Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2
Andrew Pearse | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 18 2020 7:32 AM

Was recently sent video on using Figurative Language Filter.  Followed the instructions to set up filter in Docs by setting up a new filter.  The filter would not show up when using a bible and setting up the filter.  Support replicated my computer and couldn't get it to work therefore told me to send this post to you.

Posts 24484
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 7:37 AM

Hi Andrew - and welcome to the forums

Please post a screenshot - using the paperclip icon in the forum editor - showing the visual filter as you have it setup.

Graham

Posts 2521
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 9:42 AM

Also it needs to be in a Bible that has a Reverse Interlinear such as the ESV.

Posts 79
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 12:04 PM

I have the same issue as Andrew. John, I checked and have a reverse interlinear for the NRSV. I tried ESV and other texts for which I have reverse interlinears with the same result. Attached is a screen shot of what I have done to set this up per the video instructions.

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 26497
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 2:17 PM

Andrew Pearse:
The filter would not show up when using a bible and setting up the filter. 

1. You have to set the VF in the Visual filters menu of the resource (three triangular dots)
  2. The Figurative Language label only works in the New Testament
  3. Only set it up for a single bible as the Search is fairly slow
    1. {Label Figurative Language WHERE Category ~ <FigurativeLanguageCategory Metaphor, Structural>} takes 9s
    2. {Label Figurative Language} takes 12.5s

My VF for {Label Figurative Language WHERE Category ~ <FigurativeLanguageCategory Metaphor, Structural>} works OK.

You can get a specific type of  Figurative Language by right-clicking a word and selecting the Label symbol (like a black bullet) on the left side.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 79
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 4:01 PM

Ok, it does work as expected in the NT. It is interesting that the video (featuring Logos 7) used Psalm 23 as the passage representing how to set this up. 

Yes, it does take a second or so to show the search results—very tolerable on my system.

Thanks for your help,

—Joseph

Posts 2
Andrew Pearse | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 4:05 PM

Thanks for input I did get it to work, very helpful knowing it is for NT only thanks for all your input.  

Posts 2521
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 4:14 PM

As an alternative to the VF you can open in the Guide section a Concordance and set it to Figurative Language and then link it to your Bible. I like it much better. You can also add a section to your Passage Guide which is what I did. here is how it looks:

Posts 79
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 18 2020 4:42 PM

Even more fun. :)

Thanks John,

—Joseph

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS