On the fence...

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Joe Colby | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 5 2020 8:24 AM

I am considering buying Logos 8 Gold or Silver (not sure yet).  But I don't know if I should wait for LOGOS 9?  I would hate to buy 8 and then have to pay extra for better features.  Anyone have comments who maybe bought into LOGOS a while ago...have the upgrades been a frustration/cost point?  Maybe I'm making too much of an issue of this.  I just don't want to outlay a lot of money to have to pay more a short time later for better features.  Any thoughts?

Posts 1033
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 8:34 AM

Maybe a subscription would suit you? I've found each new version very useful and good value for money. Depending on what you do and what you will read choose the package carefully for the books it contains.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 10547
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 9:17 AM

Joe Colby:
I am considering buying Logos 8 Gold or Silver (not sure yet).  But I don't know if I should wait for LOGOS 9?  (...)I just don't want to outlay a lot of money to have to pay more a short time later for better features.  Any thoughts?

"a short time" would probably be around ten months, if past release dates are an indication.

Just to make sure you understand the concept: the software itself is free (and most probably will be for Logos 9, too). You pay for books and for features. A base package like "Gold" usually bundles those two, but it's two things, a Gold library and the Full Feature Set - the Silver bundles come only with a limited level of Features, if I recall correct. 

If you buy Logos Gold now, you get the list of books currently in Gold and the features currently in Gold. If those suit you fine, you don't need to pay anything when Logos 9 comes out, just wait for the free core engine or Basic package (another say three months) and you get Logos 9 with some new features and maybe even some books. This will not be largely different to Logos 8 Gold, but it will be Logos 9 and will have what you right now determine is worth having plus something. Whatever happens with Logos 9: The books and features you buy with Logos 8 are yours to keep "forever" and you will only pay for additional stuff.

You may find out that Logos 9 base packages are a different list of books than Logos 8 base packages - so maybe an expensive work you are glad to pick up at an overall rebate of 90% in Logos 8 Gold is no longer part of any Logos 9 base package, or has moved to Platinum level... this may happen. When Logos 9 comes out you may find you're only interested in a small set of features, or the most interesting stuff is in a denominational package - thus you will be able to decide then what is on offer, knowing you keep what you already paid for, and just pay an upgrade for additional books and/or features (or you take the features via a subscription and only buy books now and potentially then some additional ones if you like them) 

If you wait for Logos 9 then there will be most likely a different combination of books in the base package, plus the same features as in Logos 8 plus some new ones that are not known yet. You would buy full price then for that combination (which surely will be worth it, no doubt about that). 

I hope this was clear.

My personal experience over the years has been that the feature upgrades have been worth paying for, and the library updates as well. But I'm not the person to wait patiently for so long for something where I don't know how it will look like - so I'd buy now and see what Logos 9 brings when it's around the corner. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10762
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 10:31 AM

But I don't know if I should wait for LOGOS 9? Only a question of the package discount. Now vs the L9 discount.

I would hate to buy 8 and then have to pay extra for better features?  You keep what you buy. As NB notes, maybe later you want added features, maybe not. You still only pay once.  But if you delay, the price (combined L8 + L9) can be hefty. I always have upgraded the features L5 > L6 > L7 so they're more affordable. I skipped L8; hoping L9 features are more useful.

Anyone have comments who maybe bought into LOGOS a while ago...have the upgrades been a frustration/cost point? Only, if you buy all at once, playing catchup (as above). One at a time is more workable (features).

Maybe I'm making too much of an issue of this.  I just don't want to outlay a lot of money to have to pay more a short time later for better features.  Any thoughts?  Like NB says, if you need L8 features, get them. If not, wait.

Alternative if can't decide?  They usually announce L9 a bit ahead of time. Buy L8 then, and compare to L9 (talking about which books are in the packages). Then if L9 package is better, refund the L8! Or keep, and upgrade. Or just keep. Like NB notes.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 818
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 3:41 PM

You get a 30 day test drive. If you don't like it after 29 days, call FL and have them issue you a full refund. Also, you just missed a sale. You might want to wait until the next sale. If you don't have the free Logos 8 now, get it.

Posts 5
Joe Colby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 5 2020 4:54 PM

Thanks, Great Points

Posts 819
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 7:49 AM

I'd get it now. When they do they upgrades, the always rearrange the books that are in each package. So, if you get gold today, then upgrade to gold in Logos 9 you will not only get whatever new features, but also get a bunch of new books.

That said, Logos is so robust now, there is hardly anything they can do to improve it, so you might now want to upgrade (except for the new books.) It is a little like the state of Word Processors. It is my experience that Word Processors became able to do everything I want to do quite a while back. Upgrades are generally just a prettier interface. The last upgrade of Logos did increase the speed, which was nice. What will really increase the speed is running Logos on an SSD. 

Posts 2389
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 8:25 AM

If the package now has the books you want then I wouldn't wait.  You never know what books will be removed when upgrades occur.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 9:55 AM

Josh Hunt:
That said, Logos is so robust now, there is hardly anything they can do to improve it

Are you serious Josh ? 

• Have you tried using the Notes tool extensively and that's not even considering how poorly it works with the mobile platform?
  • The redesigned home page is a waste of space, literally.  It needs to a revamp again and this time FL need to have it ready before launch Logos 9 instead of launching it broken and sprouting what a wonderful job they did. This is definitely not a prettier interface.
  • Reading plans are poor and need a whole lot more work before they are truly useful
  •  They continue to ignore user requests to for better organisation of documents. For instance users want to be able to organise documents by project and no tagging them is not up to scratch to make this work efficiently 
  • The Atlas tool is a joke and I don't bother with it. I have not idea what they thought they were doing with the came up with what's been changed multiple times now, I don't think they have ever truly delivered on what they have said will be available and its just not worth the effort trying to find a useful map, you are better opening up a study bible to find a map that suits your purpose.

That's just a few I personally raise to start with, there a lots of other issues other people raise on these forums if you read through them.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 10:02 AM

Joe Colby:

I am considering buying Logos 8 Gold or Silver (not sure yet).  But I don't know if I should wait for LOGOS 9?  I would hate to buy 8 and then have to pay extra for better features.  Anyone have comments who maybe bought into LOGOS a while ago...have the upgrades been a frustration/cost point?  Maybe I'm making too much of an issue of this.  I just don't want to outlay a lot of money to have to pay more a short time later for better features.  Any thoughts?

The software is dynamically priced, whatever you pay for now, you won't have to pay for again in Logos 9 so if you buy Logos 8 now, when Logos 9 comes out you''ll only be paying for those extra 'better' features. Don't hold back on account of some fear that Logos 9 is going offer something amazingly better than Logos 8, if you do wait you'll have to pay for those features in Logos 8 you are now missing out on along with the newer things Logos 9 offers.

The only reasons to hold back are lack of funds right now, there is nothing of great interests in the new books you'd pick up now, or you want to roll the dice on getting a better discount when Logos 9 is released and the end of the 2020 (if FL keeps their word for 2 year release cycles). As others have pointed out the configuration of books will change for Logos 9, that's a given, they need people to buy more books, but what you buy now in Logos 8 you will not loose if its not included in a Logos 9 package, the license is yours for life.

But I do get the concern it can be a big investment. 

Posts 10762
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 11:44 AM

DIsciple II:
Are you serious Josh ? 

I don't disagree, Disciple II, Logos rolls out features before the ready-signal. But look at your list ... FL is often on the 3rd and 4th try. Some customers gave up earlier (me).

Personally, I liked L5 best. Yes, it happily crashed quite a bit. But it was fast compared to Molassas4, and DrippyFaucet6 and 7.  And in the updates since M4, I think multiview is all I use (the rest intro'd in M4). Plus the Text Comparison in L5 worked.

See, I didn't even mention Libby. Shhh.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 2400
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2020 8:58 AM

As long as your hardware is sufficient, there's no downside to getting Logos 8. I don't imagine any giant strides in Logos 9 performance, but jumping in and building your library is job one and you can't start any sooner than now. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS