New User Commentary Recommendations

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1513
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2020 7:57 PM

I've seen many great suggestions, especially the UBS Handbooks.

I haven't seen any love for the Socio-Rhetorical Commentary series or the Word Biblical Commentary series though. Both of these are fantastic. I have also appreciated some of the more liberal leaning commentaries, like Anchor Yale Bible, Hermeneia, and Interpretation. It is important to have commentaries from all perspectives.

Posts 7516
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 16 2020 8:09 PM

Josh:

I've seen many great suggestions, especially the UBS Handbooks.

I haven't seen any love for the Socio-Rhetorical Commentary series or the Word Biblical Commentary series though. Both of these are fantastic. I have also appreciated some of the more liberal leaning commentaries, like Anchor Yale Bible, Hermeneia, and Interpretation. It is important to have commentaries from all perspectives.

The OP stated he’s got zero original language training.  WBC might be too technical for him.  I will say this, though, my OL training is basic (1 semester Greek & Zero Hebrew), but I still benefit a lot from it.  Socio-rhetorical is a great choice too 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 1357
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 20 2020 8:53 PM

There have been several very good suggestions. Many are on sale through 3/31 in the March Matchups.

I really like the Pillar NT Commentary.

The NIV Application Commentary combines a good study of the meaning of the original text and a practical application. Some volumes do a better job than others.

Newbies tend to focus on commentaries. I encourage any serious Bible student to add 2 or more good Bible dicitonaries.

My favorite (and highly recommended by many) is the unique 8 volume IVP Bible Dictionary. Each volume is a dictionary focused on only 1 part of the Bible (like the Gospels and Acts). It's on sale.

I also like the very practical NIV Encyclopedia of Bible Words by Larry Richards.  

Posts 3474
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 21 2020 8:29 AM

I second the Bryan Chapell resource. Showed me how to lift Christ up in my messages. YesYes

mm.

DAL:

New Interpreter’s Bible has what you need.  12 volumes in one Logos resource: https://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible reflections at the end of each section.

Christ-centered preaching (Best in the business): https://www.logos.com/product/175196/christ-centered-preaching-redeeming-the-expository-sermon-third-edition will get you geared up for sermon prep and delivery.

After that a base package bronze or silver standard.  There will be a lot of resources you think you are probably not going to use but they will be there and prove to be helpful when you least expect it.

And when you can and if you want get NICOT/NT series.  Helps with everything even if you don’t have formal training.

Finally, lots of sermon outlines and sermon archives! You can always tweak them and they are life and time savers when you have a busy week! 👍😁👌

DAL

PS. Wait for a good sale on the NICOT/NT

mm.

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS