The First Testament

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Apr 27 2020 7:54 AM

Any effort to bring this to Logos? I'd like to see it.

Here is a review for those not familiar with it.

The title reminds me of a pretty funny joke made the the late comedian Steven Wright. He said, "You know, the New Testament is really pretty old. I think they should call them the Old Testament and the Most Recent Testament." Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 10687
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 27 2020 8:33 AM

Doc B:

I think it will be combined with NT Wright's Kingdom New Testament into https://www.logos.com/product/168029 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 11:23 AM

NB.Mick:
I think it will be combined with NT Wright's

That would be VERY unfortunate. 

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 301
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 2:28 PM

I have The Bible for Everyone and  from a quick scan the OT is the same text as John Goldingay's The First Testament.  I downloaded the sample for Kindle. I see that IVP publishes The First Testament, and SPCK in England publishes The Bible for Everyone.  They sometimes work together on publishing.  Note that the OT text in not the same as the Old Testament for Everyone series has.  I don't know about the NT.

Here are the first seven verses of Exodus from The Bible for Everyone:

On not rendering to Caesar

1 So these are the names of the sons of Yisra’el [Israel] who came to Misrayim [Egypt] with Ya’aqob [Jacob] (each with his household they came): 2Re’uben, Shim’on [Simeon], Levi and Yehudah [Judah]; 3Yissakar [Issachar], Zebulun and Binyamin [Benjamin]; 4Dan and Naphtali; Gad and Asher. 5Every person of those who came out of Ya’aqob’s loins, they were seventy persons, Yoseph [Joseph] being in Misrayim. 6Yoseph died, as did all his brothers, and all that generation, 7but the Yisra’elites—they were fruitful and they teemed, they became vast and very, very numerous. The country became full of them.

Goldingay, J., & Wright, T. (2018). The Bible for Everyone: A New Translation (Ex 1:1–7). London: SPCK.

Posts 7281
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 2:29 PM

NB.Mick:

Doc B:

I think it will be combined with NT Wright's Kingdom New Testament into https://www.logos.com/product/168029 

Will be? It’s already been combined and it’s amazing!

They should separate them and make them available for purchase individually for those who would like just one or the other, though.  Personally, I wanted both so this one did it for me ~~~> https://www.logos.com/product/168029/the-bible-for-everyone 

DAL

Posts 2651
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 3:07 PM

Doc B:

NB.Mick:

I also dislike this move.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 3903
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 3:30 PM

DAL:

NB.Mick:

Doc B:

Will be? It’s already been combined and it’s amazing!

They should separate them and make them available for purchase individually for those who would like just one or the other, though.  Personally, I wanted both so this one did it for me ~~~> https://www.logos.com/product/168029/the-bible-for-everyone 

DAL

what makes this so good?

Posts 7281
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 28 2020 4:27 PM

Wright’s translation is right on point on many key NT verses and it’s very easy to read.  Same goes for Goldingay.  Both are excellent translations IMHO

DAL

Posts 591
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2020 4:44 AM

DAL:

Wright’s translation is right on point on many key NT verses and it’s very easy to read.  Same goes for Goldingay.  Both are excellent translations IMHO

DAL

Yes

Posts 1063
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 3:58 AM

Love your enthusiasm DAL. ~  I have already bought it but you have started me reading it!!!

Amodeo:

Doc B:

NB.Mick:

I also dislike this move.

Very curious about what the problem is with Wrights translation? What have you both read in it that you find unacceptable? 

If I removed a book from logos every time I disagreed with the author in one of his/her works I would have nothing left other than Greek or Hebrew bibles. Clearly I must be a masochist as I LIKE to have my thoughts, prejudices and preconceptions challenged. 

"Chew the meat and spit out the bones"

Posts 591
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 5:15 AM

JohnB:

I LIKE to have my thoughts, prejudices and preconceptions challenged

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS