I have a problem with my note tags not surfacing when I use the filter feature (on iOS - stable and beta)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 69
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Apr 30 2020 9:08 PM

On the notes tool on iOS, I’m seeing that some tags that I have created and use are available and will show up in the tag editor, but they are not available as a filter option. I.e, these tags don’t appear when I search the filter option. Why might that happen?  (I have a video, but for some reason I cannot upload it here.)

* Note, this is not an issue where I have a notebook selected that does not have any notes with the relevant tag.

** This is a cross-post.  I put this on the Faithlife group for notes.

Posts 24544
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 12:53 AM

Just to clarify - do you mean they don’t show up when you enter text into the search field as below?

Posts 69
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 6:59 AM

Yes. Exactly. 

Posts 24544
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 8:14 AM

It would be good to see your video. If you have it stored on a cloud platform somewhere (so it is generally accessible) try posting a link to it here.

Posts 69
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 8:37 AM

Good call. Here it is on Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggo6bhnw3wo7bw8/Tag%20Demonstration.mp4?dl=0

I’ve also observed that this only happens from the “all notes” section. If I select a notebook I can find even the missing tags. But I have to select the right notebook. 

Posts 228
LogosEmployee
Todd Diehl (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2020 4:47 PM

Thanks Tom, I see what is going on. We load all the facets up front and then search them in-memory for performance. The term count within the facet is currently capped at 30 (except for Bible Book). Your "Redemption" tag likely falls outside the top 30. We can look at increasing that term count in an upcoming beta.

Posts 69
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2020 5:17 PM

Thank you, Todd.  This now makes perfect sense.  Another tag that I could not find recently started showing up.  I thought, perhaps, there was some kind of indexing that was going on in the background.  But, it started showing up after I added a few more notes with that tag.  It probably crossed over into that 30 cap. I understand your rationale in the design decision, and have no quibble with it now that I understand what's happening.  If there is anyway we can get access to more without degrading performance, I'd love it. But knowing what's going solves my immediate problem.  Thank you.

Posts 69
Tom Vidal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 3 2020 4:34 PM

Todd:

Todd Diehl (Faithlife):

We can look at increasing that term count in an upcoming beta.

it looks like this increase made it into 8.13.0 (17) beta. THANK YOU!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS