Five Solas Question

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7198
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 6 2020 2:12 PM

I know is a “reformed” resource, but is the entire set worth having or just a few volumes?

Also, is “reformed” the equivalent to being “calvinistic”? I read in a thread recently  (can’t find it) that those two terms are synonyms.  How accurate is that? Are there resources that can help defining the two?  I was under the impression that any denomination was under the “reformed umbrella.” I used to be an evangelical Pentecostal and supposedly that and other denominations are protestant; hence, reformed, even if they don’t believe calvinism.  Yes, I know, it’s confusing, but if the confusion can be cleared, I’d like to read resources that can help by providing solid clarification.

I’m only familiar with the Scriptures Alone volume and it does a pretty good job at defending the authority of the scriptures over “traditions” but I’d like to know what approach the other volumes take. Example: Is it faith only and we have nothing to do just believe? Or is it faith conjoined with obedience? Is it grace only and it doesn’t matter if you sin, you are still saved? Or is it grace alone but the grace that teaches you to live a godly life? What approach do the other volumes take.  As it is right now, the set will only cost me $9 bucks, but if the entire set is not worth having, then I can use my credit for something else.  

FWIW, I don’t mind reading “calvinistic” material if this is worth reading and well presented.

Please be careful responding to avoid turning this into a theological debate.  Just mention each volume’s perspective/approach and if it’s worth having all five volumes.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 554
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 6 2020 7:27 PM

Reformed is usually understood more broadly than Calvinism, such as a greater appreciation for Covenant Theology. All variations of Reformed would be Calvinistic in soteriology. (You might have edge cases where Amyraldians identify as Reformed and whether that is accepted by "five pointers".) You'll occasionally hear some Presbyterians don't think Baptists are consistently Reformed (and vice versa), but this sort of boundary drawing really isn't taken too seriously in my experience

DAL:
Example: Is it faith only and we have nothing to do just believe? Or is it faith conjoined with obedience? Is it grace only and it doesn’t matter if you sin, you are still saved? Or is it grace alone but the grace that teaches you to live a godly life?

Thomas Schreiner is the author of the volume Faith Alone. He is a Baptist. Carl Trueman is the author of Grace Alone. He is Presbyterian.

The Reformed or Calvinist doctrine of perseverance of the saints is not the "Once Saved Always Saved" position indicated by your "it doesn't matter if you sin". The basic idea would be that with regeneration God begins the work of sanctification. Thus, someone who is truly saved will produce fruit, will persevere. Hence, perseverance of the saints (the P in TULIP). Sometimes this is called "preservation of the saints" to emphasize God's working through the believer. 

Thomas Schreiner tries to carve out more space for works and take more seriously the warning passages than some Reformed. For instance, his position is that the warning passages really are teaching directed to genuine Christians and if the Christian were to fail to persevere, they would be lost. However, the warning passages are also a means by which God ensures the perseverance of the saints.

Hope this helps.

Also, just to address the grace and salvation thing some:

DAL:
Is it grace only and it doesn’t matter if you sin, you are still saved?

Reformed would typically want to be careful to draw a distinction between justification and salvation. "Salvation" usually being a more general term for the over all process. Justification one of the steps in that process. Primarily justification is seen as a one time forensic declaration by God, past tense in the life of the Christian. However, if one qualifies sufficiently what is meant by a future judgment in accordance with works, some like Schreiner wouldn't be opposed to calling that "justification" so long as it doesn't obscure the forensic justification by faith.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 7198
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 6 2020 11:41 PM

Thanks! Any resources to go along with this? 

Also, the five solas are not necessarily calvinistic then? I just bought a book by Schreiner titled: The Race Set Before Us, I will definitely start reading it.  It seems like a well balanced book based on the toc.

DAL

Posts 28959
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 12:43 AM

wikipedia:

The solae were not systematically articulated together until the 20th century; however, sola gratia and sola fide were used in conjunction by the Reformers themselves. For example, in 1554 Melanchthon wrote, "sola gratia justificamus et sola fide justificamur" ("only by grace do we justify and only by faith are we justified"). All of the solae show up in various writings by the Protestant Reformers, but they are not catalogued together by any.

In 1916, Lutheran scholar Theodore Engelder published an article titled "The Three Principles of the Reformation: Sola Scriptura, Sola Gratia, Sola Fides" ("only scripture, only grace, only faith"). In 1934, theologian Emil Brunner substituted Soli Deo gloriam for Sola Scriptura. In 1958, historian Geoffrey Elton, summarizing the work of John Calvin, wrote that Calvin had "joined together" the "great watchwords". Elton listed sola fide with sola gratia as one term, followed by sola scriptura and soli Deo gloria. Later, in commenting on Karl Barth's theological system, Brunner added Christus solus to the litany of solas while leaving out sola scriptura. The first time the additional two solae are mentioned is in Johann Baptiste Metz's 1965, The Church and the World.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7198
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 7 2020 5:56 AM

I put the 5 Solas series in my wishlist.  Hopefully it will make it to March Matchups or Madness 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 10:28 AM

I have the 5 Solas series and I really like it. I haven't read it in entirety but it is very information dense and makes its arguments straight from scripture. If it pops up in march madness I would  recommend it :-) 

Posts 7198
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 1:10 PM

Dave Thawley:

I have the 5 Solas series and I really like it. I haven't read it in entirety but it is very information dense and makes its arguments straight from scripture. If it pops up in march madness I would  recommend it :-) 

I bought them all for $9.99! I don’t think MM  2020 will do better, price wise 👍😁👌

Posts 3375
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2020 11:14 AM

I too have the series and found them quite informative, but you may also want to take a look at these.

Beyond Five Points

By His Grace and for His Glory: A Historical, Theological and Practical Study of the Doctrines of Grace in Baptist Life

Covenant Theology: A Reformed Baptist Perspective

Chosen by God

Foundations of the Christian Faith: A Comprehensive & Readable Theology Revised and Expanded

There are many more out there, but you may want to look at these as well.

mm.

mm.

Posts 7198
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2020 12:02 PM

Milkman:

I own the first 2.  I’ll get the one by Boice later.  It seems to have more information than chosen by God and covenant theology.  Thanks for pointing those out!

DAL

Posts 3375
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2020 1:16 PM

Anytime brother!

DAL:

Milkman:

I own the first 2.  I’ll get the one by Boice later.  It seems to have more information than chosen by God and covenant theology.  Thanks for pointing those out!

DAL

mm.

Posts 1259
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2020 1:26 PM

DAL:

Milkman:

DAL

DAL

If you're going to get the Boice volume, consider getting the the previous edition. It's $19 cheaper. The only difference appears to be a foreword by Philip Ryken and a section-by-section study guide. Otherwise I believe the contents actually written by Boice are the same.

https://www.logos.com/product/2946/foundations-of-the-christian-faith

Posts 7198
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 15 2020 2:27 PM

Paul, super thanks 🙏 brother!

Turns out I own the previous version! You just saved me some money 💴 One of the cons of having 13k + resources.  You kind of don’t really know what all you have.

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS