FROZEN: when I closed a tab. (8.12 Beta 4 Windows 10)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 793
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 4 2020 8:56 PM

Logos froze up when I closed a tab.  Happened 3 times in a row.  Each time I had to "end task" from the Task Manger to close the app - could not close any other way.

Hope the logs show what happened, because I was not able to find a pattern other than it froze up when I tried a few different things trying to isolate the problem.

4456.Crash Closing Tab.zip

Posts 2940
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2020 1:03 PM

Tim,

Do you happen to remember what tabs and resources you had open and what you were trying to close?

Posts 793
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2020 6:17 PM

No, Sorry.  I thought that info would be in the logs. 

Some that I remember:

LLS:29.67.8
2014-10-04T11:58:41Z
UBSHBK83.logos4

===

LLS:1.0.710
2019-04-30T20:46:24Z
ESV.logos4
RVI:ESVNT
2019-04-30T20:23:23Z
ESVNT.lbsrvi
RVI:ESVOT
2019-04-30T20:23:23Z
ESVOT.lbsrvi

===

Tools:

• Text Comparison
  • Information
  • Notes

And about 3 more resources or tools.

I'll try to reproduce the problem this weekend and pass along that and any other information that might be helpful.  

Posts 793
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2020 6:49 PM

Logos just locked up again.  I copied the purpose statement with its bullet points from https://conservativebaptistnetwork.com/ and pasted it into a note; Logos immediately froze.  A few minutes later, as I was writing this post, Logos closed by itself.

Panels Open (in three columns, with resources in the following order from left to right):

• A Handbook on the First Letter of John (with Good News Translation and NET Bible as Multiple Resources Display)
  • My Study Version (a PB Bible I create for my personal study and teaching) with ESV Bible as Multiple Resources Display
  • A Custom workflow
  • NLT Bible
  • ESV Bible
  • Information tool
  • Two note panels (including the one I pasted to)

Attached below:

• Image of layout just after it froze, including the text I pasted on the right side.
  • Log files.

5852.Logos - 5.zip

PS

I opened Logos and only had the Notes tool open and was able to successfully past the same information without it freezing up - I was able to scroll the note.

As soon as I finished adding and posting the above sentence, I went back to Logos and it was frozen!  I was not able to close the app, but had to use End Task in the Task Manager.

Note also, the text I pasted into the note was NOT saved in the note either time.

Fresh logs attached for latest scenario: (only one log available)

3324.Logos - 6.zip

Posts 793
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2020 8:05 PM

The plot thickens...

• After the above episode, I shutdown the computer, then rebooted.
  • Before launching Logos, I launched the Task manager
  • Under the Details tab I found two "Logos" processes that were suspended!
  • I tried to end the processes, but got a "Unable to terminate process; The operation could not be completed; Access is denied" message (see image below)
  • I also tried to end the processes from the Resource Monitor and got the same results.
  • I then ran Task Manger as administrator and got the same results.

Looks like these processes are left over from my previous use of Logos

• Interesting that they survived a complete shutdown and reboot
  • Maybe they are a contributing factor in my freezing problem?
  • How can I kill these processes?

I did one last test (for tonight)...

• Launched Logos
  • Opened the Notes Tool
  • Copied the same information from the website and then pasted it as plain text and had the same results - Logos froze.
  • Launched Task Manger and under Details had the following logos entries (includes my to sticky processes, #71192 and 75496)

I was able to kill the three Logos.exe processes in Task Manager, and the LogosCEF process then ended with them, but I still could not kill the sticky/suspended processes.

Posts 793
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2020 5:23 AM

NEXT

• I booted the computer into Safe Mode, ran Task Manager and under the Details tab saw that the two sticky/suspended files were gone.
  • Proceeded with the next test:
  • Rebooted computer into normal mode
  • I copied the same text from the website and pasted it into Notepad (in an attempt to get a clean text)
  • I copied the text from Notepad and pasted it into the Logos note and Logos froze for a few seconds and then closed.

CAUSE FOUND

• I looked at the text in Notepad and saw two small squares that usually represent unprintable characters (I didn't think they would have survived in Notepad)
  • I looked at the text in the website and saw the same two squares in the last bullet point of the Purpose statement.
  • I carefully copied the text from Notepad, skipping the squares, and pasted it into the Logos note - NO PROBLEMS.

The freezing/crashing problem was caused by the unprintable characters in the source text.

Such characters may not be compatible/printable in Logos, but they shouldn't cause Logos to freeze or crash.

I hope a fix can be made so such characters can be filtered out or neutralized, preventing this problem in the future.

Thank you for your help to solve this problem.

Posts 10391
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 6 2020 6:31 AM

I can confirm the crash - running latest beta on Win 10 as well. Pasting the Purpose statement text from that website into a new note will close Logos immediately for me - no freeze.

8.12 Beta 4 (8.12.0.0014), Windows Version: 10.0.18362.0, .NET Framework Version: 4.0.30319.42000

Error ID: 3438
Error detail: ServiceException: 'content' is invalid: Exception thrown while validating rich text. Message: '', hexadecimal value 0x03, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 2519.

ServiceException: 'content' is invalid: Exception thrown while validating rich text. Message: '', hexadecimal value 0x03, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 2519. (InvalidRequest)
at Facility.Core.ServiceResult.Verify()
at LDLS4.Panels.NotesTool.NotesToolViewModel.<EditNotes>d__89.MoveNext()

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2940
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 13 2020 1:36 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the additional information, I can reproduce the crash 8.12 and an earlier version. I've written up a case.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS