatible with Factbook.

Posts 1917
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 11:51 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

1. Touch/Pen interface - https://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-8/suggestions/619605-focus-on-tablet-and-touchscreen-features

2. Disappearing cursor on 2nd monitor - since this bug only appeared in the last update, I assume this will be fixed LONG BEFORE L9 comes out. - https://community.logos.com/forums/t/186319.aspx  

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3361
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 17 2019 11:54 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What general themes or areas should we focus on?

Polishing the features and functions available in Logos/Verbum 8.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What bugs should we fix?

To ballpark it, half of the milestone references/parallel resource stuff in the Early Church Fathers references don't work properly. The leading offer is the Schaff collection.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
What new data sets should we build?

Not quite data sets per se, but please build proper milestones/data types for the following:

1. Acta Apostolicae Sedis. See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/185328.aspx
  2. All of the official documents of the Catholic Church that you sell that currently lack them. Cf. https://community.logos.com/forums/t/186910.aspx
  3. Migne (PL & PG)

An in-house tool that allows for the easier creation and maintenance of data types would probably be a very good idea.

I'm also certain that some members of the Verbum-focused forum community (including me) would be happy to help with milestone tagging for documents of the Catholic Magisterium if that were to be helpful from FL's perspective in terms of getting that tagging done.

__

In general, I hope that Logos/Verbum 9 will be more polished in all respects than 8. I think that the best thing FL can do is to improve existing functionality, which means building out existing features, fixing bugs in existing features, fixing milestone issues in existing resources, and making the software faster in any and all possible aspects. I don't need my future Verbum 9 installation to be bigger... just better.

Page 2 of 16 (320 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS