Paul and Stoics by Troels Engberg-Pedersen

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 6
John Chen | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:23 PM

Paul and Stoics by Troels Engberg-Pedersen is an important book in Pauline scholarship. I'd love to see it in Logos.

Posts 10625
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:21 PM

What's your take on:

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmology-Self-Apostle-Paul-Material-ebook/dp/B005RBU8ZE 

vs the earlier volume you recommend? 

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 6
John Chen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:32 PM

I have read only one chapter of this sequel so cannot comment yet. Will finish reading it in the coming month. What do you think?

Posts 136
LogosEmployee
Mike Hanes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2020 2:21 PM

John Chen:

Paul and Stoics by Troels Engberg-Pedersen is an important book in Pauline scholarship. I'd love to see it in Logos.

Thanks for the suggestion John, I will look into getting this for Logos.

Posts 6
John Chen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2020 2:49 PM

That's wonderful! Thank you, Mike!

Posts 10625
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2020 3:47 PM

John Chen:

I have read only one chapter of this sequel so cannot comment yet. Will finish reading it in the coming month. What do you think?

Well, to be brutally honest (smiling), I'm reluctant to assign 'looks like XX' to anything, since soon, XX is the conversation (labeling), not the original statements. But perspective is a real challenge. If you thought Paul had XX perspective, would it even matter, if his readers/listeners had YY perspective (and presumably didn't land in eternal jail)?

That said, I don't get too excited about Platonic or Stoic or 'jewish' (each having a wide variation). But I do spend terrible amounts of time looking at how a meaning can quickly shift on very little lexical change. And thence, why one choice over another? So, the Cosmology volume as an expansion appears attractive.

I hope you'll return with your thoughts next month.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS