Reformed Logos Users Group on Facebook

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 46 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 325
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:23 AM

this thread is proving highly entertaining. 
Unrelated question: is reformed synonymous with Calvinist?

Posts 399
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:28 AM

NB.Mick:
I personally don't understand the membership restrictions for this purpose, though

There are a variety of reasons, all of which center around argumentation.  For a real life example which used to happen to me personally, if I go into the Logos Reformed group looking for a book recommendation and I mention a book or another reformed individual mentions a book there are nosy people from outside the Reformed part of our Faith that would get offended at the recommendation or even get angry when someone says, "But the book you suggested is by a Charismatic." it's just easier to say this is a reformed/calvinistic group and leave it at that.  I have had this scenario happen and it simply gets very tiring.  This is just book recommendations, but the issues of course open up into other areas.  

No offense is mean to anyone.  But with somethings, it is just easier to exclude people who don't see things the way you do.  

Wilson Hines

Posts 399
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:29 AM

Chrisser:

Unrelated question: is reformed synonymous with Calvinist?

Let's put it this way, you can be Calvinist and not be reformed, but you can't be reformed without being a Calvinist.  Makes sense?

Wilson Hines

Posts 325
Chrisser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:37 AM

Almost makes sense. I'm not sure what constitutes reformed. I do understand what Calvinism is.

Posts 399
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:44 AM

Chrisser:

Almost makes sense. I'm not sure what constitutes reformed. I do understand what Calvinism is.

The best definition of Reformed I've seen is "Calvinism with a Creed."  Without the Creed, it's just Calvinism.  Technically, I'm just Calvinist because the church I attend isn't Creedal, per se.  With that being said, it is very Calvinistic.  Others may disagree with this definition; Carl Truett says you can't be Reformed without being Presbyterian.  I find that nonsensical.  On the other end of the scale, there's an SBC Pastor, Matt Chandler, who says his congregation is Reformed Charismatic.  That's nonsensical, as well.  Reformed Theology and Charismatic Theology don't mix well, whatsoever.    

Wilson Hines

Posts 399
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:49 AM

Chrisser:

Also, in regards to Reformed and where I'm at personally, while my church doesn't subscribe to a creed, I do.  I subscribe to the 1689 2nd London Baptist Confession.  

Wilson Hines

Posts 397
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 30 2019 8:01 AM

Hey, everyone. I'm just dropping in after this thread was reported. 

I'll just say a couple things: 

First, I wouldn't consider the OP to be in violation of guideline 4d, "advertise yourself...". I suppose the rule could be interpreted that way in the strictest sense; but the guiding principle is "no self-promotion," and I don't think linking to an alternate Logos community site is a problem. If you used the FB group to advertise a product, or if the ask was "follow me on Twitter," that would be a different matter, since there's clearly a personal gain.

Second, I want to caution on the turn it's taking right now; it could easily turn into a theological debate, which we discourage here. Please keep the Logos forums dedicated to help with Logos. 

Finally, and maybe most importantly... I'm a bit disappointed by the general tone of this thread. Even though there was a caution early on about Christians "fighting like cats and dogs," the resulting discussion was less than charitable. 
I don't think Wilson was wrong for making the post. 
I don't think Alberto was wrong for attempting to maintain the guidelines in good faith.
really don't think the tit-for-tat exchange over whether anyone did anything wrong was helpful for anyone. 

IMO, the most important guideline, and the hardest to keep, is #3: 

Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.

Let's all do our best to assume the best of each other. 

Happy New Year.

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Page 3 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS