Logos on SSD

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 817
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 6 2020 7:44 AM

I have had a computer with an SSD for about a month now I have to say it is just amazing. Fully lives up to the hype. Logos in particular runs like I always thought it ought to run. Indexing when I buy a new book--something I do pretty regularly--used to slow Logos to a crawl. Not, it is virtually unnoticeable. It makes the experience of buying and indexing books so much better I have thought that Faithlife might do well to give SSDs away so as to encourage people to buy new books!

It is like the difference between dial up (remember the day) and FAST broadband. If you are not running Logos on an SSD, you might consider doing so soon. 

Posts 1505
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 8:00 AM

I have over 6000 resources and my laptop has 256 GB size and 100 GB free.

I guess 128 GB would not enough for most users.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 52
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 9:12 PM

Can anyone explain to me why SSDs are superior? How are they made differently so as to perform superiorly?

Maybe this is the wrong place to inquire, but I'll try and see.

Posts 18106
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 6 2020 9:58 PM

Scott:
Can anyone explain to me why SSDs are superior? How are they made differently so as to perform superiorly?

Spinning Hard Disk is similar to driving on a one lane road (physically can read/write to one place on disk at a time).

Solid State Disk (SSD) is similar to driving on a multi-lane highway without a traffic jam (simultaneous reads & writes at the same time plus transfer speed can be significantly faster than hard disk).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25370
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2020 4:23 PM

A conventional hard drive (HDD) with moving mechanical parts for locating data on a rotating disk makes it significantly slower than an electronic device with no moving parts (an SSD). Throw in the one lane HDD vs. multi-lane SSD analogy, and an SSD has an even greater advantage. And this applies to an SSD on the same highway (with speed limits) as a HDD!

Put an SSD on a faster highway (the same as computer Memory) and it will be much faster again.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 52
Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 7 2020 8:46 PM

Hmm. I guess that's in layman's terms!

I use a SSD. It's phenomenal!

Posts 817
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 6:13 AM

Most changes are incremental--this year's computer is 10% faster than last year's. SSD is close to 10 times faster. And, with Logos--particularly with indexing, the bottleneck is the HD--not memory or the processor. Speed up the HD and you speed up the whole machine. 

This is especially true when buying books and indexing. (or when Logos releases an update--something that happens pretty regularly). Before, it would slow to make the computer almost unusable. Now, I don't even notice it is indexing. 

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 1:03 PM

To be fair, to prevent hard disk paralysis Logos could have thrown indexing into a low-priority loop and introduced choke measures to use, say, 50% of CPU. Of course, that would introduce its own complications. With SSDs being cheaper and more reliable these days, I'd say go for it.

Posts 586
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 2:02 PM

How can one migrate Logos from an internal HD to an external SSD?

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 627
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 8 2020 2:17 PM

Randall Cue:

How can one migrate Logos from an internal HD to an external SSD?

Hi, Randall!

I would simply remove the current installation and follow (carefully) Method 2 for Quick Installation onto multiple computers. I would be interested to know what performance is like after you make the move to an external SSD.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 3678
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 11:21 AM

I'm running a 1Tb SSD (ssd nvme m.2) hooked to an i7-8750h (6-core) processor; re-indexing all 7,600 books takes 15-20 minutes (never bother to time it any more), & according to the msi monitor, the cpu never breaks a sweat. I can do anything I want to while it's indexing. 

IMO, tne nvme m.2 spec made the investment in this laptop worth it, because the SSD is attached to the main bus on the motherboard & acts just like memory.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 890
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 7:05 AM

Everyone has covered the basics of why a SSD is superior to a HDD, but here's a little more information to help folks make a data based decision. 

The SSD's connection type matters (A LOT) when it comes to speed.  A SSD that plugs into a SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Advancement) port will be dramatically slower than a SSD designed to attach to the PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect express) bus using NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory express).  PCIe NVMe will, without exception, be muuuuuuch faster. 

You'll need to check your laptop manufacturer's motherboard specification to ensure that (1) it has either an M.2 slot or an easily replaceable (or an empty bay for a) 2.5" drive; and (2) that the BIOS supports the NVMe protocol.  If both of those are true, a PCIe NVMe SSD will give you exceptional performance with Logos and anything else you do on your computer.  Perhaps the biggest caveat is that while NVMe is faster, SATA is cheaper.  Also, the SSD manufacturer and model matter when it comes to speed (and reliability!), so the golden rule of good stewardship applies here too: cheaper is rarely better.  For instance, when I bought a new laptop this year, I replaced a brand new IBM brand PCIe NVMe SSD with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD specifically because of speed and reliability.

Here's a good video to explain all the terms more fully, however it's about 4 years old and dated with regard to what's "new".

"I read dead people..."

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS