Wipf and Stock books at $4.99 each is back!

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 35 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 6:21 AM

DAL - Still liking the look of Cyril Barber books?

Anyone else spotted some gems they'd recommend?

Posts 6661
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 6:23 AM

Yes I am! I might consider getting all the volumes. I’ll have to do some OT to pay for them.  Great sale! 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 6:58 AM

Hope it becomes an annual event. Maybe if we ask again....

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 8:00 AM

DAL:

Yes I am! I might consider getting all the volumes. I’ll have to do some OT to pay for them.  Great sale! 👍😁👌

DAL

DAL

Any reason you chose those 5 books over the others? You obviously limited your spend given you were tempted by all 15 Cyril Barber books so I'm interested to know your thinking. The Amazon listings make it look like the Kings volumes are circa 800 pages each and the Samuel volumes around 400 pages each. Are the Kings volumes that much more detailed?

Posts 6661
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 8:49 AM

Paul Caneparo:

DAL:

DAL

DAL

Any reason you chose those 5 books over the others? You obviously limited your spend given you were tempted by all 15 Cyril Barber books so I'm interested to know your thinking. The Amazon listings make it look like the Kings volumes are circa 800 pages each and the Samuel volumes around 400 pages each. Are the Kings volumes that much more detailed?

I like the way the books are outlined.  They’re preachable outlines to me and the application is great.  Yes, very detailed commentary on both the Samuel and Kings volumes.  I’ve been wanting to preach expository through both kings and Samuel, and Cyril Barber does a great job.  His commentaries will supplement my Holman’s OT commentary set on those books.  Holman is very practical too, but not as detailed.

DAL

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 9:48 AM

Thanks DAL

I think I'll pick up those 4 volumes too.

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 6:47 AM

Does anyone know how John F Evans rates the Cyril Barber commentaries?

I'm thinking of the 9 on the Historical books - Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, Ezra/Esther, Nehemiah - and Jonah.

Posts 15
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 10:48 AM

Paul Caneparo:

I'm thinking of the 9 on the Historical books - Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, Ezra/Esther, Nehemiah - and Jonah.

Paul,

Evans uses the following symbols for evaluating different Bible Commentaries (see the screenshot). The only one of Barber Commentaries he mentions is the Judges Commentary by Barber, A Narrative of God's Power. It doesn't get any of the following symbols - it only gets mentioned:

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 10:58 AM

Hi

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Paul Caneparo:

Paul,

Evans uses the following symbols for evaluating different Bible Commentaries (see the screenshot). The only one of Barber Commentaries he mentions is the Judges Commentary by Barber, A Narrative of God's Power. It doesn't get any of the following symbols - it only gets mentioned:

Thanks Olli. Does he by way of comparison rate Voice commentaries or does overlook that style of "commentary"?

Posts 15
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 11:01 AM

"Does he by way of comparison rate Voice commentaries or does overlook that style of "commentary"?"

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Can you be more specific?

Posts 6661
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 11:21 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

"Does he by way of comparison rate Voice commentaries or does overlook that style of "commentary"?"

I think he meant Boice’s commentary 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 15
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 11:38 AM

Ah, make’s sense…Idea

Sure, Boice gets a lot of mentions - e.g. Genesis, Joshua, Nehemiah, Psalms, Daniel, the Twelve, Gospel of Matthew, Sermon on the Mount, Gospel of John, Acts, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians. All of these Evans mentions.

Most of Boice’s commentaries get a white star from Evans (meaning a Worthwhile Purchase, but not a first priority).

Posts 6661
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 12:09 PM

FWIW, I found Mark Barnes’s brief comments from 2 years ago when this sale first came out.  In response yo Matillo’s question he said:

Mark Barnes:

Mattillo:

Anyone have any experience w/ Cyril Barber?  I grabbed the the Samuel and Kings volumes because I love history!

I've just bought all the Cyril Barber commentaries on offer in the sale that I didn't already own. I like them because they're simple and practical, but don't overdo the application in the way that many expository commentaries do.

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 12:22 PM

Ft

DAL:

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

I think he meant Boice’s commentary 👍😁👌

DAL

Thanks DAL. The danger of auto-correct and typing on a small screen smart phone!

Posts 1025
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 12:25 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Ah, make’s sense…Idea

Sure, Boice gets a lot of mentions - e.g. Genesis, Joshua, Nehemiah, Psalms, Daniel, the Twelve, Gospel of Matthew, Sermon on the Mount, Gospel of John, Acts, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians. All of these Evans mentions.

Most of Boice’s commentaries get a white star from Evans (meaning a Worthwhile Purchase, but not a first priority).

Thanks Olli. I tend to find the Boice commentaries amoung those I value the most. (And spell check wanted to change Boice again!)

Posts 6661
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 12:36 PM

I just got the rest of the set.  The price is too great of a bargain to pass up.  Even Christian Book dot com shows most of them at over $20 bucks per volume! So yeah, a little over time won’t kill me 👍😁👌

DAL

Page 2 of 2 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS