Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 758
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:07 AM

Following the instructions in the video, I went to Psalm 34:1 (ESV and NASB), right-clicked on "bless", chose Lemma on the right and then Bible Word Study on the left.  I went to the Grammatical Relationships section and did not find an entry for the target word (in the Hebrew text the word is in verse 2).

I did the same thing with the word "magnify" in verse 3 and had the same results - no entry in Grammatical Relationships.

Am I doing something wrong?  Am I looking for something not supported by this function?  Is there a problem with the resource tags or the Grammatical Relationships function?

Posts 22006
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 5:32 AM

I note that "boast" in verse 2 and "heard" in verse 6 both give the expected results.

In both of these cases there is an actual subject in the text, whereas in the case of "bless" and "magnify" there is not.

Whether this is at all relevant is a totally different matter!

Graham

Posts 758
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 29 2010 7:46 AM

I should point out that the setting I used for Grammatical Relationships when I received no results was "By Related Word."  When I switch the setting to "verses" my target word "bless" shows up under the heading "Predicator  246 Results" with the verse reference Psalm 34:1.   I'm expecting the two settings would provide the same results, changing only the format of the report. 

I also noticed when the report is in the "verses" setting, the verses are not in strict Bible reference order, making me wonder if there are subdivisions not labeled in the report, or the report is not sorting properly.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 1 2010 10:33 AM

I'm having no problems with the Grammatical Relationship section regardless of which setting it is on; could it be an indexing problem?

The verse order is in the order of the Hebrew bibles rather than English bible order since all this data comes from AFAT (I think)

Posts 758
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 12:55 PM

Thank you Jon - I don't work in the Hebrew Bible very often and forgot that book order is different than in English Bibles.

Per chance did you try Psalm 34:1 (ESV and NASB), right-clicked on "bless", choose Lemma on the right, Bible Word Study on the left and then check the Grammatical Relationships set to "By Related Word"?  That's where I can't find my target word.  My system went through a significant index after downloading this week's resource download and I still have the same problem.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 1:56 PM

I updated to 4.0d and it indexed right afterwards. Then the next day received a 2gig download which caused indexing again. (just to let you know my machines state)

seems to work on my machine if i followed your directions.

Right click on bless, then select lemma and Bible word study.

Edit: could not find it under any of the sentence parts (e.g. subject, object)

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 758
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 6:33 PM

Thank you Graham, Jon and Steve.  I put this out on the PC Beta forum to see what we learn there: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/19178.aspx.

Posts 26846
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:21 PM

Do you find it in verse mode?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:11 AM

Very interesting! i didn't know that was there. Thanks

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 758
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 3 2010 1:12 PM

MJ. Smith:
Do you find it in verse mode?

Yes, I do see it in verse mode, but not in "By Related Word" mode.  Made me wonder if there is a bug, that's why I posted it to the PC Beta forum to at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/19178.aspx.  I had the problem in 4.0d Beta-4 and RC-1.  I'll check it again when 4.0e is released for beta.

Posts 1
Steven Luethy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2011 9:57 AM

Tim, is your problem in the meantime solved?

How do I find the origin verse (for example Psalm 34.1) simply and fast in the search results of the grammatical relationships? Is there an option to indicate the origin verse equal with the appropriate category?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS