The Letters of John: Revised (Pillar New Testament Commentary)

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4182
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 4 2020 8:42 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/187296/the-letters-of-john-revised 

I've been trying to find what exactly will be different in this "newer/revised/second" edition... anyone heard anything? All eerdmans has is: 

Based on the latest text of the NIV, this updated commentary reflects the most current scholarship.

This updated and revised Pillar commentary seeks to clearly explain the meaning of John's letters to teachers, pastors, and general readers looking for a reliable and trusted resource for personal study. Colin Kruse introduces the important issues involved in interpreting the Johannine letters, gives verse-by-verse comments, and provides extensive discussion of John's major theological themes, including the real humanity of Christ, atonement, the role of the Spirit, Christian assurance, the meaning of koinonia, Christian love, and eternal life. 

Designed both for serious students and for general readers of the Bible, the Pillar New Testament Commentary volumes seek to make clear the meaning of the text of Scripture as we have it. The scholars writing these volumes interact with the most important, informed contemporary debate yet avoid undue technical detail. Their ideal is a blend of rigorous exegesis and exposition, scholarship and pastoral sensitivity, with an eye alert both to biblical theology and to the contemporary relevance of the Bible.

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2020 2:20 PM

This one gets a bit more convoluted in nature because the author also has a Tyndale volume that got revised. You know there is going to be some overlap.

The new volume is about 70 pages longer. Now figure he's learned a whole lot in the last couple of decades. 

I look at a commentary as a cheap seat view of what someone spent a lifetime to learn. YMMV 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 7625
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 4 2020 2:49 PM

I’m happy with his original volume.  Maybe they can include it in a base package.

DAL

Posts 4182
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2020 7:38 AM

I asked the publisher about this and I got two responses back.

1) It is "updated throughout to reflect new developments in scholarship since the first edition was published"

2) I asked how much of it was newer/revised and I was told: "Hard to guesstimate because he rewrote rather than just the addition of notes, etc."

As mab pointed out he also did the TNTC version which is great but those are typically shorter so if I were to get one it would be this one :)

I really hope they update that TOTC/TNTC collection soon... lots of new volumes out that I'd rather buy in the set than individually

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2020 11:55 AM

A rewrite is a great reason to get this one. The author has rep to make this one go. I put this one on pre-order.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2788
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2020 1:36 PM

mab:
This one gets a bit more convoluted in nature because the author also has a Tyndale volume that got revised. You know there is going to be some overlap.

Mattillo:
As mab pointed out he also did the TNTC version which is great but those are typically shorter so if I were to get one it would be this one :)

I think Colin Kruse did the TNTC version on the Gospel of John, while his Pillar NT, is on the Epistle of John so there should not be any overlap.

Thanks on the info from the publisher.

Kind regards

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2020 1:39 PM

Ted Hans:

mab:

Mattillo:

I think Colin Kruse did the TNTC version on the Gospel of John, while his Pillar NT, is on the Epistle of John so there should not be any overlap.

Thanks on the info from the publisher.

Kind regards

You're right. John Stott did the TNTC on the Letters of John.

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2020 2:57 PM

I'm getting dyslexic when it comes to John versus the Letters of John or forgetful or maybe both. Hmm I'll still take a rewrite any day. Speaking of John, Ridderbos' wonderful work on the gospel is coming out this month. 

Posts 2776
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 5 2020 4:12 PM

mab:

A rewrite is a great reason to get this one. The author has rep to make this one go. I put this one on pre-order.

mab,

I agree with everything you have said. Cruse did a bang of a job with his first effort. This is a no brainer for me esp. in view of the 30 day policy. If it turns out to not be of value I will return it. But, as it stands I doubt this will be necessary, I find it to be affordable. Another issue to consider is the value one places on the Johannine Epistles. I love them and I value scholarly research on them greatly.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 9:30 AM

Logos say the book is released next week, whereas Amazon are saying 2 months later. I'm inclined to suspect Amazon are right, but I've placed my order in case. I will be carefully reviewing though to see how much is new in the commentary itself, rather than just the bibliography, footnotes or introduction.

Posts 4182
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 9:41 AM

Eerdmans says 5/14 for hardcover

https://www.eerdmans.com/Mobile/Products/7667/the-letters-of-john.aspx 

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 10:38 AM

Mattillo:

I wonder whether UK hardcover date is different. Amazon UK say 15th July.

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 12:34 AM

Having quickly compared the first edition and the revised edition, I haven't found anything significant yet. (I've only compared the commentary on 1 John 1.)

Looking at the author index I can't see much interaction with major commentaries published since the original edition in 2000 either. So occasionally the revised edition makes reference to the comments of a couple of commentaries since 2000. But not on many occasions.

The NIV text is also included in blocks, as well as the verse or words being commentated on. Previously blocks of the NIV text weren't included.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed anything significant? Perhaps others know how to overlay the 2 books and generate data identifying the differences. My gut feel is that I'll be taking advantage of the 30 day returns policy.

The one difference I have spotted is that at the end of every major section of commentary there's a summary of the theology in that section. It is though brief and wouldn't alone warrant the revised edition. Here's the first example:

Theology
The fact that “God is light,” along with the corollary that “in him there is no darkness at all,” means that (1) those who claim to have fellowship with God yet “walk in darkness” are not living according to the truth, while those who “walk in the light” enjoy fellowship with one another and the “blood of
Christ” purifies them from sin, and (2) those who claim not to have sinned are deceiving themselves and make God himself out to be a liar, while those who confess their sins receive forgiveness and cleansing, cleansing made possible by the atoning sacrifice of Christ.

Posts 7625
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 2:22 AM

I’m sure glad I didn’t buy it, then! They can add it for a buck $1 on my next upgrade 👍😁👌

DAL

Posts 4182
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 3:40 AM

Yeah I noticed that as well when I looked it over last night. I also noticed it had a few extra  excurses but not the rewrite I was told.  As for comparison, I don’t know an easy way to do it. My original thought was to use the concordance tool but I don’t think those results would be all that helpful. Maybe Microsoft word has a compare docs feature...

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 3:47 AM

DAL:

I’m sure glad I didn’t buy it, then! They can add it for a buck $1 on my next upgrade 👍😁👌

DAL

I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for the 30 day returns policy. I suspect I'll buy it if and when it's included in a dynamically priced set on sale or included in a base pack at a great price. But so far definitely not worth $25 if you have the original. 

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 4:03 AM

Mattillo:

Yeah I noticed that as well when I looked it over last night. I also noticed it had a few extra  excurses but not the rewrite I was told.  As for comparison, I don’t know an easy way to do it. My original thought was to use the concordance tool but I don’t think those results would be all that helpful. Maybe Microsoft word has a compare docs feature...

Even with the excursuses, I think it's that they're labelled as such now. The way the text is laid out is better, but not worth upgrading at $25.

Posts 2776
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 4:17 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Having quickly compared the first edition and the revised edition, I haven't found anything significant yet. (I've only compared the commentary on 1 John 1.)

Looking at the author index I can't see much interaction with major commentaries published since the original edition in 2000 either. So occasionally the revised edition makes reference to the comments of a couple of commentaries since 2000. But not on many occasions.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed anything significant? Perhaps others know how to overlay the 2 books and generate data identifying the differences. My gut feel is that I'll be taking advantage of the 30 day returns policy.

The one difference I have spotted is that at the end of every major section of commentary there's a summary of the theology in that section. It is though brief and wouldn't alone warrant the revised edition. Here's the first example:

Theology
The fact that “God is light,” along with the corollary that “in him there is no darkness at all,” means that (1) those who claim to have fellowship with God yet “walk in darkness” are not living according to the truth, while those who “walk in the light” enjoy fellowship with one another and the “blood of
Christ” purifies them from sin, and (2) those who claim not to have sinned are deceiving themselves and make God himself out to be a liar, while those who confess their sins receive forgiveness and cleansing, cleansing made possible by the atoning sacrifice of Christ.

Paul,

I used the Concordance Tool to identify substantive revisions to the text. Apparently, this revision is directed towards academics as the bulk of the changes appear to be with footnotes. Indeed the rework done with the six contemporary commentaries is found to be exclusively in footnotes. Examining the surface text the changes appear to be some rewording and organizational reworking. In conclusion, I find little to no value to the laity to recommend this edition. I like you am satisfied with the author's first effort and do not need this revision. I'm ready to be proved wrong if my method is found to be flawed and there does exist rich content that I have missed.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Posts 1383
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 4:23 AM

Beloved Amodeo:

Paul Caneparo:

Theology

Paul,

I used the Concordance Tool to identify substantive revisions to the text. Apparently, this revision is directed towards academics as the bulk of the changes appear to be with footnotes. Indeed the rework done with the six contemporary commentaries is found to be exclusively in footnotes. Examining the surface text the changes appear to be some rewording and organizational reworking. In conclusion, I find little to no value to the laity to recommend this edition. I like you am satisfied with the author's first effort and do not need this revision. I'm ready to be proved wrong if my method is found to be flawed and there does exist rich content that I have missed.

Thanks so much. I enjoy the Pillar series, so didn't wish to miss out if the revision was substantial. But it seems like I can use my budget elsewhere. I haven't really stuck to my budget this year, as there have been too many good sales. I just need Zondervan to do a sale on my missing ZEC volumes and I'll have nothing left in my main wishlist.

Posts 543
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 6:48 AM

Great thread. Thanks to all who did the hard work so that I didn’t have too. Blessings, L

Carpe verbum.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS