"Why We Should Read Theologians with Whom We Disagree"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3407
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 23 2020 12:18 PM

https://blog.logos.com/2020/02/why-we-should-read-theologians-with-whom-we-disagree misses a really obvious reason: all the theologians down through the centuries who are generally recognized as great theologians, at least within their own traditions, read other theologians with whom they disagreed.

Posts 10646
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 23 2020 1:18 PM

Or not. That's not a good logical connector.

When did 'theologians' show up? I just wondered, having grown up in a tradition that doesn't recognize them. My impression is they're associated with doctrines/traditions, ergo tribal as the blog-ess starts off.  I prefer scribes I don't like.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 401
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2020 3:15 PM

I figure it’s good to be informed on what others hold in order to avoid bear false witness against them. Sometimes I will notic, “they’re not so far off from us.” Other times, I’ll have to say, “no, that’s error.”

Since I am appalled when others misrepresent what my Church teaches, The Golden Rule requires I don’t misrepresent others.

But I won’t name names, to avoid causing any denominational fights here.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM || iPad Mini 4

Platinum: Verbum. || Gold: Eastern Rite, Orthodox. || Bronze: Ordinariate. Lutheran. || Starter: Anglican, Baptist, Messianic Jewish, Methodist, Pentecostal, Reformed, SDA, Standard

Posts 3407
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2020 4:01 PM

David Wanat:
Since I am appalled when others misrepresent what my Church teaches, The Golden Rule requires I don’t misrepresent others.

My habitual goal is to be able to articulate and explain my intellectual opponents' beliefs well enough that they themselves agree with everything that I say that they hold and why. Only then am I properly prepared to respond to their position(s). This, of course, requires attending to what they have to say, whether in written or spoken form.

Posts 2169
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2020 5:49 PM

SineNomine:

David Wanat:

My habitual goal is to be able to articulate and explain my intellectual opponents' beliefs well enough that they themselves agree with everything that I say that they hold and why. Only then am I properly prepared to respond to their position(s). This, of course, requires attending to what they have to say, whether in written or spoken form.

That works really well in marriage and about everywhere else in life too. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS