Logos 9 Wishlist

Page 30 of 33 (655 items) « First ... < Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next > ... Last »
This post has 654 Replies | 38 Followers

Posts 3898
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 5:33 PM

Nathan Parker:

One additional suggestion: I've noticed performance in Logos has been a little laggy lately, even on my high-end iMac Pro. Another Logos user noticed it as well. I hope L9 also take a moment to really double down on performance tweaks again.

Agreed. I also have a new Mac book pro and logos has been sluggish for me as well. I deleted some visual filters and collections and it didn’t help (I didn’t have many to begin with)

Posts 1981
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 5:36 PM

Mattillo:

Nathan Parker:

One additional suggestion: I've noticed performance in Logos has been a little laggy lately, even on my high-end iMac Pro. Another Logos user noticed it as well. I hope L9 also take a moment to really double down on performance tweaks again.

Agreed. I also have a new Mac book pro and logos has been sluggish for me as well. I deleted some visual filters and collections and it didn’t help (I didn’t have many to begin with)

Yeah the other Logos user was on a slower machine so his issues are worse (I have a fast enough machine to compensate in general), but I've noticed performance in Logos isn't as speedy as it should be. I'd be willing to have fewer features in L9 and have Logos double down on performance and give us a "Snow Leopard" type release that runs solid and speedy.

Nathan Parker

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2020 3:33 PM

This is something that should have been fixed in Logos 4.

I'm doing a long term research paper, using the passage guide every time.  I have hundreds of resources, commentaries, monographs.  I need some way to mark them, so I know which ones I've seen already.  I ideally it should have some way to grade them as well.  Something to go back to, something not to, but at least a check that I've been here already.

Please!

Posts 8610
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 3:59 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

What are the most important things we should solve for Logos 9?

• What improvements should we make to existing features?

Well.  Since you've asked.  I have two requests.  

1.  Mark Documents as complete to secure them against deletion.

Twice in the last few weeks due to my own fumble fingers I have accidentally deleted hours and hours worth of sermon work.  Can you create a way to mark a sermon or a note "complete" so that it simply won't erase without gymnastics?  This would, in my case apply to notes and sermon documents.

Second (tell you me you didn't know this was going to happen)... .

2. Reading Plans

TCBlack:

Books are what Logos Digital Library is about. But the current reading plan mechanisms are inadequate.  My digital library lacks is a powerful and flexible reading plan generation feature built for regular books. For a moment, a brief moment, I thought I had found a solution in the courses tool. But no, that curated effort is far away from what is needed to set up dynamic, read at your own pace, reading plans.

Let me isolate what I'm asking for:

Dynamic, read at your own pace, reading plans.

I believe the current reading plan tools were built for Bibles, and they are being forced to work with regular books.  It works well for Bibles, but my library has many many books that are not bibles, and the current iteration of reading plans can't do them justice.

1. They break on odd pages, or much worse: mid paragraph.
  2. They cannot find a chapter heading (really? Isn't that a milestone?)
  3. They cannot adjust on the fly (right click and choose, finish reading here for the day).

So here's what we need:

Default to chapter breaks: 

Reading plans for regular old fashioned books needs to default to breaking on chapter headings.

Secondary to subchapter headings

Even within chapters there are additional heading milestones, these most certainly ought to be considered breakpoints if, for example a reading plan for 24 sessions is requested for a 10 chapter book, first priority ought to be given to chapter headings, and then the lesser milestone headings.

Other Options

Keep the ability to switch to page counts... specific page counts (e.g. read 4 pages per session).

Go ahead and leave a choice for precisely equal reading lengths, which can keep on breaking mid paragraph like the current iteration does, for those that must have very specific reading loads.

Permit reading at my own pace

Bring the ability to select "Read at your own pace" rather than a date based model.

I hate feeling like I'm behind when I miss a day or twelve. I can just pick up a book from my shelf and keep going. Don't make me feel the stress of being behind and playing catch up. Thankfully I actually can use a catch up or adjust feature on the current iteration, but it is second only to "read at my own pace".

Automatic Generation

I know that reading plans can be painstakingly (very much so) built via the custom plan tool, but I shouldn't have to spend an hour building a reading plan for a book. That is an hour of reading I could have done. I cannot speak to the technical requirements of locating chapter and heading milestones, but I do fail to comprehend why Logos has not chosen to do so already.

Reading Report

While I'm making requests.... I would love to have a "Reading Report" that I can pop up each day that will, in the way the courses tool does, bring today's readings all together one after another.  Of course I am assuming that if I highlight something in this tool, the highlight will be in my book/resource.

Logos is a library.  Being a digital library, enabling and empowering me to read everything in a reasonably organized fashion just makes sense.

let me mark books that I'd like to read someday, today, never,etc.  Go ahead and when I buy a new book, give me a dialog asking if I want to add this to my currently reading stack.

Allow the creation of reading plans for series such as "Read the ante-nicene fathers in three years".

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2575
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 9:51 AM

Larry Craig:

I need some way to mark them, so I know which ones I've seen already.  

Maybe a temporary layout?  Do the search or whatever way you get a list to use to find information.  Save the search results to a temporary layout.

As you open each suggested resource update the layout.  When you are finished with the project consider deleting the layout. 

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 9:58 AM

huh?

I have maybe two hundred commentaries in some passage guides.  I'm going through them one by one.  Do I have to keep notes outside of Logos where I left off?  Which books I should consult again?  i have hundreds of monographs, that, of course, are sorted differently, depending on how I view them.  Should I have to keep a list outside of Logos to keep track of which ones I looked at and which ones to keep in mind?  

I can update the layout, but that only helps if I haven't finished using a resource when I quit.  It won't help me to keep track of which ones I already looked at.

But thank you for offering to help

Posts 99
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 11:31 AM

Larry Craig:

huh?

I have maybe two hundred commentaries in some passage guides.  I'm going through them one by one.  Do I have to keep notes outside of Logos where I left off?  Which books I should consult again?  i have hundreds of monographs, that, of course, are sorted differently, depending on how I view them.  Should I have to keep a list outside of Logos to keep track of which ones I looked at and which ones to keep in mind?  

I can update the layout, but that only helps if I haven't finished using a resource when I quit.  It won't help me to keep track of which ones I already looked at.

But thank you for offering to help

Don't Visual Bookmarks kind of help you keep track of if you read it or not? https://wiki.logos.com/Visual_Bookmarks

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 12:48 PM

I don't fully understand how to use them, but I would have to at least open the resource first right.  I couldn't just see the title in a passage guide and think, Oh, I already looked at that.  Or even better, I would like to be able to know immediately if that was a resource to go back to or forget about in my project.

Posts 1756
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 2:10 PM

Larry Craig:

I'm doing a long term research paper, using the passage guide every time.  I have hundreds of resources, commentaries, monographs.  I need some way to mark them, so I know which ones I've seen already.  I ideally it should have some way to grade them as well.  Something to go back to, something not to, but at least a check that I've been here already.

I think you have a good idea.

A workaround that you could try in the meantime is to rate the commentaries that you have read. When you hover over the title in the passage guide you can see the rating.

Here's how I would do it:

At the start of my project, I would go to the Library and select all my commentaries (use the filter to do this quickly). Then, in the information panel on the right, clear ratings.

Then, after I have used the commentary, I would open the resource panel for that commentary and rate it. Having a rating would show both that I had read it and what I thought of it.

Of course, this means that your ratings would be temporary--erased after each big project. But maybe you could use tags for a permament rating system.

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 2:25 PM

thank you very much.  This could work.  Usually I think if a resource gets a high score, it will keep it whatever I use it for, so I don't need to erase them.  I need to decide my system.  1 star is I looked at, 2 maybe not worthy, 5 go back to often.  Not sure if I need 3 and 4

Thanks again.  This is very helpful

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 3:03 PM

is there a way to clear all the ratings at once?

Posts 1756
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 3:18 PM

Use the Library window. Filter down to what you want to clear.

Select all (CMD-A or CTRL-A).

Then click "Clear Ratings" in the libray's information panel.

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 3:24 PM

I think I got it.  Thank you very much.  This is helpful.

Posts 10
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 20 2020 9:59 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

What are the most important things we should solve for Logos 9?

Notes - I would like to title my notes.  I would like to have multiple notes on various topics in a notebook.  I would for example have a notebook called NT Word Studies.  I could have hundreds of notes in there if I could title the note.  But since I cannot title it, I have a notebook for each word study.  It creates way too many notebooks.  At least the is the way my mind works.   

I was watching a camp logos video on notes and Morris Proctor described notes like evernote.  They are kind of like evernote - Just need a title line. 

Just to throw in my $.03 -  For all the criticism I read about notes - I really like them in general.  I have tied to move all the logos notes I took in evernote or onenote over the years before logos 8 to logos notes - nice to have them in one place and they just keep getting better. 

Posts 6
Jim Martone | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2020 7:41 PM

I'd like to tag my notes with GPS coordinates.  Where I am when I'm reading or studying can sometimes add context to how the Spirit moved my heart as I read.  Was I reading Psalms while walking in the woods?  Visiting a new church while hearing about the Sabbath?  Etc.

Posts 2264
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 25 2020 1:14 PM

A way to "pin" tabs like Google Chrome does. They would both be pinned to the far left and shortened as much as reasonable. This would save precious tab real estatewhen I have tabs I want handy but out of the way, such as Bible reading plans, Highlighters, Shortcuts, etc.

Posts 15
Marc Transparenti | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2020 6:26 AM

Integrate an "Undo" option into Notes:

My biggest complaint about Logos is under the note taking system there is not an "Undo" option when mistakes are made, or as I have dreadfully experienced on more than one occasion, a paragraph(s) or entire note is deleted. There is no recovery option. I just had this happen and someone sent me a solution to go to "Trashed Notes" and click the "Undelete" button, but it was not there either on my desktop or mobile application. I called Logos Customer service and they said that is not an option anymore. And, could not find my deleted note from yesterday. 

Remove Highlighting Should Not Delete Notes, but it does:

My note that was deleted yesterday was the result of me highlighting a highlight and selecting the "Remove Highlighting" button. Not only did this remove my highlighting, but it also deleted my note (and a lot of work/time invested in said note). 

Integration with Microsoft Word:

Since Notes does not have a good back up system, I often copy/paste my notes into Microsoft Word. However, the formatting does not sync...especially bullets. When I copy/paste into word, I have my notes, but the formatting looks terrible. 

Notes in general needs an overhaul. Major sore spot for me. 

Posts 1981
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2020 6:27 PM

With the WWDC 2020 announcements concerning Big Sur and Apple Silicon, I would hope that Logos 9 either supports both if the shipping edition of Big Sur is released around the L9 release date, or bare minimum the L9 license enable support for Big Sur and Apple Silicon, even if it takes 9.1, 9.2, etc, before official support arrives.

Nathan Parker

Posts 866
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 2 2020 8:03 PM

I've mentioned this somewhere already.  Not sure if in this thread.

Again, something that should have been fixed in Logos 3 or 4.

I have exegetical guide open.  I'm doing the word for word, and I am looking for a Greek lexicon for the patristic era.  I know I have at least one.  

I have 32 Greek resources listed here, all by initials.  When I hover over them, I still get the initials.

I think it would be a really great idea if a user could know what the books are without having to open each one to find out.  I know maybe ten of them, but not the one I'm looking for.

Thank  you

Posts 2575
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 3 2020 5:04 AM

Larry Craig:

I have 32 Greek resources listed here, all by initials.  When I hover over them, I still get the initials.

Question: Are what you see as initials the short names?  If so that what we want to see is both the short name and the full name. 

[[Just guessing]] 

Page 30 of 33 (655 items) « First ... < Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next > ... Last » | RSS