Jewish Afterlife and Resurrection Beliefs - Prepub Shipping Soon

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 10636
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 28 2019 10:15 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/184502/afterlife-and-resurrection-beliefs-in-the-apocrypha-apocalyptic-literature-and-pseudepigrapha 

Again, I try to highlight reference type prepubs that you may find valuable, and a good savings.

This one seems both unusual (how organized), but quite practical. There's two volumes, and I may be wrong, but the first seems to deal with core apocryphal/pseudepigrapha writings, while the second, expansions, etc.  The titles suggest a stricter split.

What I liked (and needed) is the comparisons, especially in table form. Also, the side-by-side expansions, where you can easily see the inserts, relative to apocalyptic.

The Logos.com sample jpgs are pretty useless, so here's the Amazon look-inside ... it's not clear the same product. The Logos has 2 volumes and the pages match. And 1/6th the price.  Similar publishing date.

https://www.amazon.com/Afterlife-Resurrection-Apocrypha-Apocalyptic-Literature-ebook/dp/B07VWZMVYW 

https://www.amazon.com/Afterlife-Resurrection-Beliefs-Pseudepigrapha-Christian/dp/0567685543 

The Logos prepub price discount is pretty decent. But more importantly the Amazon price is horrendous (both product pages). Not sure why.

Anyway it's at the scholar level ... worth a look.

EDIT: In the 2 Amazon refs above, the first (#29) has the look-inside for the second (#30). And the 2nd doesn't have a look-inside (independent reseller). So, you have to kind of juggle the prepub jpgs for the first volume.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3482
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 11:10 AM

Thank you, Denise!

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 450
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 3:04 PM

Thanks Denise. This is certainly one that could be of great value for those looking into the background of perspectives of belief in the resurrection. I'm certainly looking forward to its release on 8 January 2020. Keep well  Paul 

Posts 467
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 10:22 PM

Thank you for your mention of this resource Denise!

OS X 10.14.6  |  Logos 8.10 

Posts 626
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 28 2019 10:53 PM

While I'm not necessarily interested in the sub-topic of afterlife and rez, I am interested in a general work on Apocrypha and Pseudopigrapha. Will these book aid such a study? Opinions anyone?

Posts 470
Robert Neely | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 6:31 AM

Ted Weis:

While I'm not necessarily interested in the sub-topic of afterlife and rez, I am interested in a general work on Apocrypha and Pseudopigrapha. Will these book aid such a study? Opinions anyone?

This link may give you a little more info on what is contained in these resources.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Afterlife_and_Resurrection_Beliefs_in_th/cy6nDwAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover 

Posts 10636
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 29 2019 6:37 AM

Ted Weis:

"A general work ...". If I understand right, no. First, it's pretty new, so not much info. But just looking at the samples, it seems to not assume the reader is a Ap/PG expert.  On the other hand, it moves to the subject pretty quickly. For example, Sibyline Oracles (sp?), you'd want to have a familiarity with their Christianization pattern.

Even though Charles is old, I still use it a lot, even with the Charlesworth volumes (and he's the editor of this 2nd volume), etc. Charles spent extra time mulling things over. For a big-picture view (with depth), Collins' Between Athens and Jerusalem is a favorite, organizing the subjects chronologically.

Milkman wanted a 2nd Temple historical theology, and I didn't-want to make him mad again, but the various works are loosely linked at best. Difficult to generalize.

Posts 10636
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 8:56 AM

Ok, it shipped, it's better than I thought, and it's more expensive now. Sigh.

But forget the title. Yes, the tables alone are worth the price (mapping out 'afterlife in the OT, PG, apocrypha, and NT. The whole sequence).

But the general discussion of apocrypha, and pseudepigrapha is worth the price, using afterlife as a tag. And head-spinning.

Consider Sirach. You'd say Sirach is 'jewish' (late-2nd-temple). Solidly anchors the Tenakh. Meet a jewish guy in Acho, and Sirach might match up  nicely. And Sirach is not remotely 'afterlife'.  You're dead. So, who was Jesus arguing with? Who were 'the jews'? And Paul?

Another: Sara J. Tanzer argues that while the works belonging to the Apocrypha are Jewish, these books were “never formed into one collection by Jews”; rather, they should be viewed as a Christian innovation since there is no evidence that they were ever a part of any Jewish translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek. Moreover, all “the codices which attest a collection of Apocrypha are late (fourth and fifth centuries C.E.) … do not include all the Apocrypha, and they are Christian.” This view is shared by Paul D. Wegner, who concludes, based on the following, that there was no Alexandrian canon represented by the expanded Septuagint canon ..."

Finally, separating out 'jewish' into 2 diaspora cultures, and the palestine:

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS