Issues with Fuzzy Bible Search

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 220
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 7:06 AM

Here is another example of Fuzzy Search not finding a result in what should be a fairly strait forward association. The search = "no man knows the day". 

Posts 99
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 7:09 AM

In this example, your search is limited to the KJV. What happens if you do the same search with more versions?

Posts 22851
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 7:30 AM

MWW:
Here is another example of Fuzzy Search not finding a result in what should be a fairly strait forward association. The search = "no man knows the day". 

Strange - on my system, there are results and the specific verse you are searching for, I think, is the fifth one down.

Were you online when running the search?

Posts 220
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 7:34 AM

Lee Gordon:
In this example, your search is limited to the KJV. What happens if you do the same search with more versions?

See below... If I scroll down near the bottom of the search I find what I am looking for... Fuzzy Search didn't work at all?

Posts 99
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 7:41 AM

MWW:

Lee Gordon:

See below... If I scroll down near the bottom of the search I find what I am looking for... Fuzzy Search didn't work at all?

My guess is the Logos Search feature operates in a more purely analytical way, while Google search results probably incorporate vast amounts of past user experience. That is, they know that's what you're looking for, because thousands of people have already searched for something similar, and ultimately clicked on this link.

Posts 22851
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 8:06 AM

MWW:
Fuzzy Search didn't work at all?

Your screenshot shows it is unavailable:

1. Were you online when running the search?
  2. What base package(s) do you have?
Posts 220
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 8:19 AM

Graham Criddle:

Your screenshot shows it is unavailable:

1. Were you online when running the search?
  2. What base package(s) do you have?

1. Yes I was online at the time. 

2. Base Packages = Standard Diamond, Baptist Diamond, P & C Platinum, AnglicanSilver, Lutheran Bronze, Messianic Silver, Methodist Silver, Reformed Bronze.

Posts 220
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 8:23 AM

I just ran the search again and my results were the same as Graham's. Perhaps a hiccup in the cyber universe?

Posts 809
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 10:14 AM

Lee Gordon:

<snip />

My guess is the Logos Search feature operates in a more purely analytical way, while Google search results probably incorporate vast amounts of past user experience. That is, they know that's what you're looking for, because thousands of people have already searched for something similar, and ultimately clicked on this link.

That's largely correct: much of the ranking is based on matching terms in the query against a large collection of Bibles. We hope to incorporate a metric for overall verse popularity, which would probably boost Matt 24:36 higher in the rank. Unfortunately we don't have the mountain of click-through data for Bible queries that Google has. 

Posts 809
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 21 2020 10:18 AM

Lee Gordon:

Currently Fuzzy Bible Search results aren't limited to the range or Bibles specified: results are shown in your preferred version, and only the results in Verses are filtered by range. We may add filtering by range in the future, but the fuzzy search approach assumes you're looking at a lot of Bibles, so that's not likely to change. 

Posts 99
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 2:47 PM

Sean Boisen:

(Forking a new thread from https://community.logos.com/forums/p/187018/1095333.aspx#1095333 and subsequent comments to focus the conversation on Fuzzy Bible Search and possible improvements)

Here's another one. I tried a search for "Eli's sons", to find the account where it says they were rebuked for misbehaving.

Google gave the exact reference to what I was looking for as the first result.

Here's Logos:

Posts 3706
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 4:31 PM

Lee Gordon:
Here's Logos:

Lee, your screenshot isn't showing fuzzy bible search results. It looks like you scrolled down past the fuzzy search section, so we can't tell what results were returned there, if anything.

Logos does give me the verse Google found as the first fuzzy result (on the desktop, as well as on iPadOS).

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 99
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 7:16 PM

PetahChristian:

Lee Gordon:
Here's Logos:

Lee, your screenshot isn't showing fuzzy bible search results. It looks like you scrolled down past the fuzzy search section, so we can't tell what results were returned there, if anything.

Logos does give me the verse Google found as the first fuzzy result (on the desktop, as well as on iPadOS).

Okay, yes. Thanks. My bad.

Posts 99
Lee Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2020 3:53 PM

Robert Kelbe:

I will preface this by saying that the Fuzzy Bible Search often works really well, and I am grateful for it!

Here is an example where I couldn't find it with the Fuzzy Bible Search, but when I searched in Google, it was the first result. I could have played around with the search parameters, but it was easier to just try Google.

Additionally, others have mentioned that it froze as they were trying to see all the results in Fuzzy Bible Search. I can confirm this... It seems like the scroll bar is missing, so once you click "More" so that the results go off the page you can no longer scroll to see the results. 

Has anyone done a bug report on this? 

Posts 8253
LogosEmployee

Lee Gordon:
Has anyone done a bug report on this? 

Yes; Sean acknowledged it here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/189992/1096330.aspx#1096330

Posts 876
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 3:24 AM

Sean Boisen:

If you have specific cases that don't work in Logos or work poorly, feel free to post them to this thread so we can triage them. 

Hi Sean,

Here is a concrete example of where fuzzy Bible search does not work well:

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/190569.aspx

Posts 876
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 3:26 AM

If I use Fuzzy Bible Search with the term 

jesus in us

I just get 1 Co 5:4 and Heb 13:20.

Google is more helpful here. But more information is available at the link mentioned in my post above.

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS