Logos on a 43" screen @ 4K

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 13 2020 8:33 PM

Logos takes up a lot of real estate, especially when you have complex workspaces. I've been running Logos on a 30" monitor @ 2K for a while now. Recently I decided to move it to a 43" monitor @ 4K. It's quite dreamy.

The first photo here is quite distorted, due to the wide angle lens on my phone. The monitor in the center looks like it's the smallest, when it's actually the second largest. From right, 30" @ 2K, 32" @ 2K (curved), 43" @ 4K.

Posts 1053
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 9:05 PM

So that's what Logos would look like on a 4K 43" screen instead of my 17" 1080p screen. I bet it's cheap at twice the price too :) Thanks for sharing.

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 9:14 PM

Screens these size are getting pretty cheap these days. Of course the refresh rate is only 60Hz, and it doesn't have an extended color gamut, or FreeSync, or HDR, or any fancy gaming features, but that's irrelevant for Logos. It doesn't need gaming specifications to perform really well for Logos.

Posts 1527
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 13 2020 11:18 PM

I have a 32" 4k monitor.

It has the same number of pixels as yours, but the font I use is small if I want to include many resources on the screen.

With a large screen, the user must move more, which can be counted as an gym?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 1:10 AM

I think 2K is the sweetspot for 32". I wasn't going to use 4K with anything under a 40" monitor.

Posts 1431
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 6:55 AM

I've recently been able to move to using  2x32" 4k monitors, but I scale the resolution. I still get the sharpness, but not the tiny text.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 194
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 7:58 AM

I use a 40" 4K screen at work and at home.  It's wonderful.  I use 40" 4K TVs.  You can get them for around $200 these days which is remarkably inexpensive.

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 10:11 AM

That's a really good idea :-) 

Posts 27
Bayard Bastedo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2020 7:41 AM

This idea is really neat. Cheap, too, compared to a monitor. Escaping Windows 7, I'm about to get a new computer, probably a new screen too. So how does one hook them together? Simply an HDMI cable?

Thanks in advance,

Bayard Bastedo

Posts 194
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2020 9:45 AM

Bayard Bastedo:

This idea is really neat. Cheap, too, compared to a monitor. Escaping Windows 7, I'm about to get a new computer, probably a new screen too. So how does one hook them together? Simply an HDMI cable?

Thanks in advance,

Bayard Bastedo

Yes.  A single HDMI cable will work as long as your laptop/graphic card is able to output 4K resolution.  Some older computers will not be able to do it. I have an older graphics card on my desktop that can only output 4K 4:2:2 at 30hz, but that works fine for Logos.  Someday I'll upgrade to a more modern card for 60hz output.  I had a 2012 MacBook pro that couldn't do 4K at all.  I now have a 2019 MacBook pro that outputs 4K just fine.

Posts 9
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2020 9:53 AM

Bear in mind that a TV will most likely be running 4K @ 60Hz. If you're already used to a 60Hz refresh rate, then that's fine. However, I found it quite difficult to get used to, after being accustomed to the 144Hz refresh rate of my 32" monitor. Of course you can buy  43" monitors which will display 4K @ 120Hz, but they are far more expensive than 43" TVs running 4K @ 60Hz.

Posts 2400
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 10 2020 11:56 AM

I've been thinking about getting a big 4K screen and running it via a wireless HDMI device from my laptop. My new research assistant is a very energetic Angora and if I don't place the monitor against the wall, the little rascal will see the screen as something to leap over and a long cable as something else to jump over or wrestle with. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS