Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 87
HansK | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 26 2020 2:25 PM

In Isa 11:11 NASB95, I right-click on 'From' and I get 7 (!) times the same Hebrew preposition.

Posts 28129
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2020 5:24 PM

I am not a greek scholar, but I can confirm your findings. I don't know what to make of it. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1323
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 26 2020 7:45 PM

My guess is that the Hebrew verse has that many instances of the preposition, one for each country/region, and the person who aligned this text chose to associate them all with the "From" at the beginning of the verse.

You'll notice something similar happening in the same verse in the LEB. The NIV2011, however, translates each "from" so has the preposition instances distributed appropriately in the verse.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 4844
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 27 2020 3:46 AM

HansK:

In Isa 11:11 NASB95, I right-click on 'From' and I get 7 (!) times the same Hebrew preposition.

Yeah, pretty straight forward--seven mins [which means "from"]. In Hebrew, the preposition is part of the word as an affix (specifically, a prefix). It's the meim (מ) that occurs before Assyria and that occurs after the waaw (ו) [i.e. "and"] in the list of other locations. The nuun [N sound] of min gets elided (dropped off) as part of the grammar of prepositions in this instance. The translators felt impelled to "clean up" the Hebrew to make is easier and more palatable for those who don't know Hebrew. What the text actually says is "...from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands/coastlands of the sea."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS