Community Pricing: Hermann Gunkel’s "Israel and Babylon: The Influence of Babylon on the Religion of Israel"

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 4:12 AM

Kenneth Shawver:

Just placed my bid and it dropped to $4...yes!!!

I value Gunkel for many reasons including the fact that he, along with others such as Gerhard Von Rad made a valuable contribution to the method studying the OT in originating the form critical approach.  Von Rad in turn was the mentor of my mentor in the field, Rolf P Knierim who taught at Claremont and is the editor of the series "Forms of Old Testament Literature" published by Logos.  That having been said, this is not one of his more significant works.  For $4 (or anything less than $10) I am happy to have it, but don't be misled into thinking that simply because it is by Gunkel it will be of great importance. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 12:51 PM

George, my only intention was that it was a great price for a community priced item for those who have been hoping for it to go down. Your opinion and reasoning is your own and you are welcome to your opinion. Just as I am. So if you get it and enjoy it, fine, for those who get even something minute out of it in their studies more power to them.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:23 PM

Kenneth Shawver:

George, my only intention was that it was a great price for a community priced item for those who have been hoping for it to go down. Your opinion and reasoning is your own and you are welcome to your opinion. Just as I am. So if you get it and enjoy it, fine, for those who get even something minute out of it in their studies more power to them.

I agree that it is a very attractive price.  My purpose was not to criticise the work but to caution those who subscribe to not expect more than is in the book.  I really wish they would offer Gunkel's commentary on Genesis or Psalms or his Legends in Genesis and especially his Schöpfung und Chaos:  Urzeit und Endzeit  which has finally [Hallelujah !] been translated as Creation  and Chaos in the Primeval Era and the Eschaton.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4724
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:54 PM

All of those titles sound like ones I would place orders for--you should submit Suggestions for them if you haven't already.

Yes

Anything with the word Schöpfung in the title has to be a smacking good read!  Rather like "Smuckers", eh?

Posts 1
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 4:38 PM

George,

Gunkel's Legends of Genesis is available in Classic Commentaries and Studies on Genesis (22 Vols.).

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 5:58 PM

Kent Hendricks:
 George,

Gunkel's Legends of Genesis is available  in Classic Commentaries and Studies on Genesis (22 Vols.).

So is S. R.  Driver's lectures on Genesis.  Unfortunately those are the only two works in the set which would interest me.  I'll not spend $150 for two resources of that type.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4724
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 6:13 PM

Kent Hendricks:

Gunkel's Legends of Genesis is available in Classic Commentaries and Studies on Genesis (22 Vols.).

See, I told you I would place an order for it...I preordered that when it hit my screen! At far less than $10 per title, that package is a steal. One of my over $12k of PrePubs in the pipe. Unfortunately (fortunately?) many of them are still just "Gathering Interest". Tongue Tied

Posts 18597
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 9 2010 8:17 PM

David Paul:

One of my over $12k of PrePubs in the pipe. Unfortunately (fortunately?) many of them are still just "Gathering Interest". Tongue Tied

I've got over $19k of pre-pubs in my basket. I'm beginning to think many of mine are "Gathering Dust." Sad I wouldn't want them all to start coming online this year. But I could deal with a bit more than the trickle that have been coming through lately...

Posts 24482
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 1:58 AM

Rosie Perera:

David Paul:

One of my over $12k of PrePubs in the pipe. Unfortunately (fortunately?) many of them are still just "Gathering Interest". Tongue Tied

I've got over $19k of pre-pubs in my basket. I'm beginning to think many of mine are "Gathering Dust." Sad I wouldn't want them all to start coming online this year. But I could deal with a bit more than the trickle that have been coming through lately...

I’ve got about $12k *10-2 on my plateBig Smile

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18597
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:21 AM

Dave Hooton:

Rosie Perera:

David Paul:

I’ve got about $12k *10-2 on my plateBig Smile

There's a man who either shows restraint, or hasn't had time yet to browse through all the available pre-pubs. Smile

Posts 650
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:31 AM

Rosie Perera:
There's a man who either shows restraint, or hasn't had time yet to browse through all the available pre-pubs. Smile

Nah...the man lives half way round the world, and he's upside down to boot - the pre-pubs probably haven't got there yet!

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 24482
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:41 AM

Rosie Perera:

I'm content to fill my plate and wonder if a basket is big enough for youSmile Seriously, I've spent more on resources since L4 than all the years with L3 and more on pre-orders because of your promotional efforts (but I have shown restraint!).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18597
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 3:00 AM

Dave Hooton:

I'm content to fill my plate and wonder if a basket is big enough for you.

I should explain, lest anyone think I'm just greedily buying every pre-pub that comes out (I know you didn't mean that nor imply it, but others might see what I wrote earlier and jump to conclusions): much of the time when I buy things I am thinking beyond my own use of them, both in my role as MVP, and also my plan of donating my Logos library someday in my will (if Logos is still around then; I'm still pretty young!), perhaps to a third world seminary professor. As for the former, if it's going to be a commonly owned resource, I might be in a better position to help others if I own it. (However that isn't enough of a motivation to get me to buy certain authors or theological positions. And I'm in no way suggesting that MVPs must own most of the books the other users own in order to be able to be helpful.) As for the latter, if I can buy now at pre-pub prices something which would cost someone else to whom I might donate my library way more down the road to buy, that is awesome leverage. Again, I'll only buy books which I think are good resources and that I have at least a minor interest in owning in the meantime. Next, there's the benefit of serendipity. Even if I don't ever have time to read a quarter of the books I own, if I do a search or follow rabbit trails of links, I am more frequently going to stumble on something new and interesting if I have more resources in my library. Another reason I buy a lot of pre-pubs is that I know I'm helping Logos out (and I'm an investor after all, so it's a slightly ulterior motive) and helping out others who want to see the pre-pubs get to 100%. Finally, I can afford it, and I spend discretionary money on virtually nothing else. This is my main indulgence. (Before L4 came along it was print-based books, but my regular book-buying has come pretty much to a standstill, at least for theological books.)

Posts 24482
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 10 2010 3:38 AM

Rosie Perera:
I should explain,

This is another of those times I wished I had kept quiet or that the forum wasn't such a public place. But, yes, my remark was a play on the words "plate" and "basket" and it now literally appears that a cargo container isn't big enough for Rosie's generosity.

May God bless you,

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS