Feedback Wanted: Changing Author Display Names

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1293
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 15 2020 4:56 PM

Greetings Logos Users.

We need your feedback on this question: Would you find it valuable to have more consistent author names, even if there are some unwanted short-term side effects?

Over the years we have worked hard to standardize how author names appear in our library and on logos.com.

This works well for Logos Editions where we have the ability to control the metadata. It breaks down for Faithlife Ebooks.

For Faithlife Ebooks we use an automated system that pulls book information directly from publisher data. Because publishers don’t always follow the same conventions we use, this can lead to multiple display names for the same author. This makes searching for products and finding the author you want in your library harder.

We have an improvement ready to go that will solve this problem. Multiple display names for a single author will be a thing of the past. It will also solve the problem where some authors display as “First Last” and others as “Last, First”:

As excited as we are about this improvement, it would have two potentially unwelcomed side effects. And we wanted to give you a heads-up and hear your reaction to them.

1. Sort order in the Details view in the library

Our primary sort order in the details view in the library has been “Last, First”.

This will change.

The new primary sort order in the details view in the library will be “First Last”.

We will probably be able to change this in the future back to “Last, First,” but we didn’t want to hold up shipping these improvements unnecessarily.

In the meantime, you’ll still be able to use the find box or the author facet to filter down and find the author you’re looking for.

2. Collection rules

In this forum thread users have shared some of their collections. In some collections, they assume the author name following a “Last, First” format. There is a potential for some of these collections to be altered. We’ve run some tests internally, and it appears the changes will be minimal but they might occur.

We’re interested in getting your feedback. We’re leaning toward shipping these improvements with these two drawbacks, and addressing them later. But we want to make sure you’re aware and on board. Please let us know what you think. Your input will help us figure out the best way to move forward.

Posts 2977
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2020 5:18 PM

If it is the same author, Logos should be able to indicate that. I am very much on board for this. It would eliminate us needing to come up with fancy filters in our collection rules (or inadvertently missing/including works). 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1667
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2020 6:21 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:
Would you find it valuable to have more consistent author names, even if there are some unwanted short-term side effects?

Definitely.

Very happy to accept any side effects (e.g. not matching my collection rules) if this can become more consistent.

Thanks.

Posts 29660
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2020 6:31 PM

Definitely worth a bit of pain to get consistent author names.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1085
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2020 10:23 PM

Sounds fine to me although I much prefer last, first.

You know what else would be great? Including authors' articles in books and journals in the library (with toggle on and off ability).

Posts 2977
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 15 2020 10:53 PM

Tom Reynolds:

You know what else would be great? Including authors' articles in books and journals in the library (with toggle on and off ability).

Yes!!! Authors in journals

...And titles for books within works (and articles within journals with toggle) to be searchable from Library

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 221
James Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 2:25 AM

Tom Reynolds:

Very happy with the concept, although long term would prefer last, first

Thanks for continually tweaking Logos to make it better for users.

Posts 10899
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 2:54 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
We have an improvement ready to go that will solve this problem. Multiple display names for a single author will be a thing of the past.

Great!

Kyle G. Anderson:
We’re leaning toward shipping these improvements with these two drawbacks, and addressing them later. But we want to make sure you’re aware and on board. Please let us know what you think.

Go for it!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 18606
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 5:14 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
We need your feedback on this question: Would you find it valuable to have more consistent author names, even if there are some unwanted short-term side effects?

Yes. (can use author: filter with last name to reduce consolidated list to desired author subset, same as today)

Concur with new feature idea of Library showing author articles (journals & magazines) along with chapters (books).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9336
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 5:26 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:
Would you find it valuable to have more consistent author names, even if there are some unwanted short-term side effects?

Generally yes. This has been an annoyance to me for some time although I've never said anything about it. I would appreciate consistency here so long as those "short-term side effects" don't become long-term problems.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2084
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 7:28 AM

James Hudson:

Tom Reynolds:

Yes

Posts 28572
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 8:41 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

The new primary sort order in the details view in the library will be “First Last”.

We will probably be able to change this in the future back to “Last, First,” but we didn’t want to hold up shipping these improvements unnecessarily.

I guess I will be the odd one out. I don't think you should make the change until you can keep it "Last, First." The author's first name is often irrelevant. What if I remember the first letter(s) of the author's last name (which is a frequent occurrence) but not the (irrelevant) first name? Now, I simply scroll through my library looking for author's last name. I won't be able to do that with this change. 

I am strongly against this move. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11203
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 8:55 AM

JT (alabama24):
I am strongly against this move. 

Luckily, I'm relaxing on L7. Backwards names is something Logos would do at some point. But be smart enough to (a) not plan ahead, and (b) get a pre-mea-culpa in the pocket. This is where you get the popcorn out.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 74
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 8:58 AM

Request U not ship till Last First.

Like the old traditional phone books.

Posts 4007
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 12:16 PM

JT (alabama24):
I guess I will be the odd one out. I don't think you should make the change until you can keep it "Last, First."

I agree.

Posts 460
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 12:45 PM

I don't think it is a good move, just looking at my bookshelf, I can see half a dozen books where I know the authors surname, because it is always showing on the spine of the book, however I am not certain on the first names, and several authors I only know from their initials + surname.

Posts 1789
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 1:32 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

As much as I will love the consistency in naming, I don't think you should do anything until you can have the Last, First name convention. Having the first name first is just not going to work well for me.

Posts 3705
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 3:32 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

My vote would be to wait till you're really ready with "Last, First."

That also solves the problem with Collection rules.

Thank you for asking!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2617
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 4:02 AM

BillS:
My vote would be to wait till you're really ready with "Last, First."

Why is it called "first name" if everyone wants it last, and last name first... Hmm Big Smile

No, I'm just kidding... Please do wait until you're ready with "Last, First".

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2084
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 18 2020 5:28 AM

Randy W. Sims:

James Hudson:

Tom Reynolds:

Yes

After following along and reconsidering, I'd like to change my vote to No. Respectfully, Faithlife does have an unfortunate tendency to not finish what they start and I'd hate for that to happen here and leave it in intermediate state for ages. Please wait until it can be completed before rolling out the change.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS