Wayne Grudem Systematic Theology Video Lectures

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 41
Steven Leavitt | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jun 4 2020 9:03 PM

Hi there. I've been thinking of studying the book by Wayne Grudem called Systematic Theology. There is a video resource on pre-pub that goes with this but I am a little confused as to if this is the same resource that I am finding at other locations (including Zondervan's website) for about 15-25% of the cost of the sale price from Logos. The information provided about this resource from Logos is very minimum. Does anyone have experience in learning or teaching from this resource? Please note that I am just a layman who just wants to grow deeper. I use Logos mainly as an ebook reader. I've also been thinking of checking out the Systematic Theology book from John MacArthur. I'm looking for something that can be understood by a "simple folk" like myself. If there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you.

https://www.logos.com/product/185444/systematic-theology-video-lectures

PS-I've noticed that there is a new edition coming out. Maybe I should look at something else and wait for the new resource to be release.

Posts 1361
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 4 2020 10:09 PM

Steven Leavitt:

Hi there. I've been thinking of studying the book by Wayne Grudem called Systematic Theology. There is a video resource on pre-pub that goes with this but I am a little confused as to if this is the same resource that I am finding at other locations (including Zondervan's website) for about 15-25% of the cost of the sale price from Logos. The information provided about this resource from Logos is very minimum. Does anyone have experience in learning or teaching from this resource? Please note that I am just a layman who just wants to grow deeper. I use Logos mainly as an ebook reader. I've also been thinking of checking out the Systematic Theology book from John MacArthur. I'm looking for something that can be understood by a "simple folk" like myself. If there are any suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you.

https://www.logos.com/product/185444/systematic-theology-video-lectures

PS-I've noticed that there is a new edition coming out. Maybe I should look at something else and wait for the new resource to be release.

Steven. I would wait for the new Systematic Theology book by Grudem, as his views have changed a little over the years. His Systematic Theology is very readable. In fact, I read it cover to cover once. Like you I tend to use Logos as an e-reader too. I did download all Grudem's talks based on his book from his church website to listen to in the car while traveling as part of my job. I've never seen the point in buying the video courses, as they're generally very expensive and I prefer being able to look up information in a book and the ability to search for quotes. That said I know many do appreciate the video resources.

Posts 162
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 5 2020 9:20 AM

I became a youth pastor at a country church in 2014. I had little actual education. The following summer, I listened to all of the audio from the website (around 105 episodes or so from his Sunday school class). I also read about 75% or so of the book. As years passed, I know some people don't care for him, and I know about the controversy a few years ago (though I admit it is still over my head)... BUT, when I look at my Christian life, listening to those lectures over a long period of time with no accredited education—that summer was probably one of the most foundational and learning seasons of my life. I was amazed at what I learned; I was amazed at his humility during Q&A's when he often said he didn't have an answer.

I'm now an MDiv student, and maybe one day I'll understand the arguments people have against him, but I hope that I will always be thankful for the summer in the mid2010s when I felt like I was in a real classroom learning foundation material. 

Posts 1361
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 5 2020 10:50 AM

Tony Walker:

I became a youth pastor at a country church in 2014. I had little actual education. The following summer, I listened to all of the audio from the website (around 105 episodes or so from his Sunday school class). I also read about 75% or so of the book. As years passed, I know some people don't care for him, and I know about the controversy a few years ago (though I admit it is still over my head)... BUT, when I look at my Christian life, listening to those lectures over a long period of time with no accredited education—that summer was probably one of the most foundational and learning seasons of my life. I was amazed at what I learned; I was amazed at his humility during Q&A's when he often said he didn't have an answer.

I'm now an MDiv student, and maybe one day I'll understand the arguments people have against him, but I hope that I will always be thankful for the summer in the mid2010s when I felt like I was in a real classroom learning foundation material. 

I think the main issue was his view on eternal generation, where his view has now fallen inline with the mainstream position. Some detractors object to his view on eternal subordination, where he argues that although he is fully and equally God, along with the Father, Jesus has voluntarily always been in submission - hope that's a fair summary. 

Of course if you're a cessationist you won't like the fact he believes in the continuation of the gifts. And if you're equalitarian you won't like the fact he's a complementation. 

However, I believe it's his previous take on the Trinity over the years that has been the most controversial. However, having watched Mobile Ed: TH361 Perspectives on the Trinity: Eternal Generation and Subordination in Tension (4 hour course) I'd suggest there are understandable arguments both ways regarding the differing subordination positions.

Posts 41
Steven Leavitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 5 2020 8:57 PM

Thank you for the responses.

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2020 12:02 PM

You might want to pick this and this up, on sale.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS