What's the deal with the FamilyLife Edition?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 27962
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 10:32 AM

Chrisser:

Does temporary = permanent access but not ownership? Honestly that works for me.

Temporary really means “don’t own.” Resources you acquire access to from a Faithlife Connect subscription such as The monthly previews are “temporary“ and you lose access at the end of the month. There are a bundle of resources you gain access to through FL connect which  are “temporary” and you lose access when you stop subscribing. These are “temporary” as well. You do not own them. You will not get any “Dynamic Pricing” for having access if you purchase a bundle with them included. However, FL does not have plans to remove them from your account. I would doubt any would be removed which are in public domain or which are owned by FL itself. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 26
Christopher Bucklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 5:15 PM

Mathew Haferkamp:

Hey Christopher did they say that your information was not sent to familylife?

I have talked to them today seeking the same and I am now waiting on a supervisor to call.  (because according to him "everyone" is at a meeting).

I guess buying at logos is buyer beware from now on!!!

She said she wasn't sure. She said she'd but a "block" on it, whatever that means. I'm kinda just hoping for the best at this point.

Posts 10456
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 5:59 PM

Mathew Haferkamp:

When they were giving you credit in exchange for your personal information, there might of been a clue there.

But keep in mind, we're talking name and email address. Like at Home Depot, for your receipt. Not terribly private.

Posts 363
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 6:03 PM

Denise:

Mathew Haferkamp:

When they were giving you credit in exchange for your personal information, there might of been a clue there.

But keep in mind, we're talking name and email address. Like at Home Depot, for your receipt. Not terribly private.

i think it’s more a concern of what they plan to do with the data. I followed the links on the EULA, and it does seem like you could potentially be deluged with all sorts of spam, where opting out is per their agreement.

of course, when something is free, you pay for it with personal data. That’s why I haven’t gone ahead with it.

Retina MacBook Pro, 2013, iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. || Gold: Eastern Rite, Orthodox. || Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. || Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 537
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 9 2020 11:56 PM

David Wanat:

of course, when something is free, you pay for it with personal data.

I think I know what you mean but this sentence is actually a non sequitur and, indeed, is contradictory. Something you must pay to receive, whether you are giving money or personal information or whatever, isn't free. A transaction is involved. Your personal information has value. When something is free, you don't pay for it.

Logos doesn't usually slip up and mislead customers this way. Logos' "Free Book of the Month" is free, as are the other FaithLife family FBOTMs. The reason I got the FamilyLife edition without reading the small print is because I trusted that Logos knows the meaning of words and I therefore assumed - rightly - that Logos agrees that free means what it means. The error here is the juxtaposition of two contradictory ideas (free/not free) and that's why people feel confused and/or misled.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I'll give you this if you give me that." But we can't then say that what you're getting is "free."

Logos rocks. They've simply chosen the wrong word to describe this offer.

Posts 6661
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 2:17 AM

Question: I already have Faithlife Connect no library and it comes with FL TV.  Will this add an extra charge after a while? It seems like everyone is confused about this freebie.

DAL

Posts 3386
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 5:47 AM

DAL:

Question: I already have Faithlife Connect no library and it comes with FL TV.  Will this add an extra charge after a while? It seems like everyone is confused about this freebie.

DAL

I'm in the same boat as you.  After grabbing the FamilyLife edition, I didn't notice any additional subscriptions in my library for FLTV.  

Posts 363
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 6:58 AM

Gordon Jones:

David Wanat:

I think I know what you mean but this sentence is actually a non sequitur and, indeed, is contradictory. Something you must pay to receive, whether you are giving money or personal information or whatever, isn't free. A transaction is involved. Your personal information has value. When something is free, you don't pay for it.

Logos doesn't usually slip up and mislead customers this way. Logos' "Free Book of the Month" is free, as are the other FaithLife family FBOTMs. The reason I got the FamilyLife edition without reading the small print is because I trusted that Logos knows the meaning of words and I therefore assumed - rightly - that Logos agrees that free means what it means. The error here is the juxtaposition of two contradictory ideas (free/not free) and that's why people feel confused and/or misled.

There's nothing wrong with saying "I'll give you this if you give me that." But we can't then say that what you're getting is "free."

Logos rocks. They've simply chosen the wrong word to describe this offer.

it’s not a contradiction. It’s a saying pointing out nothing is really free. 

Platinum: Verbum. || Gold: Eastern Rite, Orthodox. || Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. || Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 2331
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 1:31 PM

Free continual use for most people satisfies the need for resources with a lot of people in what is largely invisible to others.

FWIW, free libraries like this is actually what's paid for on the part of Faithlife and the actual dollars of people who purchased to sustain the creation of all these materials. I look at this as just electronic grace.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 537
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 4:50 PM

David Wanat:

Gordon Jones:

David Wanat:

I think I know what you mean but this sentence is actually a non sequitur and, indeed, is contradictory.

Hi David, is that a saying? Big Smile

I know that there is the saying "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" but that doesn't mean that nothing is free to you, only that someone is paying for it. The air we breathe is 100% free (unless we're on oxygen in hospital) and a lunch is free to you if someone else is paying. If TANSTAAFL is the saying you had in mind, it doesn't mean what you think it means. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Every blessing.

Posts 363
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 5:07 PM

Gordon Jones:

David Wanat:

Gordon Jones:

David Wanat:

I think I know what you mean but this sentence is actually a non sequitur and, indeed, is contradictory.

It’s a variant of TANSTAAFL used in some tech sites I’ve seen.

Hi David, is that a saying? Big Smile

I know that there is the saying "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" but that doesn't mean that nothing is free to you, only that someone is paying for it. The air we breathe is 100% free (unless we're on oxygen in hospital) and a lunch is free to you if someone else is paying. If TANSTAAFL is the saying you had in mind, it doesn't mean what you think it means. I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Every blessing.

Posts 3389
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 6:20 PM

Since FL has clarified that the information shared is name and email address, perhaps it's not as "expensive" as we originally thought?

Grateful for this.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 3389
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 10 2020 6:25 PM

Mattillo:

DAL:

DAL

I'm in the same boat as you.  After grabbing the FamilyLife edition, I didn't notice any additional subscriptions in my library for FLTV.  

From an email from Jan that provided clarifications from FL, there's no subscription, no future charge, and no credit card needed.

Enjoy your three free months (if you don't already have access to FLTV)!

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 9080
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 11 2020 3:42 PM

PetahChristian:

Since FL has clarified that the information shared is name and email address, perhaps it's not as "expensive" as we originally thought?

Grateful for this.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6661
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 11 2020 6:23 PM

Well, I went for it.  As expected, only the Mobile Ed course on marriage downloaded.  Not bad for a freebie!

DAL

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 11 2020 7:28 PM

Where has this been clarified by FL?

PetahChristian:

Grateful for this.

Posts 3389
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 11 2020 7:36 PM

DIsciple II:
Where has this been clarified by FL?

On the FamilyLife landing page.

It used to say "I agree to have my personal information shared with FamilyLife," but now it says "I agree to have my name and email address shared with FamilyLife."

Posts 363
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 11 2020 7:38 PM

I decided to try it, but it looks like zero new resources for me.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS