Biblia.com beta is live!

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1697
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:22 PM

"Biblia.com is your place for Bible study online. Part of a family of services from Logos Bible Software, it offers free access to a collection of Bibles and Bible reference works, with an easy user interface and powerful search engine."

The beta version is live now at http://www.biblia.com.

Biblia represents a change in direction from the "beta" version of http://library.logos.com?beta=true, with a design made for the web, not transplanted from desktop software. Eventually we see it as a replacement for http://bible.logos.com as well. (Both of these other sites will remain live for the indefinite future, though.)

If you sign in to Biblia.com with your Logos.com account you'll find much of your library already available. In coming weeks and months you'll find new features and unique content here as well.

Logos is preparing for a future of more social interaction around Bible study -- shared notes, reading the Bible in community, small group networks, etc. Our plan is that Biblia.com can be a portal to content (published and user-created) for users who don't yet use desktop Bible software, or who need web-based access to complement their primarily mobile (iPhone/iPad, etc.) use.

We'd love to hear your thoughts, as well as bug reports and feedback on various machines and browsers.

Thanks!

-- Bob

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:29 PM

Thanks Bob, but the link is broken.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:33 PM

Lynden Williams:
Thanks Bob, but the link is broken.

Type the address in instead of clicking on the link and it will come up for you.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:35 PM

Bob Pritchett:

If you sign in to Biblia.com with your Logos.com account you'll find much of your library already available. In coming weeks and months you'll find new features and unique content here as well.

So you're determined to go the cloud route ?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:36 PM

Bob Pritchett:

e'd love to hear your thoughts, as well as bug reports and feedback on various machines and browsers.

THe experience on my iPad was less than effective, running it on my MBP and Safari 5 it is nice and snappy.

Observation: 

The split view only seems to accept bibles on the left and commentaries on the right. I will more often have two bibles open, than a commentary and a bible.

The search feature is nice and quick, but there is no way that I can see to refine the search to a smaller subset of a bible (OT, NT, Gospels etc.)

Posts 28711
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:40 PM

George Somsel:
So you're determined to go the cloud route ?

I think this has been a given for a long time. This basic a design decision rarely changes this far into development; I would be very concerned if it did change. However, until we see user-developed materials on Biblia.com we don't know the shape of this portion of "cloud" computing. Don't read too much or too little into this announcement.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 5:45 PM

Bob Pritchett:
Our plan is that Biblia.com can be a portal to content (published and user-created) for users who don't yet use desktop Bible software, or who need web-based access to complement their primarily mobile (iPhone/iPad, etc.) use.

MJ. Smith:
However, until we see user-developed materials on Biblia.com we don't know the shape of this portion of "cloud" computing. Don't read too much or too little into this announcement

IMHO, Cloud computing as a complement to a desktop is the best of both worlds. 

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:01 PM

Tried to go from Genesis to James in the Bible, but it kept reverting to Genesis. Unable to scroll through available commentaries or the selected commentary. I'm using my iPad. Looks interesting.

Posts 408
LogosEmployee
Bryan Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:04 PM

Sorry guys, we don't have the site working correctly in mobile safari yet. Hopefully it's not too far off, but we have a lot to do at the moment :)

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:08 PM

Tried scrolling through a commentary (NIGTC Philippians) and sometimes the text wouldn't appear or only a line or two would.

Also, the right-hand side entry field didn't seem to work.  I tried a bible reference in a commentary and a topic in a dictionary and neither worked.

This was in Firefox 3.6

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 28711
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:21 PM

Terry Poperszky:

I agree.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:38 PM

MJ. Smith:

Terry Poperszky:

I agree.

So long as it remains a COMPLEMENT and not a substitute.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:50 PM

Todd Phillips:
Also, the right-hand side entry field didn't seem to work.  I tried a bible reference in a commentary and a topic in a dictionary and neither worked.

Am also in FF 3.6 and the same behavior. The navigation box doesn't work on the RHS. When scrolling it sometimes displays the reference and other times the page number. Better to stick with the reference style that was entered into the box.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:55 PM

The navigation box does not work correctly in the Cambridge Paragraph KJV. I can navigate within books of the Bible with it, but if I type in the reference for another book it won't go there. It stays where it is and changes back the reference in the reference box.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 28711
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 6:58 PM

George Somsel:

MJ. Smith:

Terry Poperszky:

I agree.

So long as it remains a COMPLEMENT and not a substitute.

For the foreseeable future it will - but that is computer technology "foreseeable"

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 7:37 PM

MJ. Smith:
George, you were off the forums (at least not visible) for a while. Let's not get into this again. Flogging a dead, rotten horse ... I think it's almost skeletal -- is getting redundant, repetative, duplicative

NO - the issue is NOT dead, its NOT finished, and its NOT over yet.

I'm now even MORE sure I don't want all my user-content in the cloud, readable from any web browser anywhere, without my knowledge and without any kind of log or access records kept (that I can see). Sure, they need my login account and password first, but I'd much rather my user-content stays local.

Please Bob, let me have control of which user-content files are loaded to the cloud!

Posts 28711
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 8:01 PM

JimT:
NO - the issue is NOT dead, its NOT finished, and its NOT over yet.

No, the issue is not dead; but I'm tired of seeing it popping up in so many threads. To me, it has ceased to be a persistent widow and become a boy calling "wolf". Note that both had valid points but different results.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 22 2010 8:10 PM

MJ. Smith:
... but it's been a good many posts since anyone brought any new argument points or facts to the issue

Well, Bob JUST DID!

He has lifted the "game" on Cloud Usage, but without offering any better answers to protecting user-content.

I love and welcome most of what the company is doing, and I look forward to whatever Biblia.com will bring, but I don't want all my user-content there!!!

(Actually, I'm happy to have much of it there, but as we can't pick which, I have no option but to have NONE. This aspect is a great concern to me, more as a matter of principle, than any current content I have in the Logos software. All the talk of making Notes better is pointless to me, until I can keep selected Notes local.)

Posts 343

Compared to the beta of Biblia.com, I like Library.Logos.com better.  Don't see the benefit of Biblia.com yet, though I'm sure that'll change as it evolves.

Jason Saling

Posts 2961
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 23 2010 3:32 PM

I like this, Bob. I'm glad that it'll be replacing bible.logos.com. 

Very streamlined look. 

Thanks for giving us yet another way to access our library. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS