Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 19 of 38 (745 items) ยซ First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last ยป
This post has 744 Replies | 42 Followers

Posts 184
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2020 3:55 AM

DAL:

Ted Weis:

I just want Logos to run smoother!

I've been working with it all day on an important project and have been thoroughly frustrated with its frequent long delays with simple tasks like underlining, spinning circles, not responding messages, and crashing.

Uggh!

Exactly! Amen! We need speed! When indexing everything else gets super slow in my laptop (e.g. google chrome, IE, Word, clicking a verse to open it, etc.).  Some have suggested spending $3,000 on a laptop, but a good program shouldn’t require us to spend that kind of money for it to run smoothly.  Logos is expensive as it is and it’s supposed to save us time not make things take longer.

They’ve known about this all along, but they still haven’t figured out what to do to fix the problem.  Maybe Logos is running out of ideas to sell their product — well, guess what, here’s a great idea ๐Ÿ’ก Improve the speed without having users spend $3 grand on a laptop.

Just a suggestion ๐Ÿ˜‰

DAL

I agree that this is a large program, I struggled with the movement for years. I had a MacBook Pro (2012) with 8gb of RAM and I saw the spinning wheel of death multiple times daily. Well, the 2012 finally gave up the ghost last week and I was forced to buy a new MacBook Pro, this one has a SSD hard drive & 8gb of RAM. The difference is amazing, I am sure the processor is playing a part of it too. I too was getting very frustrated with the program, but it seems it wasn't the software that was the problem, it was my hardware. It turns out that my frustration was misplaced, and I needed to update my laptop. FWIW, Faithlife has definitely been putting out a quality product according to current technology available. 

Posts 4108
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2020 6:54 AM

How about clean metadata?

I've recently been experimenting with Zotero. I have 20000 logos books, thousands of journal articles, thousands of print books, and kindly books. I want a list somewhere of all the books I've got. I was using calibre before, but Zotero seems better so far.

Any way in the process of bringing the data from Logos into Zotero, I've discovered a lack of normalization of meta data.

Some have: "Title: A Journey in Grace", and some have "Publication Title: A Journey in Grace"

The latter show up in zotero as blank titled entries. I have thousands of the second type.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 11218
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2020 7:45 AM

Martin Hall:
I too was getting very frustrated with the program, but it seems it wasn't the software that was the problem, it was my hardware. It turns out that my frustration was misplaced ...

Martin, you confirmed DAL's point. When the engine's terribly inefficient, get a bigger engine. Since Logos is all that's still running on our remaining PC, the answer was dump the Logos Caddie. There's better uses for the money.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 7541
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2020 4:53 PM

Denise:

Martin Hall:
I too was getting very frustrated with the program, but it seems it wasn't the software that was the problem, it was my hardware. It turns out that my frustration was misplaced ...

Martin, you confirmed DAL's point. When the engine's terribly inefficient, get a bigger engine. Since Logos is all that's still running on our remaining PC, the answer was dump the Logos Caddie. There's better uses for the money.

I just read his response and was going to reply: “That’s what I just said...” ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜œ But then read your response ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘Œ Good catch!

Posts 29737
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 11 2020 8:05 PM

Please spend some time on basic functions - like studying vocabulary and concepts off electronic cards - just basic functions as in the free software Anki.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 71
Greg Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2020 1:42 PM

I'd like to request a "Read Aloud" speed of 1.25. The current 4 speeds just aren't quite enough.

Posts 6
Phil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2020 8:13 AM

Greg Rose:

I'd like to request a "Read Aloud" speed of 1.25. The current 4 speeds just aren't quite enough.

Agreed... Currently, the reading is either obnoxiously-slow or impossibly-fast... I know quite a few blind guys who use screen-readers constantly, throughout their life, and they are already used to high-speed auditory input to the brain...but not every screen-reader user is going to be visually impaired. On the other side of the coin, the reading can be so slow that it causes the brain to impatiently wait for the next word, causing an ADHD trigger, which kicks concentration.

Posts 6
Phil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 14 2020 8:35 AM

Cloud-based indexing... would cut way down on resources, client-side, if it were possible for the desktop user to query the program's index online. I suppose that is where the web app development comes in handy though... moving all that resource use to the cloud.

Posts 8742
LogosEmployee

Phil:

Cloud-based indexing... would cut way down on resources, client-side, if it were possible for the desktop user to query the program's index online. I suppose that is where the web app development comes in handy though... moving all that resource use to the cloud.

This is already implemented in Logos 8. Resources that you haven't downloaded locally are searched in a separate "Library (Cloud)" section in Basic Search.

You can also use the app.logos.com Web App to search your library at any time. 

Posts 386
PJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 19 2020 7:53 AM

Some space saving changes would help...like making the sidebars collapsible. An option to hide the Windows Titlebar it's taking millimeters of valuable space.

If the shortcut bar could change for each layout it would help a lot. What about a 50-50 resizable bar? Half always accessible and other half accessible by layouts.

A Searchable Favorites?

Make the Workflow Headword available as a parameter? (and to be able to include it in a link so that custom searches will act on the Workflow)

Posts 107
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2020 3:47 PM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
Make it faster for users with enormous libraries (20,000+ resources; I have 25,474 unhidden ones) and lots of collections (I have 221). Everywhere that being such a power library owner slows down the product needs to be sped up or I cannot use the product.

I second everything Rosie said.

Is this something that could be helped by using the layouts feature to tap only specific resources at at time? I tried to set up and all-in-one layout, but it seems faster to have multiple, specialized desktops (e.g. different layouts for overview commentaries, midrange commentaries, and deep commentaries).

Posts 42
Tim Nargi | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2020 5:14 PM

Get it on the iPad. With its own OS and now a trackpad I could have my whole study tools in my bag. The web app doesnt have all the tools and the mobile App is too restrictive. 

But if you can’t do this, give us the ability to draw notes with the Apple Pencil on the mobile app. I would study a lot more with Logos if I could do this simple task. 

Posts 5
gregorywright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2020 5:32 PM

PLEASE add the capability to highlight footnotes. Thanks!

GW

Posts 107
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2020 6:42 PM

GaoLu:

1. Folders on the shortcuts bar.  Like Chrome.

2. Be able to open all contents of a folder in a new panel.

Yes. Layouts kind of does this, though. Stack the resources you want in a layout. Then select the layout.

Posts 161
James William Roberts, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 11:25 AM

I would like a more robust Notes or a writer of some kind within Logos with at least basic formatting tools.

I would like to be able to "delete" personal books no longer needed or wanted.

Some instructions on using the sentence diagramming tool.

More insight into your "tagging" methodology so we can make our personal books more useful within Logos.

That will be sufficient for now.

Than you for asking.

J. William Roberts Jr., D.Min.

https://sites.google.com/a/oldpaths.org.uk/oldpaths-the-sword-of-the-spiritthe-word-of-god--eph-617b/personal-books/jamesroberts-docx

Posts 1
Barry Sewell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 12:53 PM

I would like to be able to filter my books according to index.  To see what books are indexed by Bible and which are not would help in setting up my tags and collections.  Thanks

Posts 247
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 28 2020 1:58 PM

Barry Sewell:
I would like to be able to filter my books according to index.  To see what books are indexed by Bible and which are not would help in setting up my tags and collections.

I was just thinking that this week... Library filter by index would be helpful!

Posts 913
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2020 6:55 AM

I had to quit work three years ago because I got sick.  Still can't go back.  On a plus side, it's given me more time to do my real work: Bible study.

I find working with Logos often like working with a huge bag of water that you have to try to move around.  

I have a large library.  20,000 books.  So I had a hundred commentaries titled Gospel of John.  Not helpful.  I had to go through each one, list the series and the author.  For all 66 books of the Bible.  

Authors are often more important than titles.  I have thousands and thousands of monographs.  I put the author's name in front of most of the titles.

Now I'm working on my passage guide.  I might have 200 commentaries on a passage.  Some are useless, some are really good.  When you are trying to prioritize that many books, this current system is almost useless.  The only thing that matters is some books get prioritized and some don't.  You really need the ability to prioritize them from within he passage guide.  A second best approach would be to create folders in the prioritize function and prioritize within that, but that would take way too much time, unless you had the guide and function opened on two screens.  

Hundreds and hundreds of monographs are Bible book specific, like a study of the parables, or the Kingdom of God according to Jesus.  When I do a passage guide study, all these books should already be there in a separate category.  I should not have had to go through my entire library to find them, tag them,and now add that collection every time I do a passage guide.  e.g. add the collection Matthew when studying a passage in Matthew.

And I mentioned this before.  If I'm doing a study on a subject, passage, etc that takes more than one session, I will be opening and using resources that I won't remember from day to day that I already looked at them.  You need a mechanism within a guide, maybe a 5 star system, maybe not, where I can mark: read, good, not helpful, use, so I don't waste time going over the same resources again and again.

Thank you

Posts 107
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2020 8:33 AM

James William Roberts, Jr.:

I would like a more robust Notes or a writer of some kind within Logos with at least basic formatting tools.

I would like to be able to "delete" personal books no longer needed or wanted.

Some instructions on using the sentence diagramming tool.

More insight into your "tagging" methodology so we can make our personal books more useful within Logos.

That will be sufficient for now.

Than you for asking.

J. William Roberts Jr., D.Min.

I usually use notepad or Word to take notes, then copy and paste them into Logos notes after they're already formatted the way I want. It's hard to format them right in Logos notes.

On the Personal books, just open personal books, then right click, and it gives you the option to delete it.

Sentence diagramming instructions are here: https://www.logos.com/features/sentence-diagramming

Posts 913
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 1 2020 11:05 AM

I was prioritizing a resource.  It gave me several options: Prioritize this resource, or prioritize this series. 

There should also be an option: prioritize this author.

Page 19 of 38 (745 items) ยซ First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS