Lexham Context Commentary?

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 10:13 AM

Ted Weis:

Why isn't there a video demonstration of how this resource works?

And as expected from most Lexham Press resources, no sample pages to evaluate the resource a bit.  About 97% of Lexham Press resources have no previews; in spite of the fact we’ve been kindly asking for them.  
The resource seems interesting, but let’s just hope it gets included in a starter package for L9.

Anyway, it’d be nice if those who purchased it could post an entire chapter like Ephesians 6 or Hebrews 3 or James 3, etc.  A little cooperation would be appreciated by both Faithlife and other users.  Who knows, maybe with some samples some might end up buying...hint, hint! 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1879
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 11:25 AM

I would wait for L9 to make any purchases. It's only less than a year, you guys can do it! Meanwhile read those other thousand of books you have sitting cold in the library. :)

Posts 330
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 11:36 AM

Does anyone have an idea if an OT version of this is in the works? 

Posts 28749
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 12:45 PM

DAL:

BTW, does the set include graphics or just text?

No graphics that I have run into.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 12:48 PM

MJ. Smith:

DAL:

BTW, does the set include graphics or just text?

No graphics that I have run into.

Thanks! My decision is easier now 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 28749
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 12:49 PM

J. Remington Bowling:
Not sure I understand why these resources exist.

By focusing on a single type of criticism, it serves as (a) an example of how that criticism works (b) illustrates the strengths and weaknesses of the method (c) gets one sufficiently comfortable with the method to call it out when misapplied or seek more information when needed (d) serves as a bridge from Rykan's works to Bible text.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1529
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2020 1:16 PM

MJ. Smith:
By focusing on a single type of criticism

Do you mean narrative criticism?

The blurb does not say it, but I can infer that now.

My friend is a supporter of narrative criticism, and I am happy to be in the same boat - although I feel I understand it narrative criticism as much as the snowman in the backyard.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1529
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2020 10:54 AM

Well, the temptation was too high, I bought it (the storm outside allows me an end-of-the-world urgency)

For me it looks like a good one for a Bible study group leader. Nevertheless can be a good starting point for a serious study.

I like the outlines.

Here is one example:

Parables About God’s Love for the Lost (15:1–32)

As Jesus continues to describe what it means to be an heir of the kingdom, he turns to describing God’s attitude toward the “lost” people who come into that kingdom. In Luke 15:1–32, Jesus offers three pictures of rejoicing over something that was lost that has been found. And in each instance, the person who finds what was lost throws a feast. The specific reason for Jesus sharing these three parables about lostness is to explain why his ministry is focused on the population that the religious elite haughtily identify as “sinners,” unworthy of their attention. This is not God’s attitude toward even the lowest prodigal who nonetheless “comes to himself” and repents.

Parable of the Lost Sheep (15:1–7)

When Pharisees and scribes complain about Jesus’ choice of company, he speaks the first of three parables about lostness to them. Jesus tells about a shepherd with one hundred sheep. When one of the sheep wanders away, the shepherd leaves the rest of the fold to find the lost one. The shepherd rejoices when he finds the lost sheep. The emphasis is that God loves sinners and celebrates their repentance.

15:1–2 The religious leaders complain that Jesus keeps company with people they deem to be sinners.

15:3–4 Jesus speaks a parable to the religious leaders in response to their complaint. Jesus’ parable describes a man who loses one of his one hundred sheep and leaves the ninety-nine to find one sheep that has wandered from the fold.

15:5–6 When the sheep is found, the shepherd rejoices and celebrates with his friends that he has found his sheep.

15:7 The point of the parable is stated in 15:7. God joyously celebrates over the repentance of sinners.

Parable of the Lost Coin (15:8–10)

Jesus’ second parable about lostness is about a woman who has ten coins and loses one. She searches until she has found the lost coin and then celebrates its recovery. Likewise, God celebrates the repentance of a sinner.

15:8 Another parable illustrating the same point as the earlier parable is spoken. This time the parable concerns a woman with ten silver coins who loses one and anxiously searches for it. As in the previous parable, the possession lost has value to the one who has lost it.

15:9 Once the woman has found her coin, she celebrates her discovery with her friends.

15:10 The point of the parable is once again stated. God rejoices when those who are lost repent.

Mangum, D. (Ed.). (2020). Lexham Context Commentary: New Testament (Lk 15:1–10). Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

I took this example because I am speculating that the lost sheep parable points to the Jews and the lost coin (drakhma δραχμὰ) to the pagans. The commentaries what I have don't say anything like that, unless I have missed some. This outline commentary does not say it either.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 9 2020 4:46 PM

Thanks for the sample! I wish it was more, but it’s enough to get an idea.  In regards to outlines and great practical explanations, I like MacArthur’s commentaries and John Phillips both provide extensive outlines.  Great starting point for expository lessons! My new set of works by Cyril Barber is proving extremely helpful too.  Anyway, the commentaries look ok 👌 but I think I’ll wait for a better sale or for them to hopefully make it into a starter or bronze bp when L9 comes out 

👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 3:17 AM

”See inside” with sample pages is now available.  Small practical commentary for each section.  Too basic, but still useful to get a jumpstart during sermon prep or a class.

Thanks for the sample sections!

DAL

Posts 544
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 9:20 AM

MJ. Smith:
By focusing on a single type of criticism, it serves as (a) an example of how that criticism works (b) illustrates the strengths and weaknesses of the method (c) gets one sufficiently comfortable with the method to call it out when misapplied or seek more information when needed (d) serves as a bridge from Rykan's works to Bible text.

While these are all good things, I'm still not sure it justifies the existence of the commentary series since all of these points can be covered in a book on contextual criticism that included several examples. I'm not trying to suggest that there is no value in a commentary series focusing on a particular angle within biblical studies or theology. The Lexham Geographic Commentary, for example, has value in that it focuses more heavily on an angle that is often overlooked or only touched on lightly by other commentaries. But I don't know of any commentary that overlooks or only touches lightly upon context.

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 98
LogosEmployee
Doug Mangum | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 9:51 AM

Jonathan Bradley:

Does anyone have an idea if an OT version of this is in the works? 

There are discussions about extending this to cover the OT. We're planning on it as likely to happen, but it's not being actively written yet.

Posts 98
LogosEmployee
Doug Mangum | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 10:01 AM

DAL:

... still useful to get a jumpstart during sermon prep or a class.

This was meant to be part of the appeal of this approach. It's concise and direct. You can get a quick orientation before you decide whether you need to go deeper in your standard commentaries.

Posts 17
Mason Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 11:43 AM

Doug Mangum:

DAL:

This was meant to be part of the appeal of this approach. It's concise and direct. You can get a quick orientation before you decide whether you need to go deeper in your standard commentaries.

This is perfect for me. For preparing sermons on any given week, quick and concise context and structure is exactly what I want to get a jump start on the text or to compare notes after I've gotten started. In seminary I used and prized the majorly technical commentaries, but now that I've got people in the hospital to see, staff to work with, people to meet with and disciple, and general church direction to provide, I prize quick and concise sermon helps. 

Thanks for putting this together!

Posts 1529
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 12:12 PM

Gospel of John is missing from this commentary.

I expect Douglas will add it some day.

Posts 1933
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 1:08 PM

Veli Voipio:

there was a blurb about this on the Lexham Context Commentary page, it is scheduled to ship Q2 or 2020.

Posts 1529
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 1:25 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

Veli Voipio:

there was a blurb about this on the Lexham Context Commentary page, it is scheduled to ship Q2 or 2020.

Ok, thanks!

Posts 3735
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 2:04 PM

It can now be found in a bundle for those interested.  If this bundle were on the Lexham site I'd probably grab it but I didn't see it earlier.

https://www.logos.com/product/189366/lexham-press-new-testament-commentaries-bundle 

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 5:13 PM

They should include it in MM2020 or offer a good introductory price for next month’s sale 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 7081
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 5:34 PM

Doug Mangum:

DAL:

Any chance you can reactivate my FL Connect 25% off coupon so I can add it to my library.  Or better yet, a 30% off introductory price some time soon to celebrate its release 👌

DAL

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS