PNTC - The Future of Eph, Phil, Heb?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 545
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 24 2020 11:18 PM

Hi all, 

So as I am sure you all know the Eph, Phil, and Heb editions of the Pillar NT Commentary were pulled as a result of the plagiarism investigation into Peter O'Brien. It has been over 4 years since this information broke. We recently received a revised 'Letters of John', does anyone know if there are plans for revised Eph/Phil/Heb commentaries? 

Thanks, L

Carpe verbum.

Posts 41
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 2:59 AM

Liam

1) the Phil commentary was in the Word series

2) I would look on Best commentaries-they sometimes have authors with projected volumes.  For some reason the site is down, just checked.  Otherwise, parableman has a site with commentary recommendations, if it is still in use, haven't used it in years.  This site also did have projected commentaries. 

Hope this helps

Leaving you in God's Care and Grace

Posts 2788
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 4:27 AM

Liam & Abi Maguire:
We recently received a revised 'Letters of John

I do not have any inside information, with that said i think the revised Letters of John is quite different as it was never pulled from the Pillar series.

Liam & Abi Maguire:
know if there are plans for revised Eph/Phil/Heb commentaries? 

I think you mean a new release which will be assigned to a different author for the Eph & Heb volume in the Pillar series as oppose to a revision. That is a good question.

Perhaps we can reach out to Eerdmans to find out if they have any plans to offer new replacement for the Eph & Heb commentaries.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 7631
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 6:44 AM

Bring O’Brien’s volumes, correct them, add new material and make them part of the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary series.  That will help with pumping new volumes out to complete the series.

DAL

Posts 545
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 7:41 AM

Thanks all. Appreciate the replies and corrections, etc. Will check out those sites and see what I can dig up. 

Carpe verbum.

Posts 2788
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 8:16 AM

DAL:
Bring O’Brien’s volumes, correct them, add new material and make them part of the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary series.  That will help with pumping new volumes out to complete the series.

The only volume from O'Brien that can be added to the EEC is HebrewsSmile

Eph and Phil are already available in the EEC 

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 7631
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 9:45 AM

I’ll take Hebrews any day 👍😁👌

Posts 2650
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 9:55 AM

It still seems part of the bundle.

https://www.logos.com/product/52637/pillar-new-testament-commentary

If you want it, grab it while you can.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 7631
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 9:59 AM

Jan Krohn:

I own them but in the resources included it doesn’t show I do and when you click on Ephesians and Hebrews there’s no preview available.  Maybe it’s a mistake in the advertisement unless you get them free for not being quatable.

Posts 2788
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 12:01 PM

DAL:
I own them

Dal, please help me understand your point.

If you own the OBrien commentaries, why would you want to own them again? Is it for citation purpose or you simply acknowledging that O'Brien did a good job commenting on Hebrews leaving aside the issue of plagiarism.

Posts 4432
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 1:27 PM

Ted Hans:

DAL:
I own them

If you own the OBrien commentaries, why would you want to own them again? Is it for citation purpose or you simply acknowledging that O'Brien did a good job commenting on Hebrews leaving aside the issue of plagiarism.

He might want to own them in volumes that he can cite in an academic or other professional context.

“God watches over the affairs of those who truly love him without their worrying about them.” - St. John of the Cross

Posts 7631
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 1:42 PM

SineNomine:

Ted Hans:

DAL:
I own them

He might want to own them in volumes that he can cite in an academic or other professional context.

What he said 👍😁👌 Plus whatever new content O’Brien might be able to add 👌

DAL

Posts 2788
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 1:59 PM

DAL:
What he said 👍😁👌 Plus whatever new content O’Brien might be able to add 👌

Ah that makes sense

Posts 2788
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 2:00 PM

SineNomine:
SineNomine:

Thanks Yes

Posts 545
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 11:10 PM

Jan Krohn:

Hey Jan,

So one of the reasons for starting this thread was due to purchasing the PNTC bundle as part of Gold and noticing that the O'brien volumes were not included. I think Faithlife has pulled them at the publishers request. 

Comment from Faithlife rep would be helpful...?

Carpe verbum.

Posts 1396
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 12:32 AM

Liam & Abi Maguire:

Jan Krohn:

Hey Jan,

So one of the reasons for starting this thread was due to purchasing the PNTC bundle as part of Gold and noticing that the O'brien volumes were not included. I think Faithlife has pulled them at the publishers request. 

Comment from Faithlife rep would be helpful...?

Liam. Faithlife commented at the time. I'm sure it can be found in Forums if you search. Paul

Posts 545
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 1:36 AM

Paul Caneparo:

Liam. Faithlife commented at the time. I'm sure it can be found in Forums if you search. Paul

Thanks Paul, I think I've found it: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/129058.aspx?PageIndex=1 

Carpe verbum.

Posts 1396
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 3:09 AM

Liam & Abi Maguire:

Paul Caneparo:

Thanks Paul, I think I've found it: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/129058.aspx?PageIndex=1 

That's it. If I remember correctly it seemed to be a case of poor note taking resulting in not attributing where the ideas originated rather than deliberate plagiarism. 

Posts 140
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 3:31 AM

How I wish the author will correct his existing books (the issue of attribution). The content is superb. It's my go to commentary when it comes to Ephesian and Hebrews.

Posts 545
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 8:41 AM

Dennis Hilario:

How I wish the author will correct his existing books (the issue of attribution). The content is superb. It's my go-to commentary when it comes to Ephesian and Hebrews.

From what I can gather it isn't the authors call, but the publishers. It was probably an embarrassing fiasco for them, one I imagine they want to get thoroughly forgotten. By revising the entries some will no doubt claim that they are not taking plagiarism seriously enough, others will no doubt have lost trust in O'Brien completely (rightly or wrongly), and it will no doubt drag the past back into the future - all in all, a publicity nightmare. 

Perhaps, we'll get entries under a new author, but from what I've read in the last 24hrs, I'm not holding my breath anymore.

Carpe verbum.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS