Help Us Fund: The Scriptures, 2009 Edition

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 15
LogosEmployee
Thom Blair (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 10 2020 4:19 PM

The Scriptures, 2009 Edition is a Pre-Pub product that is not funding as well as we had hoped. Unfortunately, we will have to retire this product page at the end of Februrary 2020 if it doesn't have enough orders by then. The current Pre-Pub price is $7.99. Check it out, and if you'd like to see it in Logos, place your Pre-Pub order and get the word out to others who might be interested. Thanks!

Posts 6898
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 5:29 PM

I just contributed by placing my prepub 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 10652
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 6:13 PM

DAL:

I just contributed by placing my prepub 👍😁👌

I was totally unimpressed. Finally, another Bible. They changed the names, re-sorted the books, I guess got rid names created by imprudent parents, and so on.

But, it might be more helpful to go to the site:

https://isr-messianic.org/publications/the-scriptures.html 

Then, scroll down to the samples. I guess the Logos ones didn't catch my interest?  But the book of John was interesting. Also Psalms.

I signed, but at 50% and 20 days? Not even 40 days and nights .. or was that Jonah.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 28131
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 8:23 PM

A better sales job would be needed for me to pre order. What is the group publishing it? What do they believe? Why another translation?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1043
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 9:00 PM

JT (alabama24):

A better sales job would be needed for me to pre order. What is the group publishing it? What do they believe? Why another translation?

This book that they publish expresses the theology of the original translator: https://isr-messianic.org/publications/come-out-of-her-my-people.html

I shall not be paying money for this although using Elohim and the Hebrew for YHWH might make excite a fan of the JEDP theory.

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 10 2020 10:09 PM

JT (alabama24):
What is the group publishing it? What do they believe? Why another translation?

It is an update of Institute for Scripture Research. The Scriptures. South Africa: Institute for Scripture Research (Pty) Ltd, 2000. which is already in Logos. I know I was one asking for the version currently in Logos because it has some unique uses in comparing translations on the basis of translators theological tradition. Do I think one needs an updated version? Not particularly.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2500
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 4:55 AM

Thom Blair (Faithlife):

a Pre-Pub product that is not funding as well as we had hoped. Unfortunately, we will have to retire this product page at the end of February 2020 if it doesn't have enough orders by then. 

Please publish your rules for how an item is selected for being retired as there are many very old items that are still listed.  Thanks.

Posts 2500
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 5:00 AM

MJ. Smith:

It is an update of Institute for Scripture Research. The Scriptures. South Africa: Institute for Scripture Research (Pty) Ltd, 2000. which is already in Logos.  

Please post the link to this - I can not find it.

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 12:59 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/138247/the-scriptures-2009-edition

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 1:30 PM

You're correct, it appears that the version I own has been withdrawn from the catalogue ... I would expect to find it without a price.

Posts 3407
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 1:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

You're correct, it appears that the version I own has been withdrawn from the catalogue ... I would expect to find it without a price.

Would you consider the 2009 version potentially worth acquiring for folks who don't have yours?

Posts 5270
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 3:17 PM

I have preordered it but I must admit that i almost never use the copy i have now and find it rather annoying...

ROMANS

Sha’ul, a servant of יהושׁע Messiah, a called emissary, separated to the Good News of Elohim,

which He promised before through His prophets in the Set-apart Scriptures,

concerning His Son, who came of the seed of Dawiḏ according to the flesh,

who was designated Son of Elohim with power, according to the Set-apart Spirit, by the resurrection from the dead: יהושׁע Messiah, the Master of us,

Institute for Scripture Research, The Scriptures (South Africa: Institute for Scripture Research (Pty) Ltd, 2000), Ro.

Now I have no issue with the more Semitic versions of names but Joshua in Hebrew for Jesus is a wee bit much for me... (Yes I realize that Jesus comes from the Aramaic Yeshua equaling Yoshua in the Hebrew), but feels odd to me. I do hope this update makes it to Logos but I doubt that I will use it much.

-dan

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 3:19 PM

SineNomine:
Would you consider the 2009 version potentially worth acquiring for folks who don't have yours?

Yes, because I consider it important to be familiar with the Bible that specific groups are using.

Posts 1064
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 4:23 PM

Dan, thanks for sharing that snippet.  I agree with you; whatever the theoretical advantages of this translation approach may be, the result does seem annoying.  Forcing the reader to flip back and forth between the Roman and Hebrew alphabets in the middle of a verse strikes me as particularly obnoxious.  While technical commentaries flip back and forth between languages and scripts in the middle of a sentence all the time, it shouldn't be necessary when all you want to do is read one of Paul's epistles.

Posts 2500
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 6:21 PM

My question was already answered.

Posts 2500
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 6:32 PM

EastTN:

whatever the theoretical advantages of this translation approach may be, the result does seem annoying.  Forcing the reader to flip back and forth between the Roman and Hebrew alphabets in the middle of a verse strikes me as particularly obnoxious.  

There are only a few names in Hebrew [other then place names] and one soon recognizes the name of God [and most of the other ones used over and over again]  So it is not that distracting to one that uses it frequently.  [a friend uses it as her goto bible.  After a half hour study with her, using that version, I was reading "God" and "Jesus" almost as if I knew what I was doing] 

Posts 3407
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 7:25 PM

MJ. Smith:

SineNomine:

Yes, because I consider it important to be familiar with the Bible that specific groups are using.

That makes sense.

I've now downloaded the 1998 version as a (free) Epub from the ISR's website; it is interesting. I can see some value in having the 2009 one to consult in Verbum.

Posts 2363
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 11 2020 7:51 PM

Logos makes this much more worthwhile than having a hard copy on the shelf. If someone uses it in a class, you can bring it right up to see what they do.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9170
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 12 2020 6:28 AM

I just added my pre-order but it looks like it still has a long way to go.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS