How do I copy a note from one note file to another

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 24 2010 1:33 PM

I would like to be able to copy a note (or notes) from one of my files that I have imported from 3.0 to a different file. I have huge note files that take forever to scroll through in Logos 4.

Is there a way to pull out the individual notes and paste or copy them to a new file? 

Thanks for the help.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 1:37 PM

Just found that I can copy the contents of a note and paste that into a new note.

Would still like to be able to copy whole notes or multiple notes

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 1:51 PM

Someone else found an unintentional way of doing it (depends on a bug that we won't report for now because it would make this workaround stop working):

Drag a note to move it from one Notes file to another. Then press Ctrl+Z to undo. It will move the note back to its original place but it will leave a copy in the destination location. It's not supposed to work that way. Undo should completely undo the operation. But for now you can use this trick to copy notes. Only one at a time, though. There is no way to do move (or copy) multiple notes at once.

Ideally I'd like Ctrl+drag to copy a note from one file to another, and I've reported that as a request, but until they implement that, I hope they leave this bug alone! Smile

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 2:00 PM

Thanks Rosie - hope Logos doesn't do away with this!

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:21 PM

frederick harrell:

I would like to be able to copy a note (or notes) from one of my files that I have imported from 3.0 to a different file. I have huge note files that take forever to scroll through in Logos 4.

Is there a way to pull out the individual notes and paste or copy them to a new file? 

Something that seems to not be talked about much, or documented as much as its worth, but Logos4 is VERY GOOD at allowing you to Drag-and-Drop stuff in most parts of the application.

A few examples:

• You can highlight some text in Logos4, and drag a copy into Notepad or MS Word etc.
  • You can drag a copy of a verse from a Bible into a Logos4 Note FIle
  • You can drag a command, such as "Update Now" from the Command Box, onto the Toolbar or Faviorites
  • You can drag a whole Note from one Note File to a different Note File (see below graphic)

In my example, if I left-click-and-hold near the red arrow, I can drag the entire Note into the left-hand Note File. Just as I did with the Note already on the left.

I think that using as I have just described will be a great way to solve what you are wanting to do with some of your longer Note Files.

(This being able to drag and drop things around is one of the many features I think Logos4 does very well.)

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:26 PM

That would be a great video for someone to make, showing all the things you can drag and drop in Logos (and between Logos and the outside world)!

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 9:52 PM

Rosie Perera:
showing all the things you can drag and drop in Logos (and between Logos and the outside world

You might be surprised to see what Logos4 will sometimes write to the Windows Clipboard, or let you drag to an external application. Smile

Yes, I think if one of the talented writers wants to write up Drag-and-Drop on a Wiki page, that would be great. Then link a video or two for the bits where its hard to get the idea from a text description or static image.

Drag-and-Drop is a very powerful Windows feature that few applications ever do much with. Word is maybe one of the best, but it seems the Logos team has designed and implemented a very rich set into Logos4.

I'm not so good at outlining new ideas, or getting the "big picture" started, but if someone else wants to start a Drag-and-Drop wiki page, I'll add some ideas to it.

(Off topic now, but Logos4 does NOT follow the Windows standard for Move or Copy based on Mouse, or Shift-Mouse, or Control-Mouse during Drag-and-Drop operations. E.G. I can Move a Note as above, but not Copy it.)

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 24 2010 10:18 PM

JimT:

Drag-and-Drop is a very powerful Windows feature that few applications ever do much with. Word is maybe one of the best, but it seems the Logos team has designed and implemented a very rich set into Logos4.

I don't think that's any accident. I was on the Word team when we were given the mandate from on high (Bill Gates) to make drag and drop work everywhere one might expect it to do something reasonable, and ditto for right click context menus. So we started adding it to everything. Bob was at the company working on a cousin product, Works, at the time. So he would have imbibed some of that fervor for drag-and-drop. Logos 4 does lots with right-click context menus, too.

JimT:

I'm not so good at outlining new ideas, or getting the "big picture" started, but if someone else wants to start a Drag-and-Drop wiki page, I'll add some ideas to it.

OK, I've gotten a page started, linked in from the Table of Contents under "Miscellany": http://wiki.logos.com/Drag-and-drop. I just copied in the few basic examples that you gave above, but you could flesh it out some more. If you want structure, I can add headings to it later.

JimT:

(Off topic now, but Logos4 does NOT follow the Windows standard for Move or Copy based on Mouse, or Shift-Mouse, or Control-Mouse during Drag-and-Drop operations. E.G. I can Move a Note as above, but not Copy it.)

Not so off topic. I mentioned wishing for Ctrl+drag to Copy above (as that was the OP's original request), and I've already reported it as a bug that it doesn't work that way, and Melissa said it is being considered for a future release. Note that Ctrl+drag does work as expected for dragging tabs around -- it will open a new copy of the resource in another tab. What is holding the Shift key down during a drag operation supposed to do in Windows? In Word, the grand-daddy of all drag-and-drop apps, it doesn't do anything different than a simple drag and drop.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:33 AM

Wanring: Geek Windows Programming comments follow. Don't bother to read unless you care to know. These are'nt  the droids you're looking for. ... Move along! Move along!

Rosie Perera:
What is holding the Shift key down during a drag operation supposed to do in Windows?

Well, the Windows API directly supports the following "styles" for a Drag-and-Drop operation:

• None (0)
  • Copy (1)
  • Move (2)
  • Link (4)
  • Scroll
  • All

Also, when an object is dropped, the target receives a keystate value that reports Shift, Alt, Control and Mouse Buttons status. In principle, its possible to use a very complex set of these to convey different operations. Microsoft only define a tiny subset of all possible usage. I imagine there are apps out there that define and use some of these extra ones for whatever reason.

The program I'm working on to explore the COM API in Logos4 is also a full Drag-and-Drop target, and is monitoring the Windows Clipboard message pump too, so it gets many updates of all kinds of things as Logos4 goes about its work. Most of them are of little interest, and in some cases, Logos defines and uses private internal data formats within the IDataObject blob of information, for its own internal use. Mostly only the unicode text and RTF is of external interest.

Last night I got the above program controlling Windows Media Player 11, so it can start and stop an MP3 (or video file) playing. It can read the total time duration of the media file, and the current location and play status. I expect soon to be able to play my ESV Bible MP3 files I purchased, and have Logos4 follow along in the text of the ESV. Also jump to the approx correct new place in the MP3 when one goes to a different place in the ESV on Logos4.

One wonders what kinds of update would be possible to the new "Learning to use Greek and Hebrew" videos, if it had a Teaching program driving the video files, and have Logos4 open and jump around the various resources as it works. I don't have the set, so can't explore what might be possible, or if it would even be a good fit for the contents. There seems no reason why it could not open BDAG to the right page, to match the one on the screen, or to open "Bible Search" or whatever, as it describes those features.

I would love to explore these things if Bob would put down a pile of cash ... Smile

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:53 AM

OK, I understand the programming geek speak. I used to be a Windows developer. But you said Logos doesn't follow "the Windows standard for Move or Copy based on Mouse, or Shift-Mouse, or Control-Mouse" and I thought you were talking about the UI. So I thought you were implying there was something in the Windows Style Guide (which I guess is now called the Windows User Experience Interaction Guidelines) recommending that Windows apps do some standard behavior on Shift-Mouse. Do you think it's supposed to be "Link"? Are there other apps which do this? I don't see anything about this in the page on mouse behavior, though there's lots of interesting stuff in there which it would behoove some application developers to become familiar with.

I'm not planning on using the Logos COM API, so while it would be good if they are passing you the info about whether the Shift key is down or not when the user drags, I'm not particularly exercised about it. Especially if nobody else does anything with that combination and there's no expected standard behavior.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 1:11 AM

Actually Rosie, when I wrote that first part, I could not remember what key was meant to do copy instead of move, so I wrote "... Mouse, Shift-Mouse, or Control-Mouse ..."

Sorry if that confused you. I was taking a shortcut.

In fact, if I wanted, I could make my own program take different actions if I drag some highlighted text from Logos4 into a text panel, based on the shift key. Saying that, making sure I followed the style guides and common usage is always the first best move.

Windows does already pass on the staus of the shift key being down or not. Its standard Windows. Its up to the target application to decide if its interested in a drop operation, and what if anything its going to do about it. It also gets to look in the blob of data on offer, to see if any of the formats are of interest. That's why if you try and drag a command icon from Logos4 to Word, its not wanted by Word. But if you drag some text, Word knows there is some RTF on offer, so agrees that its interested, and informs Windows that it wants some of that kind of data. Thats why the mouse pointer changes at times during drag. There is a lot of plumbing in Windows to make cool stuff like this just work, as long as each application plays along. Logos4 appears to be one of the good ones in this regard.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:53 PM

Wheee! this drag and drop in a different note file works great for what i was after.

For those who have not used this be sure to grab the note from below the heading to be sure you get the right note.

Thanks to both you for the help.

Now if only the display could keep up with my typing in notes....

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS