SUGGESTION: Verbum vs. Logos

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 14 2020 3:16 PM

There are some of us who have considerable investment both in Logos base packages and in Verbum base packages. We should not have to install both products on our machine to get full functionality. Neither should we have to switch the modes in which we are running or lose elements of our work when going between the two products. Please allow three modes of running your software:

• Logos mode - all defaults and behaviors from Logos
  • Verbum mode - all defaults and behaviors from Verbum
  • Combined mode - user chooses between Logos and Verbum defaults; all behaviors and tools are available from both Logos & Verbum ... hence no loss of data/options

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1064
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 3:52 PM

MJ, this may be a dumb question, but couldn't we get the same result if there were just "combined mode" and at installation you were given three choices: install with Logos defaults, install with Verbum defaults, or select your own defaults?  Or is that what you're saying?

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 3:59 PM

EastTN:
but couldn't we get the same result if there were just "combined mode"

Yes, but Faithlife made the decision that some of its user base, as illustrated previously in the forums, took poorly to the contamination of their software with alternative canons and other verboten options. So I assumed that for marketing purposes there needed to be Logos and Verbum versions that "just worked" with no indication of other possibilities. And I have multi-year experience of the data loss between the version being acknowledged as a bug but not addressed so a merged version seemed to be a practical way to address the bug.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8150
LogosEmployee

MJ. Smith:
And I have multi-year experience of the data loss between the version being acknowledged as a bug

What is the "data loss"?

Verbum adds three built-in system collections. It also changes some default priorities (which are inconsequential once you've started prioritising your own resources) and some default guides (which can be simulated by making your own guide templates).

You can get everything a theoretical "combined mode" would have by running Verbum (because it only adds features; it doesn't take any away).

Posts 28290
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 9:10 PM

Notes in the guide sections that are unique to Logos and existence of section in saved guides.. SermonAudio.com is an example, I think although I haven't retested. There were 3 sections IIRC all external sermon/media related.

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

MJ. Smith:

The problem that currently exists is that the contents of a saved guide changes if you open a Logos Guide in Verbum - the unsupported sections are dropped so that when you open it again in Logos the additional Logos sections are lost. Not a good implementation.

I agree with you that this behavior is incorrect. I'll make a note to do a quick check on this Monday.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS