ATTN FL: What behavior should I expect from the "search" command line?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 28268
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 24 2020 4:35 PM

Note: I am actually using LOGOS for this beta rather than VERBUM. I also misunderstood the changes between L7 and L8 - I thought the GO box and the Command box were merged, not that the GO box functionality disappeared.

I've been trying to get a handle on how Logos looks to a new user ... and managed to thoroughly confuse myself. On the home page, the command line/go box has the directions "Enter passage or search". So I entered "baptism" assuming that it fell into the "or search" option. Here is what I got:

1. The resources that are displayed are the least likely to be of interest to me. They certainly have minimal activity on them. I certainly don't set priorities on all > 50,000 resources in my library.  I have > 70 resources with "Baptism" in the title. How are the resources selected?
  2. In the Guides section, I would expect the Theological Guide to be the most likely candidate for my entry. The Theological Guide shows two probable terms for use. Why is it not shown?
  3. In the Layout section, I get what could also be described as three parameters for the Topic Guide. The behavior makes sense because there is no English word layout or theological layout. But I would expect to see a distinction between Home Page layout and Quickstart layout.

When I use a more "off-the-wall" entry of "fusion", I get:

1. Three Topic Studies - none on the term I entered ... my guess as to what brought them up: afFUSION, conFUSION of tongues, well er ah I can't get to Shame. How are the topics related to the entered term chosen?
  2. The top entry under Search is the command I would expect based on the original content of the input box:"Enter passage or search"

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3115
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 24 2020 9:32 PM

I have wondered the same thing, but couldn't figure out how to best articulate it.  Thanks MJ.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 25384
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 1 2020 1:57 AM

MJ. Smith:
The resources that are displayed are the least likely to be of interest to me

Agree. And being least expected, Resources should not be the first/default option. Consistent use of another option e.g. Search will promote that to being the first option.

MJ. Smith:
In the Guides section, I would expect the Theological Guide to be the most likely candidate for my entry. The Theological Guide shows two probable terms for use. Why is it not shown?

Being the latest Guide, it hasn't been (or thought to be) included. But open theology guide to baptism works.

MJ. Smith:
In the Layout section, I get what could also be described as three parameters for the Topic Guide. The behavior makes sense because there is no English word layout or theological layout. But I would expect to see a distinction between Home Page layout and Quickstart layout.

After initially sacrificing GO box functionality (from Logos 7 Home Page), topics had to be catered for in Logos 8. So the layout is understood to be the Home Page variant, but I dislike the duplication with the Quickstart variant as the background would not be familiar to new users.

MJ. Smith:

When I use a more "off-the-wall" entry of "fusion", I get:

1. Three Topic Studies - none on the term I entered ... my guess as to what brought them up: afFUSION, conFUSION of tongues, well er ah I can't get to Shame. How are the topics related to the entered term chosen?
  2. The top entry under Search is the command I would expect based on the original content of the input box:"Enter passage or search"

An entry like 'and' shows the extent to which meaning as a topic/word is attempted!

See above re: making Search your first option.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS