SUGGESTION: 'Product Details' Should Show All Details

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1735
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 19 2020 4:01 AM

I think it would be most helpful if the Product Details section for any Logos resource shows all details.

For example, I have seen a number of details sections lacking either Resource Type or Number of Pages. These two, in particular, are always of interest to me. Scholars and other academic users probably have their own set of vital metadata. The Feb 19, 2020 home page daily deal doesn't tell us whether or not it's a Bible Commentary. Nor does the The Scriptures 2009 Edition pre-pub tell us if it's a Bible resource type. Maybe I could assume those things, or Search / Browse and do several steps of the metadata filter dance to find out, but I'm not going to.

I have also seen a number of occasions where the Number of Pages is missing. I don't have an example right now. This is important to avoid purchasing a booklet, when one is expecting a book If the resource doesn't have page numbers, then a note "No Pagination" is necessary.

I know there's a thread for specific product detail flubs, but this is a general whine. And please let me know if I'm missing some super-easy workaround.

Maybe the marketeers consider too many details to be a snooze point.

Posts 10624
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 19 2020 6:05 AM

Robert M. Warren:
details to be a snooze point.

Closer to a sloppy point. Once sloppy is introduced, sloppy is expensive to fix. Always best to get it right the first time.

Page count on digitals is a different problem. I use page count to buy/dont-buy, because editors are so predictable. Excuses that 'oh, we don't do that' is easy enough ... I don't either (buy). As a minimum they could put page equiv's. Not that complicated,

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1735
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2020 3:28 AM

Interesting. I had not considered error-avoidance as a motive for skimpy details. I have no experience in web design or e-business, so I'm probably simple-minded about that, but I assumed Faithlife has a relational database of metadata that is shared between L8's functionality and their template for product pages. The Product Details would then result from decisions on what, and what not, to show. This wouldn't eliminate errors, but existing owners of the resources could (and do) point out the errors in the actual resources.

I should have also noted that some product pages do have a fair amount of detail.

Posts 10624
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2020 5:55 AM

Re-reading my comment, I was agreeing with you. Hope I didn't confuse. My guess is the marketing person gets the contract go-ahead, with publisher available data. Then they wing it on Logos data fields (evangelical is not-something-else), and skip whatever the publisher didn't provide. A shrug, and on to the next one.  Work is work

My comments presume the marketing page precedes L8 downloaded data (often waiting on the software update cycle)..

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS