Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 29 of 33 (655 items) « First ... < Previous 27 28 29 30 31 Next > ... Last »
This post has 654 Replies | 38 Followers

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 8:43 AM

Everybody's posting asking for new things.  Automatic sermon writers.  Incorporating google into searches.

I'm finding little things that should have been corrected long ago.

This may sound petty to some of you.

When I read my English OT, I have the Hebrew and LXX on each side of it.  When I come to a key word, I may even know the basic definition of it, I click on the Hebrew and Greek lexicons to get a fuller picture, and I even copy the lexical entry and paste it to a note across all the Bible, so in the future when I read the text, I can just move the cursor over the note, and all the information is there.

Now the Hebrew word for often has a preposition and pronouns attached to the noun.  If I put the note on the English noun, it will put a note marker in the middle of the Hebrew word form.  If I put the note at the beginning of the Hebrew word form, I get two note markers on the English text for the same note. 

You could use an option in settings called Turn Off Smart Notes, where we can decide where and how many note markers appear.

Is this too trivial?  Maybe.  I find it annoying.  But thank  you anyway.  at least I said what I feel. 

Posts 99
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 8:55 AM

Thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/180011.aspx

See also:https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10100105549212099&set=gm.713647456062439

There should be an option for "Author" or "Writer" in Bible search parameters. We have {Speaker <Person Paul>}, but that only brings up places where he's quoted as saying something, not everything he wrote. I know the Bible browser has some options for this, but when you do something like make a verse list, then want to search it for places where Paul wrote about prayer, you can't use the Bible browser for that.

Posts 10963
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 8:59 AM

Larry Craig:
Everybody's posting asking for new things.  Automatic sermon writers

Just for the record, the automatic sermon writer is critically needed, to support the new automatic sermon giver feature in Proclaim (the automatic praying feature has been temporarily delayed due to COVID).

But more seriously, when you're trying to use Logos for Bible study, there's no such thing as petty or trivial.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 9:36 AM

thank you

i was thinking of the work involved in fixing something like this.  I'm not sure how many people do what I do.

Posts 1
LogosEmployee
Scott G | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 9:42 AM

I am always corrected when I say something is not possible with a search, but I think its currently not possible to search WITHIN X VERSES.  I wanted to find verses in Ezekiel where a verse with "the word of the LORD" immediately preceded a verse with "Son of Man". I believe WITHIN X WORDS only applies to a single verse, so that did not help. 

You are correct that WITHIN X VERSES is not available. However, if you use a Basic search (as opposed to a Bible search), the parameters are a bit different. Try "the word of the LORD" BEFORE "Son of Man." (https://ref.ly/logos4/Search?kind=BasicSearch&q=%22word+of+the+Lord%22+BEFORE+%22son+of+man%22&match=stem&in=raw%3aSingle%7cResourceId%3dLLS%3a1.0.710)

Posts 3898
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 12:29 PM

Get the Outline Bible by Willmington added in the outlines section of guides/workflows

Thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/191309.aspx 

Posts 3898
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 12:36 PM

Sean Boisen:

(for those not reading between the lines quite as carefully as David ...)
If you want a shortcut to change the scaling of Logos:

• type in the Command Bar "Set program scaling to 150%" (or whatever value you prefer)
  • Don't hit return: instead, click and drag the entry on the drop-down menu over to the shortcuts area
  • By default it will probably have a gear icon: right click on the icon in the shortcuts area to choose a different icon if you like, and add a label (mine are labeled as 100% and 150%)
  • I did this twice so i had one to increase it, and one to reset it 

See the red box below for the result. 

This is intriguing! I'll have to give this a shot.  Usually I just hit the command + to make things bigger on Mac.  The only issue I've had with scaling is sometimes the text boxes are off.  For example in the information panel of the library screen I have to click off the box a little to get the cursor in there for tagging.

Posts 220
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 10 2020 12:46 PM

Mattillo:
The only issue I've had with scaling is sometimes the text boxes are off.  For example in the information panel of the library screen I have to click off the box a little to get the cursor in there for tagging.

I have run into this issue also... mostly in the library screen but also some times in searches as well. It can be frustrating to play the guessing game of whether to click 2 items or 3 items above to select the actual item that I want.

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 12:13 PM

So many people are looking for new features.

I have suggested a number of old things that should have been corrected in the past.

There are a lot of Greek words that have two different lemmas found in lexicons.  An active form or a deponent form.  The problem is that Logos doesn't link the two.  If the form in the Greek Testament is deponent and the lexicon lists the lemma as active, that lexicon will not show up as a link.  So I have to open that lexicon and scroll to the word.  

This should be fixed.

Thank  you

Posts 2575
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 1:23 PM

What are the most important things we should solve for Logos 9?  What bugs should we fix?

How about all of them. 

And don't release Logos 9 until all issues noted by its beta testers are fixed and retested to prove that they are fixed and no new ones created.

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 5:50 PM

this may seem  petty to a lot of people.

So I'm looking for a particular work of Philo's.  I type in Philo in the library and click on author, and I get 866 results.  

I type author:philo, and I get, well, it says 10 results, but there are 23 lines of names, four of which begin with philo.  

Does anybody else see a problem here?  

One of the goals of Logos is to save it's users time.  Scrolling down 800 lines to find Philo or having to type in author: seems to me unnecessary and worthy of improvment.

You asked, I answered.

Posts 29122
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 6:57 PM

Larry Craig:
Does anybody else see a problem here?  

Either I am not following your actions correctly OR I do not see the problem

If I type in "author:Philo" in the top line, I get 20 results

If I type in "author:"Philo of Alexandria"" which is more precise, I get 7 results

===============

If I type "Philo" into the filter line and expand author I get:

• Philo of Alexandria 7
  • American Philosophical Society 2
  • Philo-Caledon 2
  • A.B., Philo-Mus 1
  • Philo-Balladus 1
  • Philodemius, Eleutherius 1
  • Philoleutheros Americanus 1
  • Philopatris 1
  • Philopolites 1
  • Philostratus 1
  • Philotheus Bryennios
  • R. Philopolymathes 1

These are the results I would expect ... so I am missing something that causes your results.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 7:05 PM

I don't see why when I type in one word, philo, click on author, I get over 800 results.  

Yes, I can type in author:philo. but that seems an unnecessary step.  

Posts 29122
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 7:25 PM

Are you typing Philo in the library selection line (top) or on the filter line? The sidebar selection author applies to the latter. When you type Philo in the library selection line (top) you will get everything that included the letters "philo" in author, title, subject ...etc. which is probably your 800. You could then select "author -->Philo of Alexandria" to get the list filtered by the author:Philo of Alexandria facet. But you would get there more easily by type Philo into the filter line then selecting author-->Philo of Alexandria.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 8:12 PM

I only see one place to type in the library.  the top

Posts 29122
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 8:24 PM

Now I understand your frustration - the line you are using is intended only for advanced searching. You've not been using the line intended for the faceted searching -- the intent of the revision to simplify. Fortunately, I understand because it took me an embarrassing period of time to work it out. If you click on the magnifying glass (1) it becomes more obvious that you are to enter the filter at (2). Try entering Philo in 2 and see if the library is much more useable.

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 8:29 PM

WOW!

I feel like a total beginner.  

Thank you very much!

Posts 876
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 14 2020 9:19 PM

MWW:

I have run into this issue also... mostly in the library screen but also some times in searches as well. It can be frustrating to play the guessing game of whether to click 2 items or 3 items above to select the actual item that I want.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this issue. I experience it also in the Passage Guide. 

Armin

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 10:11 AM

I mentioned earlier that many Greek words have two forms, an active and a deponent, and that lexicons vary on how they list them, so an active lemma will not link to all the lexicons, because that lexicon uses a different form.

I said that Logos needs to link them all together.

I am seeing this again in another form.

I don't know the fancy grammatical names, but many Greek words have prefixes, like sun. When it combines with the root word, it can assume all different forms, an n, and m, or the last letter can simply disappear.  So when a favorite lexicon doesn't show the word I'm looking for, I have to hunt it down through all the possible variants.

It would be really nice if Logos did that for us.

Posts 1981
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 5:30 PM

One additional suggestion: I've noticed performance in Logos has been a little laggy lately, even on my high-end iMac Pro. Another Logos user noticed it as well. I hope L9 also take a moment to really double down on performance tweaks again.

Nathan Parker

Page 29 of 33 (655 items) « First ... < Previous 27 28 29 30 31 Next > ... Last » | RSS