The Letters of John: Revised (Pillar New Testament Commentary)

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 15 2020 8:41 AM

The TOC looks much better organized with more detail. For teaching, that makes a real difference. 

FWIW, I acquired Pillar as part of a base package. As such it was next to nothing. And that was probably one of the packages that one of God's benefactors bought for me. I can never forget the fact that it was someone's gifts that put a lot of scrolls and parchments in my Logos library when I was mostly flat broke. I can't bring myself to whine about this one.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 66
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 16 2020 9:10 AM

mab:

FWIW, I acquired Pillar as part of a base package. As such it was next to nothing. And that was probably one of the packages that one of God's benefactors bought for me. I can never forget the fact that it was someone's gifts that put a lot of scrolls and parchments in my Logos library when I was mostly flat broke. I can't bring myself to whine about this one.

Thank you for the good testimony; it was encouraging to read.

Grace and Peace,

dmb

Posts 660
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2020 7:04 PM

Paul Caneparo:
Having quickly compared the first edition and the revised edition, I haven't found anything significant yet.

The Table of Contents tagging is a significant (and in my opinion, a very unacceptable) difference between the revised edition and the first edition. The first edition (seen on the right side) allows you to go directly to the notes/appendixes within the passage. The revised edition (seen on the left) does not!

Posts 660
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2020 7:06 PM

Beloved Amodeo:
I used the Concordance Tool to identify substantive revisions to the text. Apparently, this revision is directed towards academics as the bulk of the changes appear to be with footnotes.

The revised edition is 268 pages. The first edition is 243 pages. So, 25 new pages. As you show, it appears all the major additions are within the footnotes.

Posts 660
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 17 2020 7:10 PM

The following is from the Author's Preface and describes some of the changes contained in the revised edition:

I am grateful for the invitation from William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company and the editor of their Pillar New Testament Commentary series, Don Carson, to revise and update my volume on the Letters of John written about twenty years ago. The invitation provided me with an opportunity to revise the work where appropriate in the light of significant literature produced over the last twenty years.

Following the guidelines for new volumes in the series, this commentary is based on the latest version of the New International Version (NIV 2011), and also adds an explanation of the context for each major section of text and a statement of the major theological content of each section.

Colin G. Kruse, The Letters of John, ed. D. A. Carson, Second Edition., Pillar New Testament Commentary (Grand Rapids, MI; London: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company; Apollos, 2020), xiii.

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 2:11 PM

Maybe Kyle can examine the tagging. There shouldn't be a different standard to how one volume works for another in the series. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1322
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 2:17 PM

We can update this to add additional toc-entries.

Posts 660
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 8:15 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

That would be greatly appreciated.

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 9:32 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thank you in advance, Kyle.

Posts 4182
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 19 2020 6:49 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Thank you Mr Anderson (thinking about the Matrix today :) )

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS