Kregal Sale

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 16 2020 12:18 PM

True to past performance, I can't see Faithlife saying when this sale ends, but interestingly my browser history calls it a flash sale. In the past flash sales haven't lasted longer than a week, so it may not be safe to assume this will last until the end of the month.

https://www.logos.com/kregel-sale

Posts 7511
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2020 3:27 PM

Thanks, Paul! Got a couple titles I had been keeping an eye on:

What the Old Testament Authors Really Cared About: A Survey of Jesus' Bible And Revisiting the Corruption of the New Testament DAL
Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 16 2020 11:55 PM

The Vital Issues series is a bit dated but, especially at these sale prices, worth a close look.

Posts 4082
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 5:53 AM

Lee:

The Vital Issues series is a bit dated but, especially at these sale prices, worth a close look.

Just a reminder for those looking at the vital issues... if you look at the set it has this statement: "The articles found in this collection have been selected by Roy Zuck and topically arranged into these twelve volumes. The chapters have been slightly modified for formatting, and are available in their complete and original form as part of the Bibliotheca Sacra which is included in the Theological Journal Library: Volumes 1-10."

I almost bought a few of them a year or two ago but then realized I already had the articles via the journals.  Albeit they are easier to find in these but more complete in the journals.

EDIT: Set Link: https://www.logos.com/product/4449/roy-zuck-vital-issues-series 

Posts 2589
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 6:22 AM

Good point. I don't have Bib Sac and I guess the dynamic price mechanism doesn't catch this possibility.

P.S. During the sale it's cheaper to buy individual volumes of the Vital Issues series even if you need the entire set.

Posts 2047
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 6:57 AM

Lee:

Good point. I don't have Bib Sac and I guess the dynamic price mechanism doesn't catch this possibility.

P.S. During the sale it's cheaper to buy individual volumes of the Vital Issues series even if you need the entire set.

How would I go about searching for these articles in the journals?

Posts 4082
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 7:45 AM

Mark:

Lee:

How would I go about searching for these articles in the journals?

Well here is the pickle that you'll have to decide for yourself.  The vital issues categorizes them nicely into books for easy finding but if you knew what you were looking for you could make a collection of Journals (or narrow it down further to just searching BibSac) and put the article title in quotes.  The web app isn't easy to use but I believe these are categorized with header text so you could make your search even easier by searching just that.

The above is from this issue: https://www.logos.com/product/7734/vital-apologetic-issues-examining-reason-and-revelation-in-biblical-perspective 

Posts 11194
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 10:14 AM

https://www.logos.com/product/47045/warfare-in-the-old-testament-the-organization-weapons-and-tactics-of-ancient-near-eastern-armies 

For almost 1/2 price, this one is useful, especially in boring-ish OT Bible history classes for the guys.  The depth is good (including hebrew discussions). Illustrations and discussion are grouped by source. And you'll need to find out just why rock thrower helmets are not like everybody else's.  I assume rocks can go in both directions.

My curiousity derives from eastern New Mexico ... Clovis and Folson chipping techniques.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1067
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 17 2020 2:20 PM

Denise:
For almost 1/2 price, this one is useful, especially in boring-ish OT Bible history classes for the guys.

Sounds as if it could also liven up sermons for the younger members of the congregation!

Posts 437
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 5:39 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on "John Phillips Commentary Series (27 vols.)".  At less than half price ($199.00 for the whole set) it does seem tempting, Thanks for all.

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 5:56 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:

Does anyone have an opinion on "John Phillips Commentary Series (27 vols.)".  At less than half price ($199.00 for the whole set) it does seem tempting, Thanks for all.

We're all different. I bought it for $33.99 from another Bible software company and still returned it. I do *try* to spend wisely and felt it didn't offer as much as some of my similar "commentaries". I prefer my Boice and Reformed Expository Commentaries, which I guess are similar in format, but I felt deeper and more insightful. It is 5 years though since I bought and returned the set, so hope I'm recalling my experience well.

Posts 551
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 6:00 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:

Hello Matthew.  This is one of my favorite commentaries.  Here is a sample from the section on  Galatians.

Paul's signature on a letter was worth millions, not in the coin of the realm but in spiritual terms. The name Paul on an epistle is like the name Mozart on a musical score, the name Rembrandt on a painting, the name Rockefeller on a check, or the word sterling on silver. It indicates its worth. Paul! He was the church's greatest thinker, the church's greatest missionary, the church's greatest apologist, the church's greatest theologian, the church's greatest enthusiast, and the church's greatest apostle. Paul!

Paul! As soon as they saw the name on the letter, the Galatians would see him in their mind's eye. They would recall at once the extraordinary Jew who spoke like a Roman and reasoned like a Greek. Paul! He was the man who could preach like an archangel, who was as bold as a lion, as tender as a nurse, as honest as the sunshine, wiser than Solomon, more patient than Job, and armed with spiritual authority and power. No foe could daunt him; no fear could haunt him. He had taken their little corner of the Roman world by storm! And how they had loved him! Paul!

John Phillips Commentary Series, The - Exploring Galatians: An Expository Commentary.

Posts 437
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 6:33 AM

Thank you Paul and Michael for a quick response and an educated one!  You have given me food for thought and I will mull this over, thanks again!

Posts 1353
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 6:37 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:

Thank you Paul and Michael for a quick response and an educated one!  You have given me food for thought and I will mull this over, thanks again!

The 30 day return policy is of course the best way to decide for yourself.

Posts 7511
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 9:46 AM

Mathew Haferkamp:

I like it because his commentaries will preach.  All you have to do is use his outline and add your own stuff and voila! His alliterated outlines are great 👍 In Some commentaries his outlines are more detailed than others, but over all, he has a lot of practical material; which is what I like for that type of commentary.  Great for sermons and Bible lessons.

I used his Psalms volume one Quarter to teach 13 Lessons on Selected Psalms and John Phillips saved me a lot of work; especially since I was asked to be a last minute replacement on that occasion.

As suggested, take advantage of the 30 day return policy to make sure you don’t miss out on the sale prices 👍😁👌

DAL 

Ps. Here’s a link to sample pages on Psalm 1: https://www.christianbook.com/exploring-psalms-vol-1-expository-commentary/john-phillips/9780825434921/pd/34922?product_redirect=1&search_term=John%20phillips%20psalms&Ntt=34922&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP 

Posts 437
Mathew Haferkamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 10:08 AM

Thank you for reminding me of that.  And a good commentary on the commentary DAL.  You have just about pushed me over on the buy side but will have to talk about some more here at home, if you know what I mean.  But thanks again for all, very helpful!!!

Posts 2483
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 11:22 AM

I consider Phillips to be very worthwhile but it's not core. You use it after you've done your primary exegesis. It fits in the secondary commentary category to develop a teaching.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 7511
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2020 2:32 PM

These great sales (Crossway and now Kregel) are great! I picked up a few other volumes by Kregel.  Lots of practical stuff! Robert Lighter seems like a great practical author and a classic commentary on Hebrews by Dwight Pentecost made my list.  I also got other books that had been on prepub a good while ago (e.g. Putting Jesus in His Place and others).  I wonder what the summer and back to school sales will offer. Too much too good!

DAL

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS