Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1539
Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 25 2010 8:16 AM

For those of us that have had formal training in one of the original languages, I believe we are going to have to undergo a fundamental paradigm shift when viewing these videos. One of the two authors made the comment that these series were not meant to turn you into translators. This difference in goal, leads to a very different teaching style than I went through when learning Greek, and it immediately colored my view of the worth of the videos. As I looked through the Greek content, I kept looking for the vocabularies, the memorization lists and was disappointed when I didn't find them. Learning a language in my mind is synonymous with carrying rings of flash cards, memorization, writing the different verb forms over and over and over again.

This is different, and if you compare the two methodologies, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, the intensity of my Greek classes has always been a barrier to my learning Hebrew. So I started with the Hebrew set, and Dr. Heiser's (Mike) videos are allowing me to pull content from Hebrew scriptures using Logos tools in a relatively short time. I can't read or write Hebrew. Heck, I haven't even memorized the alphabet yet, but it is useful NOW!

In the same way, Johnny's videos will make my understanding of Greek even more useful as he refreshes some basic concepts that I haven't looked at in a while and tools to make exegesis less painful.

So approach this tool for it's stated goal, and let go of the past. Big Smile

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:04 AM

I love paradigm shifts :) Bring it on

Posts 293
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:32 AM

I'm a first time student in this area with no paradigms to shift and my goals are less lofty than someone who would attend seminary and invest years in a language.  I am loving every minute of it so far.  I am running through them at medium pace with no note taking to get a feel for the course and materials I might want to invest it...and because I just can't stand not knowing what's in them!  Smile  Then I plan to work through them again at much slower speed to get all I can from each lesson before moving on.

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 12:01 PM

Terry, I think your point is well made and you have the right attitude toward this series. As someone with no formal original language training I find myself in a situation similar to Kay. I have no paradigm's to shift. Many with formal training have commented on the value of this series and those of us without that background are just soaking it all in. In the few days I have had the DVD's I am already looking at the text with a different perspective.

I still desire to engage in formal language training someday; but many thanks to Logos for this resource.

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 2:18 PM

Terry Poperszky:
For those of us that have had formal training in one of the original languages, I believe we are going to have to undergo a fundamental paradigm shift when viewing these videos.

Good insight, Terry. Yes

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 8:19 PM

I've started going through the Greek videos and plan on doing it the same way as Kay. View the videos and then go back and study through them. I have no formal language training and don't have the time or resources for it now. I still have to prepare bible studies and sermons and always wanted to be able to dig into the original languages to better understand the text and the context of what was said. 

There are many of us out there without formal language training that will benefit greatly from these videos and will gain a better understanding of the scriptures. I really don't want to spend several years learning Hebrew and Greek, but I do want to be able to search the original languages to understand the words and context in which it was written.

My desire is really to understand enough about the original languages enough to help me teach others how to apply the bible to their lives and gain a better understanding of the Word.

God bless

Stephen

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 8:40 PM

Terry Poperszky:

For those of us that have had formal training in one of the original languages, I believe we are going to have to undergo a fundamental paradigm shift when viewing these videos. One of the two authors made the comment that these series were not meant to turn you into translators. This difference in goal, leads to a very different teaching style than I went through when learning Greek, and it immediately colored my view of the worth of the videos. As I looked through the Greek content, I kept looking for the vocabularies, the memorization lists and was disappointed when I didn't find them. Learning a language in my mind is synonymous with carrying rings of flash cards, memorization, writing the different verb forms over and over and over again.

This is different, and if you compare the two methodologies, you will be disappointed. On the other hand, the intensity of my Greek classes has always been a barrier to my learning Hebrew. So I started with the Hebrew set, and Dr. Heiser's (Mike) videos are allowing me to pull content from Hebrew scriptures using Logos tools in a relatively short time. I can't read or write Hebrew. Heck, I haven't even memorized the alphabet yet, but it is useful NOW!

In the same way, Johnny's videos will make my understanding of Greek even more useful as he refreshes some basic concepts that I haven't looked at in a while and tools to make exegesis less painful.

So approach this tool for it's stated goal, and let go of the past. Big Smile

You got it Terry!  I was taught under the old school paradigm. And I also believe my Greek instruction has hampered my Hebrew attempts. I look forward to using the tools in Logos to study the underlying meaning. I doubt I ever rise to scholarly proficiency in either language. I did not expect this resource to TEACH the languages, just the study tools.

If you don't have to unlearn something to relearn it, the process goes a lot faster. My Greek instruction was 32 years ago. I've probably forgotten half the original paradigm anyway.Stick out tongue

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 9:02 PM

lostlogik:

Oh yeah! Much better than memorizing verb paradigms! Smile

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 25 2010 10:37 PM

Rosie Perera:

lostlogik:

Oh yeah! Much better than memorizing verb paradigms! Smile

Most definitely. Never liked those, though tend to contrast those with syntagms. ;)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS