Faithlife Connect Subscription - SHOULD WE SUBSCRIBE STILL??

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1900
mike | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 25 2020 8:20 PM

May annual will be up on 5/28/20 and I was day 1 subscriber. (I think)

I'm debating whether I should continue to subscribe, because this past year I don't see any REAL benefits anymore. The main benefit I was looking for was the early features that they're going to release for the next Logos update, BUT that has been cancelled awhile back. No more early features of Logos 9 in Logos 8. Very disappointing.

And I have been letting Logos letting it fly all these months. Getting easy money from me when I don't really use most of the features. I know I can get by without Logos Now/Connect. 

On top of that, it seems the benefits have plummeted also. And they have no enticing plan or additional benefits for me to stay. Really. Very poor marketing and development. It seems they just abandoned the boat and took our money and laugh at our lack of concerns. I don't know if Bob/Phil approved this and planned of neglecting Logos Connect entirely. 

I speak this in light of other big subscriptions comparison. They have numerous big updates and CONTENTS. Logos Connect hardly have any.

So are you guys planning to re-up? If there's no new update or anything great announced by 5/28/20 (anniversary)... I'm 100% sure I will cancel. I suggest you guys will too..as this will make Logos consider their decision.

Posts 451
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 8:32 PM

Mike, which Faithlife Connect package do you have? I'm just wondering because despite some of the diminished benefits, having access to all of the features without having to pay full price for them along with the free books and six months of a free Mobile Ed course is enough to keep me with mine. 

Posts 1900
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 8:45 PM

I have the Essentials.

Even with the 1 temporary mobile ed per 6 months, still doesn't cut it for me. Imagine Netflix/Hulu/Prime/Disney+ saying.... "oh I'm going to give you 1 free movie for 6 months, then you cannot see it anymore" ..... the world would be laughing.

One consideration that would make Faithlife Connect/Now be worthy is if they put all Mobile Eds into the subscription. THEN it would make more sense and logical to subscribe for $100/year. Otherwise it's just throwing money away and isn't very wise for customers.

Posts 29612
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 9:04 PM

I am going to be extraordinarily unhelpful. Whether or not a Connect subscription is cost-effective depends upon:

1. What resources and features you own
  2. What unowned resources and features you need, want, or would enjoy
  3. What you uses for Logos are

It is hard enough to figure out whether or not it is cost-effect for myself ... I'll not make a fool of myself trying to do it for others.

However, I think FL made a mistake in removing early release of features ... I think they should have simply removed the unrealistic frequency of such releases and given more emphasis on improvements by going through features and fixing ALL reported bugs for a particular feature and taken credit for it as a improvement.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1900
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 9:14 PM

I mean, unless a person is a die-hard Logos fanatic and has the need to throw money at Logos without considering the price comparisons... I can see why they have to.

But let’s be honest here...

Most people don't use Logos 5-8 hours a day like any other subscription services. But people can sit and binge on Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Hulu, Spotify, etc for hours and hours.... and their pricing and contents are totally justified. Logos Connect? Ughhhh…… super hard.

Posts 105
Ruben Sandoval | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 10:23 PM

You can binge watch on Faithlife TV (all you want (I think) --> https://faithlifetv.com/

Stick out tongue

Posts 3754
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 10:38 PM

One thing to consider is how much you’ve spent in 2020. You’d get a 2% reward next February (but only if you’re still an active subscriber).

Since L9 might be released this fall, you may also want to factor in the additional savings that Connect members will get when they upgrade.

If those two benefits cover the cost of the subscription, it is paying for itself.

My top three Logos 9 Wishlist items: Carta, Dark mode, and Hebrew audio bible, please.

Posts 1900
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 10:51 PM

PetahChristian:

One thing to consider is how much you’ve spent in 2020. You’d get a 2% reward next February (but only if you’re still an active subscriber).

Since L9 might be released this fall, you may also want to factor in the additional savings that Connect members will get when they upgrade.

If those two benefits cover the cost of the subscription, it is paying for itself.

1. 2% of something that you have to spend in store, not cash for you. Totally different value & amount. Logos still make more money out of you and wins at the end. And let's not forget... "only IF you spent money".... if you don't spend money, you don't get money.

2. So if I've been subscribing since at least 2018 (L8) and spent $300 for 3 years for Logos Connect (upfront), and still doesn't know what kind of savings I'll be getting this fall for Logos 9, is that even wise? I don't think $300 covers for these two. Most of us are just fan-girling over Logos and Logos has no substantial competitors, and they're milking this economy ... and us.

Posts 526
Liam Maguire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 25 2020 11:03 PM

Due to our finacial situation it is unlikely that I'd every have enough disposable income to buy the latest feature set outright so FLC is perfect for me. The three free classics books and 2% voucher are simply deal sweeteners.

As for the MobEd courses, I can take them all leave them. The ones I'm really interested often require platinum to make to get the most out of the course material and suggested readings (I have gold). And even then I lack the free time to invest in the courses. However, I recognised that when I went into FLC. 

FWIW, I also see it as a way to support the work of Faithlife and give something back. This however is a personal perspective and I don't expect others to see it that way. 

Carpe verbum.

Posts 2081
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 6:22 AM

mike:
The main benefit I was looking for was the early features that they're going to release for the next Logos update, BUT that has been cancelled awhile back. No more early features of Logos 9 in Logos 8.

I've not been keeping up. Can someone point me to where this was announced? Did I miss an email?

That will definitely weigh on my decision, heavily.

Posts 1399
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 6:43 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Can someone point me to where this was announced?

February 2018: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/160552/957374.aspx#957374 

Posts 1399
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 6:43 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Posts 11190
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 7:01 AM

HJ. van der Wal:

Randy W. Sims:

Well, I read the whole thing. Looks like they're offering something for something, and Alabama wasn't on-board. My impression is FL pursues 'new', until it's 'old' (the old corporate problem of legasy).  I never thought the subscription thing would work, marketing-wise, since they'd need to market it, and they're largely a toss-the-dynamite-in and see if any fish bite.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 4082
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 7:50 AM

I keep my subscription for many reasons but the 3 biggest ones to me are:

1) 2% Back annually (If you spend a lot you can make up some to most of the subscription)

2) Access to Faithlife TV.  It isn't amazing but it does have some nice stuff on it

3) Free books / Lexham discount on a monthly basis.  I recently grabbed the LRC set with the 25% off and saved a ton... those savings add up.

Other thoughts

Last upgrade to L8, Connect subscribers got an extra 5% off.  If you are spending $1000 on an upgrade that will add up.  You also get a free course (or courses) each year to rent out.  There is also a connect only deals page each month.

I haven't seen much benefit recently in the access to new resources part.  It would be nice if they'd show more of what we were getting in reference to that or a connect newsletter or something.

Posts 451
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 7:53 AM

MJ. Smith:

However, I think FL made a mistake in removing early release of features ... I think they should have simply removed the unrealistic frequency of such releases and given more emphasis on improvements by going through features and fixing ALL reported bugs for a particular feature and taken credit for it as a improvement.

MJ, I agree with you wholeheartedly here. I enjoyed the new releases of features and would love them to come back, even if it meant a bit of chunkiness and no set schedule for releases. Maybe if enough attention is generated, they might consider bringing that back? I don't know...

Posts 1181
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 8:06 AM

I enjoyed Logos Now while I had it. I did not at all like the changes that came about when it became Connect. I made my peace with the coupon they gave when I dropped my subscription. So far I've not had any cause to regret that. It's not nearly that deal that it was originally.

Like M.J. said, whether it's right for you will be up to individual factors. Generally, though, I have a concern when a book company starts making, "Look at all the videos we've got!" their big selling point.

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 9:04 AM

Denise:
Well, I read the whole thing. Looks like they're offering something for something, and Alabama wasn't on-board.

Well, kind of. FL had the "Logos Now" subscription, which was access to all features, including ones not released yet to non-subscribers, for a very low price. At first, they killed the whole thing. My argument was that the "future features" wasn't necessarily the main draw, but inexpensive access to the features was. After my post and the conversation that followed, They made modifications to their plans including allowing some users to be grandfathered in to a lower price without all the additional bells and whistles. 

My 2¢... I am in the camp of "buy books, subscribe to features." I have not purchased any feature sets for the last two go rounds, and don't plan to do so moving forward. If for some reason I needed to drop my subscription, I would be ok with still being able to utilize my library, take notes, etc. The single selling point of Logos to me is the unified search library. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2133
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 9:18 AM

JT (alabama24):
I am in the camp of "buy books, subscribe to features."

I concur. the free engine + owned resources + subscribed datasets at the price they grandfathered Logos Now makes economic sense.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 11190
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 9:55 AM

JT (alabama24):
My 2¢... I am in the camp of "buy books, subscribe to features." I have not purchased any feature sets for the last two go rounds, and don't plan to do so moving forward. If for some reason I needed to drop my subscription, I would be ok with still being able to utilize my library, take notes, etc. The single selling point of Logos to me is the unified search library

You're probably right. Looking back since the Libby-iferous days, I use the CitedBy linkage, the MultiView (in place of a leader-link), right-clik mainly lemmas etc, and simple searches (Logos not my main engine). Logos verse-linking remains a pain, but understandable since we're not talking 'Bible' software.

I bought all the upgrade features but never installed L8 ... the accompanying books paid the freight charge.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3705
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 26 2020 2:28 PM

MJ. Smith:

Yes +1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS