SUGGESTION: Modernize Sentence Diagrammer so it gets more use PART 2 - Trees and dependencies

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 20 2020 8:01 PM

This is the second half of a plea to bring the sentence diagrammer into contemporary expectations. I know that the statistics on the use of the sentence diagrammer are probably low but would contend that this is an indictment of the tool not a measure of the need.  Sites such as http://mshang.ca/syntree/ show a standard input format  [S [NP This] [VP [V is] [^NP a wug]]] for autogeneration of tree diagrams (or dependency diagrams).

I would suggest that we need to be able to generate the simple dependency diagram:

or it's square cousin

We also need to two most common style of tree diagrams:

and

The tree diagrams also require a horizontal version so that the original language - pointing left and the translation - pointing right can be placed side by side for comparison of the translation to the original at the structural level.

Because I am assuming that there is input reflecting the desired linguistic theory, parsing and dependencies, this is simply a layout issue.

What I would also encourage is the ability to export a sentence from a clause visualization resource and feed it into the sentence diagrammer - with the ability to modify the input string.

Again, the ability to export to Canvas is desirable.

Note: people influenced by Stanford natural language processing another sentence format may be needed:

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2892
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 20 2020 8:20 PM

"How he got in my pajamas I don't know."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ru_R2OwjsY

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1921
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 21 2020 7:42 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I no longer use the sentence diagramming tool, and I tried but don't use the Canvas tool, b/c browser-based alternatives are orders of magnitude easier to use and more responsive. I'm necessarily task-focused when I'm doing such work, and the feature from L4-L8 gets in the way. IMO, the speed, ease-of-use, and task-focus of biblearc is what I'd like to see.

Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS