TIP: Pop-ups in Library View

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 26 2010 10:01 AM

TIP:

For those of you who have been annoyed by the incessant pop-ups that appear when browsing through your books in the Library view, I stumbled across a sort of solution that seems to work for me.

In the Library view, at the top, there is a Resource Information button. 

If you click that button it opens an Information pane on the right hand side of your Library view - and (here's the solution) you will no longer get those annoying pop-ups if you use this Information pane.

Yes, you loose a little room on the right hand side of your Library view, but the pop-ups stop when the Information pane is visible.

A pretty good workaround, IMHO.  And remember that you can re-size your Library view if need be.

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Posts 856
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 11:03 AM

I really, really dislike the incessant pop-ups, not only in the library, but in nearly every other place in Logos. I realize that some people like it, but please, at least give us a preference to turn that off. It just gets in the way and gets aggravating.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 11:58 AM

Michael:
give us a preference to turn that off

I will second (and if possible third, fourth,....,millionth) this request.  YesYes

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 12:25 PM

Stein Dahl:

the pop-ups stop when the Information pane is visible.

No they don't. They still come up when you hover long enough over an item that is truncated. Just don't do that (keep your mouse pointer moving quickly enough or don't come to rest over a truncated item) and they won't come up. Or make your columns wide enough that nothing is truncated (but then you won't be able to fit many columns on the screen).

I personally don't find this annoying. I like to fit lots of columns on the screen, so I have them fairly scrunched up, but sometimes for long titles, if I can't see the entire title, I want to see the rest of it by hovering over it.

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
They still come up when you hover long enough over an item that is truncated.
Hi Rosie,

How long is long enough?  I had my mouse cursor on a truncated item for over a minute (with the Information pane showing) and it never brought up a pop-up.

So, if it's a long period of time that works for me 'cause I don't want to see all those pop-ups.  Besides, if I need information on a particular book I can just click on the line its on and the Information pane shows me what I want to know about that book.

I think it's pretty cool that the program can be configured to fit different peoples basic wants.  I think it would be awesome if there was a Wiki page that was dedicated to workarounds for getting Logos 4 to work the way you want it to.

Posts 5
Peggy McAulay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:41 PM

Thank you and yes they were annoying. Problem now solved  Thanks   Smile

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 1:45 PM

Rosie Perera:
They still come up when you hover long enough over an item that is truncated.
Hi again Rosie,

I think I see what you mean now.  Those small white pop-ups that show you the name of a truncated item are not the pop-ups I was thinking of.  Those little white ones are not annoying at all. 

The ones I'm talking about - are when you have your Library in "list" view and the Information pane is off.  When your Library is configured this way you get tons of pop-ups (with picture and all), describing the book, that are very annoying. 

Those are the ones that I don't want to see.

So you are correct about the little white pop-ups, just not the annoying ones - if you follow.

Posts 1473
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 3:17 PM

Please don't remove those info pop-ups.  Just increase the time delay before they show up.  Thanks.

Peter

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 3:38 PM

PeterLi:

Please don't remove those info pop-ups.  Just increase the time delay before they show up.  Thanks.

Peter

Hi Peter,

No one is talking about removing them - only a way (an option) to turn them off for people who don't want or need them.

And that is what we have effectively found; by turning on the Information pane in the Library view, the pop-ups don't appear.  So it's just a setting that the user controls.

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:00 PM

Stein Dahl:

I think it would be awesome if there was a Wiki page that was dedicated to workarounds for getting Logos 4 to work the way you want it to.

There are lots of wiki pages that will help you find ways to get Logos 4 to work the way you want it to. The problem with having a single dedicated page for "workarounds for getting Logos 4 to work the way you want it to" is that there are hundreds of different ways that people want Logos to work that they aren't able to do. Some people might consider some of these "workarounds" but in most cases it's just learning how Logos was meant to work. I'm willing to bet that most of the time you learn new tricks like this from the forum, you weren't even looking for a solution -- you just stumbled upon something new and said to yourself "Great! I'll add that to my bag of tricks!" (I'm paraphrasing)  If you were looking for a particular workaround, there are also probably a dozen different ways of describing it, and a wiki author might not describe it in the way you're thinking of it. There'd be about as much chance of finding those nuggets you're looking for on a single page dedicated to tons of such things as there would be by just poking around in the existing structure of the wiki and learning new stuff by serendipity. I submit that it's better not to do what you're suggesting, as there would end up being even more redundancy on the wiki than there already is and it would be harder to keep up-to-date if something in the UI changed, as there would be two or three places it might have been mentioned. Not meaning to shoot down your suggestion, as I know this kind of response can often come across that way and discourage people. I'm just trying to encourage you to poke around at what's already on the wiki -- as there is tons of great stuff to learn!

Stein Dahl:

I think I see what you mean now.  Those small white pop-ups that show you the name of a truncated item are not the pop-ups I was thinking of.  Those little white ones are not annoying at all. 

The ones I'm talking about - are when you have your Library in "list" view and the Information pane is off.  When your Library is configured this way you get tons of pop-ups (with picture and all), describing the book, that are very annoying. 

Ah, I see what you mean now. I almost never run the Library in List view (always grid view) so I'd forgotten all about those, and indeed you've found a good solution. When you're in List view, there's so much horizontal space that you can afford to have the info panel up all the time (except when you're working on your Prioritize list), and I probably would, if I were using the List view a lot.

Cheers, and thanks for the helpful tip!

Posts 270
Stein Dahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 4:24 PM

Rosie Perera:
There are lots of wiki pages that will help you find ways to get Logos 4 to work the way you want it to. The problem with having a single dedicated page for "workarounds for getting Logos 4 to work the way you want it to" is that there are hundreds of different ways that people want Logos to work that they aren't able to do. Some people might consider some of these "workarounds" but in most cases it's just learning how Logos was meant to work.
Maybe you're right about that.  I just thought it would be neat to be able to go to one single page and have listed there all the neat hints and tips and workarounds people have come up with to get Logos 4 to work the way they want it to - without having to search for things in the forum and the Wiki. 

Maybe that list could just be comprised of links to where these tips and workarounds already reside, not actually moving or copying them from where they are.  That would be redundant.

And maybe that list could be added to the bottom of the Hints and Tips page in the Wiki.  That's all I was talking about.

Edit:  I guess that process is already started with the Tips from the Forum page.  I didn't see that.  Is there a way to add things to the list?  Or is this only something Logos employees have access to?

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 26 2010 7:17 PM

Stein Dahl:

Edit:  I guess that process is already started with the Tips from the Forum page.  I didn't see that.  Is there a way to add things to the list?  Or is this only something Logos employees have access to?

Yes, anybody can edit the wiki if they've got something to contribute. For a quick intro to wiki formatting (including how to make links), read http://wiki.logos.com/Basic_Wiki_Formatting, but you can probably figure out how to add links by looking at the surrounding links in the existing page. Click Edit in the upper right of any wiki page to get into edit mode, and click Save when you're done making changes. It's probably also a good idea to click Preview before Save, in order to review your changes as they'll look once you save.

To get the correct URL to paste in to link to the top of a Forum thread, click the rightmost link in the chain of links up at the top of the thread, the one that repeats the subject line of the thread (e.g., on this thread, where it says Home > Logos 4 > TIP: Pop-ups in Library View, you'd click on that last part). This will give you a link with a /t/ in the middle of it, as opposed to a link with a /p/ in the middle of it which is merely a link to one of the posts in that thread.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS