Reading habits survey

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10623
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 3 2020 12:41 PM

David McKay:
Three Bibles to avoid

Uh, oh. That sounds pretty scary. Thank you for your extensive reply!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 47
David McKay | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 3 2020 3:20 PM

I am grateful for the interesting answers folk have given to my little survey. They help me to think about giving some tips for Bible reading in my coming talk. And they have shown me quite a variety of ways that people read these days. 

Thanks everyone!

Posts 47
David McKay | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 3 2020 3:32 PM

David and Denise have commented on my section “Three Bibles to avoid” in my seminar on Bible translations. 

Im still working on it, but here is where I will probably land:

There are many excellent English translations available today. I notice that some Christians tend to stick with one translation, or type of translation. One aim of my presentation is to get people to read several different translations and different types of translations  

Although I’ve enjoyed reading some Bibles by individual translators (which include The Good News Bible, which was largely done by Robert Bratcher, the J B Phillips New Testament in Modern English, and the Goldingay/Wright Bible For Everyone), I think that Bibles created by a committee are usually more reliable and are less likely to be written with an agenda. 

Three to avoid?

New World Translation of Jehovah’s Witnesses

The Passion

The Amplified Bible. 

Thanks David and Denise for challenging me. 

Posts 3733
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 3 2020 3:45 PM

1. What is your primary method of reading a book: Logos Bible Software
tablet

2. How often do you read a whole book in hard copy? rarely, the last one I read cover to cover was probably 3 months ago. In any format, I tend to read with a highly targeted research agenda. So I tend to read entries in dictionaries, sections in commentaries, journal articles, chapters and so on and skip over what is not relevant or less useful. 
3. How often do you read a whole book with an ereader? rarely
4. How often do you read a whole book with Logos Bible Software? a bit more often but again just a handful of entire books per year
5. Have you read a whole book on a smart phone? never that I can recall
6. Do you read whole books on a tablet? rarely. I prefer the reading experience on the tablet but use the desktop more because it is more convenient for notetaking and using other features on the go that enhance my study.
7. How often do you read the Bible on the above media? What medium do you prefer? daily, I alternate based on mood and eye fatigue between the hard copy and Logos desktop on the PC or tablet.
8. How often do you read a whole Bible book on a smartphone, tablet, or in a Bible software program? I have read most Bible books in one sitting at some point but since I know them quite well now, I tend to prefer to read slowly to pay closer attention to individual passages, ponder, dig into exegetical questions and explore practical implications (which often take me to other passages and books of the Bible). I also use other methods than entire book reading to conduct study at the macro level (using introductions, searching and looking up themes and use of vocabulary etc). 

Posts 3733
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 3 2020 3:48 PM

David McKay:
Three to avoid?

The first answer that comes to mind is "The Message".

Posts 1920
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 4 2020 11:38 AM
  1. 70% kindle app on iOS; 25% hard copy; 5% Logos app on iOS
  2. 1-2 per month
  3. 2-5 per year
  4. never (occasionally read parts of books I'm reading when I don't have my iPad)
  5. 5-10 per month
  6. Vast majority of my Bible reading is on iPad; when studying passages I'll read it on desktop Logos
  7. I've done my daily Bible reading strictly on iPad for the last 8 years - through the Bible at least once each of those years

Hope that helps,

Donnie

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS