This post has 39 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1125
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 18 2020 12:29 PM

The sales keep coming!

https://www.logos.com/thomas-nelson-sale

Posts 9158
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 3:12 PM

Anyone think that there are any "must-haves" in this sale?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10638
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 3:31 PM

Well, it's an opportunity to (yet again) ask Jerome, where oh where oh where is the Ultimate Treasury??? Smiling.

https://www.logos.com/product/1214/the-new-treasury-of-scripture-knowledge 

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 9128
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 4:31 PM

Bruce Dunning:

None. For the price, the New Illustrated Bible Dictionary actually has some good content so if you don't have it might be worth picking up. I have quite a few of the others being offered and don't find myself using them.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6882
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 4:50 PM

Denise:

Well, it's an opportunity to (yet again) ask Jerome, where oh where oh where is the Ultimate Treasury??? Smiling.

I think an ultimate version would be pushing it.  I wouldn't mind having it, but honestly, there are a lot of "crossed references" from a verse, that don't really match or have anything to do with what the verse you're studying is saying.  Some do connect fine, but others you're left wondering how does this verse relate to this other one?

I guess is not about just connecting verses that relate to each other.  I may be misunderstanding the actual purpose of the TSK.

DAL

Posts 6882
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 5:03 PM

Bruce Dunning:

The "systematic theologies" were more expensive on a sale that took place towards the end of last year, so if you didn't get them, $7.99 is a way much better price.  Here are some that are in my shopping cart right now.  I like practicality, so I guess that's why I chose them.

1.  Understanding Christian Theology by Swindoll and Zuck would be a nice addition.  It's very practical for devotional studies and or small groups or sunday school for new converts.

2.  A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith.

3.  A Theological Wordbook has some practical insights on "theological words."

4.  Christian Counseling.

5.  The Glorious Journey has brief practical insights on different topics (e.g. suicide, abortion, etc.).  More of a devotional reading.

6.  The Moral Dilemmas has topical studies in a more elaborate way.

AND 7.  Evangelism: How to Share the Gospel Faithfully by MacArthur.  There's a great simple yet powerful refutation on the sinner's prayer included.  That alone is worth sparing some change!

Not the most in depth, even for the systematic theologies, but practical.

DAL

Posts 10638
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 5:27 PM

DAL:
I may be misunderstanding the actual purpose of the TSK.

As I understand him (Jerome), he's gone well beyond the old center column idea of common ideas/meaning, which progressively become 'huh?'. In many ways, 'Ultimate' looks more like a tailored Logos classing. A good parallel to the functionality is the old Masorah, which remain quite useful.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 6882
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 5:32 PM

Denise:

DAL:
I may be misunderstanding the actual purpose of the TSK.

As I understand him (Jerome), he's gone well beyond the old center column idea of common ideas/meaning, which progressively become 'huh?'. In many ways, 'Ultimate' looks more like a tailored Logos classing. A good parallel to the functionality is the old Masorah, which remain quite useful.

Well, then I hope we can get it in Logos some day!

DAL

Posts 1865
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2020 9:27 PM

Would this book appear under the illustration guide tab?

Swindoll's Ultimate Book of Illustrations and Quotes

Asking if anyone here have seen it. Thanks!

Posts 755
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 2:14 AM

Yes, it's in the third group: Handbooks, Guides, and Introductions

Third row, second from the left. Your link is it.

Posts 1125
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 5:28 AM

Any views on this book?

https://www.logos.com/product/2248/church-history-in-plain-language

I note it's edition 2 and that there have been 2 further updated editions - but not available in Logos.

Posts 6882
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 7:17 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Any views on this book?

https://www.logos.com/product/2248/church-history-in-plain-language

I note it's edition 2 and that there have been 2 further updated editions - but not available in Logos.

Nah, I already have this one: https://www.logos.com/product/180419/introduction-to-the-history-of-christianity-with-cd-rom

and others too.

DAL

Posts 3537
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 7:25 AM

I have never owned it before but the Revelation 4 views one looks like a grabber.  I've heard it recommended before and it would be nice to have if I ever go through revelation again as it goes through the major 4 views and how they differ (I believe). 

Believers Bible Commentary is a good one and Understanding Christian Theology is a cheap add to your Systematic Theology dataset results :)

Posts 1125
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 7:34 AM

Mattillo:

I have never owned it before but the Revelation 4 views one looks like a grabber.  I've heard it recommended before and it would be nice to have if I ever go through revelation again as it goes through the major 4 views and how they differ (I believe). 

Believers Bible Commentary is a good one and Understanding Christian Theology is a cheap add to your Systematic Theology dataset results :)

Agree. My only reservation with the Revelation volume is that it has been updated significantly. These are the differences that the author himself highlights:

Therefore, immediately after the publication of the first edition of Revelation: Four Views I began to see imperfections that I wished I could have avoided.  It was on the occasion of the publisher’s request to publish an updated and expanded version that I was invited to make alterations to the original.  The primary changes in this edition are as follows:

1) The viewpoint that appears in the fourth column of the main body of the work is rightly called the Idealist.  I was aware of this, when writing in 1997, but I did not find many authors referring to their view by this name, even when it was their view.  I assumed that they may not have preferred this label for their position, and I sought for an alternative name from their writings.  Though authors taking this position floated a variety of possible labels (e.g., the philosophy of history view), there was none among them of which all seemed to approve.  At that time, I decided to create a generic name for the viewpoint, and I settled upon the label spiritual.  The ink was no sooner dry on the first copies of the book than I regretted the decision.  Idealist is clearly the most widely recognized name for this view, and it is so named in this edition.

2) The first edition sported unused white space on many of its pages, owing to the fact that I could not find an equal amount of material for all four views in many cases, and the four-column format meant that when the treatment of one or two views extended considerably beyond that for the other, there often would be white space in the columns to which the commentary on the other approaches did not extend.  In preparing this second edition, I have found more authorities than were available to me in 1997 from which to quote.

3) Which I wrote Revelation: Four Views, I was not aware of Richard Bauckham’s book, The Theology of the Book of Revelation, which had been published four years earlier.  Also, in the years since 1997, a major commentary on Revelation by G.K. Beale has appeared.  The importance of these two scholars in the modern evangelical world renders it essential that their work be included in a study such as this.

Apart from these few things, the second edition is very much like the first.  I have been very encouraged by the many positive reviews the first edition received and am grateful to Thomas Nelson that a second edition in paperback was deemed a worthwhile project.  It gave me another opportunity to delve into the fascinating exploration in which I continue to revel.  I wish you equal revelry in your own exploration

Posts 198
Daniel Radke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 10:58 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Anybody know when these sales end?

eChristianResources.com - Connecting Christians With Quality Evangelical Resources Available For FREE On The Internet (including links to free Logos/Vyrso resources!)

Posts 938
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:03 PM

Daniel Radke:

Paul Caneparo:

Anybody know when these sales end?

This particular one ends on Feb 29th according to a post on the Logos blog. Which you can't actually read because the blog URL is currently not resolving Sad

Posts 149
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 6:15 PM

DAL:

Denise:

I think an ultimate version would be pushing it.  I wouldn't mind having it, but honestly, there are a lot of "crossed references" from a verse, that don't really match or have anything to do with what the verse you're studying is saying.  Some do connect fine, but others you're left wondering how does this verse relate to this other one?

I guess is not about just connecting verses that relate to each other.  I may be misunderstanding the actual purpose of the TSK.

DAL

Dear Denise and DAL,

Thank you for mentioning my book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. I would highly recommend getting this resource for your Logos library if you do not have it yet. The price during this limited-time special sale is likely the best you will ever see.

As I have mentioned before, I have produced, after many more years of careful study, two more works of a similar nature: Nelson's Cross Reference Guide to the Bible in 2007 (in book form, now out of print) and The Ultimate Cross Reference Treasury in 2016 (in digital format only, with over 900,000 cross references, at present available only for the e-Sword platform).

I have discussed at some length in my introductory front-matter to the NTSK the issue DAL mentioned about the relevance of some of the cross references given. In short, I have found that when all the references are consulted, the relevance becomes clear. When it doesn't, looking up the references at the supposedly unclear reference itself generally makes the connection clear once I look them up, and I learned something new in the process of digging deeper into Bible study.

Posts 2482
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2020 3:38 AM

Bruce Dunning:

McDowell's Evidence for Christianity (for those who have missed the Josh McDowell Treasury sale last year).

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1125
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2020 4:40 AM

Jan Krohn:

Bruce Dunning:

McDowell's Evidence for Christianity (for those who have missed the Josh McDowell Treasury sale last year).

I picked this book up, but returned it as it's effectively a condensed version of Evidence That Demands a Verdict. Well worth getting if you don't already have the latter, although the latter seems to be on sale fairly regularly for $4.99 -  only if you live in the USA though now.

Posts 2482
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2020 4:50 AM

Paul Caneparo:
I picked this book up, but returned it as it's effectively a condensed version of Evidence That Demands a Verdict. Well worth getting if you don't already have the latter, although the latter seems to be on sale fairly regularly for $4.99 -  only if you live in the USA though now.

It is indeed, but as a reference volume, I like the Logos integration.

What really needs to go on sale for $4.99 is this one:

https://www.logos.com/product/180152/new-evidence-that-demands-a-verdict

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS